Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    You don't think a community garden is more likely to spur interest than an overgrown lot with no tangible payoff?
    See? Everybody's so touchy. I'm just pointing out how the overgrown lot couldn't be tended, so something much more intensive is planned for the site, and wondering how much sense that makes. But don't worry. It's obvious I'm an enemy of progress and must be silenced. How dare I prefer the quaint and bucolic to the brand-new and interesting plans afoot. Maybe it's because I hate America ...

Pfffttt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    See? Everybody's so touchy. I'm just pointing out how the overgrown lot couldn't be tended, so something much more intensive is planned for the site, and wondering how much sense that makes. But don't worry. It's obvious I'm an enemy of progress and must be silenced. How dare I prefer the quaint and bucolic to the brand-new and interesting plans afoot. Maybe it's because I hate America ...

Pfffttt ...
    Sounds like the only person who is "touchy" here is you. I responded to your argument with a question that you chose not to answer.

"They cleared the land of the grass that was there, and planted crops. This year no garden was planted. No exaggeration, the weeds were 4 & 5 feet tall! Last Sunday, I saw a couple of local gentlemen, with sickles, taking the weedbed down. As much as I'm for getting rid of the blight, and the greenies of Detroit, someone knowlegeable needs to be put in charge of operations"

FWIW - - it's common practice for farmers to give their land a break and letting it veg over for a season. It provides a lot of good stuff for the soil. Most things grown in the city should be in beds any way but if they are going direct then perhaps they are taking the environmental conscience route of resuscitating the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "They cleared the land of the grass that was there, and planted crops. This year no garden was planted. No exaggeration, the weeds were 4 & 5 feet tall! Last Sunday, I saw a couple of local gentlemen, with sickles, taking the weedbed down. As much as I'm for getting rid of the blight, and the greenies of Detroit, someone knowlegeable needs to be put in charge of operations"

FWIW - - it's common practice for farmers to give their land a break and letting it veg over for a season. It provides a lot of good stuff for the soil. Most things grown in the city should be in beds any way but if they are going direct then perhaps they are taking the environmental conscience route of resuscitating the soil.
    Controlled farming, yes, yupsters that lose interest and let the lot get overgrown because they've now moved onto NEW interests, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Controlled farming, yes, yupsters that lose interest and let the lot get overgrown because they've now moved onto NEW interests, no.
    And you know this for a fact ______________, ____________ and _______________.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    And you know this for a fact ______________, ____________ and _______________.
    Because I actually live here, see abandoned "Urban Farms", and know who was running them. You?

I have spoken with the blight authority folks and they tell me they have no plan nor role in re-purposing this land. Their only goal is to clear it and plant a low growth vegetation, which they believe will promote safety.

I, for one, think this project is over-hyped, and we'd be better off spending resources attracting people and rehabbing buildings than clearing whole blocks of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I have spoken with the blight authority folks and they tell me they have no plan nor role in re-purposing this land. Their only goal is to clear it and plant a low growth vegetation, which they believe will promote safety.

I, for one, think this project is over-hyped, and we'd be better off spending resources attracting people and rehabbing buildings than clearing whole blocks of the city.

Remove everything useless, leave everything useful. Other then that, your making an even bigger mess.

That's what they say, but their actions suggest otherwise.

This is clearly another part of the Detroit Works Project [[albeit a small part).

You're lucky then. If you have lived in an area that has been severely blighted you would know that, or been victim to the crime that exists. Blight is an opportunity to the bottom-feeders.

Its an extreme example of the broken window theory.

If you can present a developer with an empty plot of land, cleared of vegetation and blighted structures, I'd imagine they would be more open to developing that property vs. one that hasn't been touched. This is a small project that is important in cutting down on some of the sketchiness that happens in these blighted areas.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Sounds like the only person who is "touchy" here is you. I responded to your argument with a question that you chose not to answer.
    Haha. That's funny. You were so ready to jump in my shit. I could literally feel the double-take through the internets ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Haha. That's funny. You were so ready to jump in my shit. I could literally feel the double-take through the internets ...
    I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm still so ready to find out how or why you can't differentiate between an action with reward and an action without reward.