Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Curbed has some updates on West Village.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/6/8/...it-development

In addition to the "Coe" development progressing nicely, there is more going on up on Kercheval. This is quite surprising to me:

A few blocks away on Kercheval, Reimer Priester and Alex DeCamp, who renovated the Garland Buildinglast year, are converting three duplexes into mixed-use developments. Crain’s reports that three retailers have committed to the ground floor retail space, including Metropolis Cycles, a pizza shop, and a neighborhood bar. The buildings will also have a communal, outdoor deck.

This is what I would have expected:

"While much of the new development in Detroit has happened in downtown and Midtown, we’re starting to see more new development in the neighborhoods. Today we’re looking at a few developments that should be done by the end of the year." Curbed

Doesn't Curbed identify 50+ neighborhoods?

Each will have its own story: Its own history and its own future.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-09-17 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This is what I would have expected:

"While much of the new development in Detroit has happened in downtown and Midtown, we’re starting to see more new development in the neighborhoods. Today we’re looking at a few developments that should be done by the end of the year." Curbed

Doesn't Curbed identify 50+ neighborhoods?

Each will have its own story: Its own history and its own future.
    Unfortunately, it's unrealistic to expect that each neighborhood can develop in the way we are seeing in West Village. In fact, if development was spread across all the neighborhoods, it would severely limit the overall potential of economic recovery of the city. Concentration of development, business and uses is necessary. Some areas will see high development and growth while others will decrease. It may be wise to return to the ideas set forth by Detroit Future City, where certain areas of the city will need to find alternative uses beyond industrial or residential, including re-forestation / increased parkland. Detroit can be a healthier city even if it's a smaller one.

Other recent additions to West Village include:

La Boheme - a French café
    http://www.metrotimes.com/table-and-...to-tea-culture

Live Cycle Delight fitness center
    http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/03/...e-this-friday/

To open late in the year....
    Marrow - a butcher shop-restaurant to replace the delayed Geiger Eat Shop
    https://detroit.eater.com/2017/4/24/...t-west-village

Another fantastic development, called Gabriel Hall, was announced two year ago. "The hall, to be located at 8002 Kercheval St., will include a restaurant, a bar, and a live entertainment area on the first floor. A special event space and a museum paying homage to the Gabriel family and its contribution to jazz will occupy a second level."

That storefront hasn't been touched since that announcement. I hope it still happens.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-West-Village/

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-west-village

Detroit's West Village neighborhood could get another injection of development with a residential project that's in the works.
    New construction is planned at 8003 Kercheval Ave. at Van Dyke, according to a document obtained from the city of Detroit through a Freedom of Information Act request in relation to the city's pitch for Amazon's second headquarters. The document says 76 units are planned.
    Seems like a very ambitious project for Van Dyke/Kercheval. It would actually be West Village "adjacent" rather than in WV.

I would not be surprised if corruption, incompetence, and waiting for family and friends to be given the building out contracts are probably stalling these projects

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would not be surprised if corruption, incompetence, and waiting for family and friends to be given the building out contracts are probably stalling these projects
    Huh? What are you EVEN referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-west-village

Seems like a very ambitious project for Van Dyke/Kercheval. It would actually be West Village "adjacent" rather than in WV.
    Truth about that location. West Village is making great strides and growth. It may fill all its empty lots in 10 years. However the new youth in town don't say "Hello". They need to learn that a nice place to live is one with community!

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Huh? What are you EVEN referring to?
    BillyBBrew had stated a few years ago on this site that the city of Detroit handpicked contractors to do the renovations and build out to these buildings and had done a terrible job at it in 2014 and some projects were even abandoned. The same probably still goes for 2018. Noticed how many of the potential retail and restaurants that were slated to open in West Village aren't there. VanDyke and Agnes is still vacant eventhough many residents in the area had suggested that an organic grocer should go into that spot. It takes so long for the city selected contractors to get things right[[probably purpose) that many potential businesses just say forget it. If one of the elected officials or city planners pick of the litter decide to set up shop in the Village such as another wine shop, beauty shop, or something as such, the build out would be speedily and the retail would open in it's set time. I am glad that Sister Pie is staying and planning to extend into the next store from vacated by the beauty shop. Let's see how that go. The bike shop is still waiting to open in one of the homes that are on Kercheval. Waiting on the city's handpicked contractors to complete renovations could be discouraging on any potential business unless that business is one of their's

BillyBBrew had stated a few years ago on this site that the city of Detroit handpicked contractors to do the renovations and build out to these buildings and had done a terrible job at it in 2014 and some projects were even abandoned. The same probably still goes for 2018. Noticed how many of the potential retail and restaurants that were slated to open in West Village aren't there. VanDyke and Agnes is still vacant eventhough many residents in the area had suggested that an organic grocer should go into that spot. It takes so long for the city selected contractors to get things right[[probably purpose) that many potential businesses just say forget it. If one of the elected officials or city planners pick of the litter decide to set up shop in the Village such as another wine shop, beauty shop, or something as such, the build out would be speedily and the retail would open in it's set time. I am glad that Sister Pie is staying and planning to extend into the next store from vacated by the beauty shop. Let's see how that go. The bike shop is still waiting to open in one of the homes that are on Kercheval. Waiting on the city's handpicked contractors to complete renovations could be discouraging on any potential business unless that business is one of their's
    None of the current or proposed West Village real estate developments are "city" projects. The city doesn't own any of this land. It doesn't get to pick any contractors. The red tape reality of developing in the city no doubt adds to length of time it will take to complete these projects but these are private projects. There's no mayoral friends and family group controlling anything in West Village. It's not 2005 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    None of the current or proposed West Village real estate developments are "city" projects. The city doesn't own any of this land. It doesn't get to pick any contractors. The red tape reality of developing in the city no doubt adds to length of time it will take to complete these projects but these are private projects. There's no mayoral friends and family group controlling anything in West Village. It's not 2005 anymore.
    The city still select the contractors to work on these private projects. I never said that the Mayor has his hands in ir, Council person probably, but not Mayor

The city still select the contractors to work on these private projects. I never said that the Mayor has his hands in ir, Council person probably, but not Mayor
    Not sure if you're trolling here. Other than fourth-hand rumor, got any examples of a small project [[< $5million), privately financed, where the "city" or some elected official selected the contractor? Developers select their own contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Not sure if you're trolling here. Other than fourth-hand rumor, got any examples of a small project [[< $5million), privately financed, where the "city" or some elected official selected the contractor? Developers select their own contractors.
    I'm not trolling. I had spoken to a few restaurant and store owners in West Village as well as downtown. They all had said that the city's building and safety inspectors had come up with anything to prolong the final inspection so that they could open in a timely manner. These are businesses that had used their own contractors and probably were punished for doing so. As someone had said, the city is noorious for putting red tape in the paths of businesses that want to do business in the city unless you are a convenience store, nail shop, or cheesy furniture store

I'm not trolling. I had spoken to a few restaurant and store owners in West Village as well as downtown. They all had said that the city's building and safety inspectors had come up with anything to prolong the final inspection so that they could open in a timely manner. These are businesses that had used their own contractors and probably were punished for doing so. As someone had said, the city is noorious for putting red tape in the paths of businesses that want to do business in the city unless you are a convenience store, nail shop, or cheesy furniture store
    Why are people's stories always backed up with "I've spoken to owners"? These are typically untrue stories from my experience. So part of your patronizing an establishment is a question and answer session about local bureaucracy, and they just open right up to you? Is that what you're saying? Do you work?

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    Why are people's stories always backed up with "I've spoken to owners"? These are typically untrue stories from my experience. So part of your patronizing an establishment is a question and answer session about local bureaucracy, and they just open right up to you? Is that what you're saying? Do you work?
    There had been many times when establishments had to open months past their target dates. I and curious others had spoken to owners about the prolonged openings. Lol. Yes I do work a 9 to 5 to be exact

The project I was referring to a couple years ago with the contractor issues was a project involving 5 homes, 3 of them single family, and two of them 2 family. 3 of the five have been completed. One single family and the two 2 family flats.

The reason the city had a list of contractors to choose from is because there was government money involved in those projects. If you are doing private investment, you can use whoever you want so long as the end product meets city codes.

As far as things not opening. I see movement here every day. Most places do not open when they are supposed to. This is due to labor shortages, weather, lack of funds, etc. I feel a very positive vibe here and see it only getting better at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    The project I was referring to a couple years ago with the contractor issues was a project involving 5 homes, 3 of them single family, and two of them 2 family. 3 of the five have been completed. One single family and the two 2 family flats.

The reason the city had a list of contractors to choose from is because there was government money involved in those projects. If you are doing private investment, you can use whoever you want so long as the end product meets city codes.

As far as things not opening. I see movement here every day. Most places do not open when they are supposed to. This is due to labor shortages, weather, lack of funds, etc. I feel a very positive vibe here and see it only getting better at this point.
    Is anything going on with the final 2 properties?

Can someone let me know what the status is of the “Parker Durand” project at the intersection of VanDyke and Kercheval? This article mentioned that it commenced construction at the end of November 2019 but I haven’t seen any updates.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...oits-eastside/

Name:  A20E9189-BCB6-4FF9-B9A2-30948B70821F.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  98.6 KB

The framing has gone up to the top/fourth floor. Looks like things are progressing nicely.

The Kercheval corridor from Mt Elliott through McClellan is about to explode. I am looking to invest in Islandview right now. Pretty soon it will be unrecognizable.

Can someone let me know what the status is of the “Parker Durand” project at the intersection of VanDyke and Kercheval? This article mentioned that it commenced construction at the end of November 2019 but I haven’t seen any updates.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...oits-eastside/

Name:  A20E9189-BCB6-4FF9-B9A2-30948B70821F.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  98.6 KB
    There's a youtube channel named "Frankai Videos". He keeps up with the updates of development progress throught out the city. He did a video of the VanDyke and Kercheval area not too long ago[[last month). Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_YB2XB9GdE&t=1s
    Last edited by THE FURY 617; December-12-20 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The Kercheval corridor from Mt Elliott through McClellan is about to explode. I am looking to invest in Islandview right now. Pretty soon it will be unrecognizable.
    I’d love to see that happen. When I lived on Parker in the early 1980’s, the Kercheval boundary of WV was pretty bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FURY 617 View Post
    There's a youtube channel named "Frankai Videos". He keeps up with the updates of development progress throught out the city. He did a video of the VanDyke and Kercheval area not too long ago[[last month). Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_YB2XB9GdE&t=1s
    Thanks for the link!

In the video, I saw what appeared to be renovated row houses on Kercheval at Field.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-12-20 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks for the link!
    Anytime!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    That's what I've been hoping, and once Lafayette Park prices got up closer to where they should be, then Eastern Market, was considering myself.
    But I couldn't sustain the risk, nor could I convince my wife.
    How could I? My pitch was half-hearted, she sensed that. I didn't disagree.
    In retrospect, and from an investment standpoint, it was early. But who could've predicted the last few years? Not me.
    I hope you're right, and the time is now.
    When investors come who invest themselves by living there too, critical mass will occur.
    Real folks create real value in real estate.
    Vultures in it for the flip-- invested only as an investment, disinterested in the community-- don't make good neighbors.
    A good neighborhood is key to real estate value, and a good neighborhood a disinterested investor does not create.
    Last edited by bust; December-12-20 at 10:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast