Does anyone know if a city can tell the federal government that it doesn't want to redevelop a housing "projects" site with the poor in mind? I have wondered this question since the Jeffries West have been redeveloped into Woodbridge Estates and now the Jeffries East and Herman Gardens sites are being redeveloped with the stipulation that a certain percentage of the housing go to low income people.

I know redevelopment has occurred or is occurring in the projects just mentioned, but what about the Brewster-Douglass housing project, which is now closed? With its proximity to Brush Park, can the city of Detroit say to the federal government that because it wants more upscale housing in the area that it doesn't want to redevelop the land with a percentage of the housing units going to low income residents? Is the city forced to continue to use this land for housing a percentage of the poor?

Well, it's clear from my questions that I don't think the Brewster-Douglass housing project needs to be redeveloped like the Jeffries or Herman Gardens projects. Given the fact that the Brewster Homes housing project, situated just north of the Brewster-Douglass housing project, was build for low income residents, I think the remaining housing project should be redeveloped for market-rate housing in order to build up the rest of Brush Park. In addition, former residents of the Brewster-Douglass housing project could move into the Herman Gardens project [[now called Gardenview Estates). What are your thoughts?