Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default What is this building? [Forest Arms Apartments]

UPDATE: Forest Arms Restoration nearing completion 8 years after being gutted by fire. Photo during Dally in the Alley 2016.

==============================
    Is anybody here familiar with THIS building? Who owns it, when did it become abandoned and what are its prospects for the future?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...=12,238.3,,0,0

That's Forest Arms apartments, and it was occupied but then there was a fire a few years ago [[I forget how many).

It's just taking them a long time to get it fixed back up.

It was occupied but burned around 2008. Scott Lowell [[Traffic Jam, Bronx, numerous apartments around the area) purchased it. I believe he's partnered with Midtown Detroit, Inc. to stabilize it. Full renovation is planned for the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That's Forest Arms apartments, and it was occupied but then there was a fire a few years ago [[I forget how many).

It's just taking them a long time to get it fixed back up.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    It was occupied but burned around 2008. Scott Lowell [[Traffic Jam, Bronx, numerous apartments around the area) purchased it. I believe he's partnered with Midtown Detroit, Inc. to stabilize it. Full renovation is planned for the near future.
    Hey thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. And HP... how soon is near future? Was there any sort of time table put out?

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Hey thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. And HP... how soon is near future? Was there any sort of time table put out?
    My girlfriend lived right behind Forest Arms a little while back, and they are actively working on stabilizing it, but it seems to be a very small crew pulling out, say, fridges and washers and stuff like that. I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's [[anyone with links, appreciate it) but the entire Midtown+ area threw a huge fit and he caved real quick. I would love to see Forest Arms get rehabbed, I always loved that building.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's
    I am pretty certain this was not true.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    My girlfriend lived right behind Forest Arms a little while back, and they are actively working on stabilizing it, but it seems to be a very small crew pulling out, say, fridges and washers and stuff like that. I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's [[anyone with links, appreciate it) but the entire Midtown+ area threw a huge fit and he caved real quick. I would love to see Forest Arms get rehabbed, I always loved that building.
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Designed by Baxter & O'Dell. Forest Apartments 4625 Second built in 1905 Warren-Prentis Historic District.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I recently found the architect of the building next door to the south of the Forest Apartments. Designed by Charles E. Shippey. Biltmore Apartments 4609 Second Avenue built in 1915 Warren-Prentis Historic District. Included is an image from a 1915 issue of Ohio Architect, Engineer & Builder magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow! Sad that they removed the cool balconies. Those were a nice amenity. Thanks for the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I recently found the architect of the building next door to the south of the Forest Apartments. Designed by Charles E. Shippey. Biltmore Apartments 4609 Second Avenue built in 1915 Warren-Prentis Historic District. Included is an image from a 1915 issue of Ohio Architect, Engineer & Builder magazine.

I lived there, in the late sixties. Worked as "caretaker" for nearly a year. It was beautiful, inside and out. Mostly Wayne State students on the lower floors, but many long time tenants upstairs: Faculty, some professionals, and many who lived there for years and even decades.
    Toyed with the idea of leasing an apartment upon retirement one day. If/when it is actually restored, I suspect the rent will be considerably higher than the 125 dollars per month we paid then!

I'm at the point where now I'm just stunned and dissapointed this building is taking so long to renovate. I remember photographing this building in ruins back when I was still living in Michigan. I take it this place was uninsured?

We lived next to the Bronx Bar in that cool Victorian house in 1969. At the time it wasn't in the best shape, looks better today. One of the other denizens of the building back then told a story about being there the day those porches fell off. I don't know if he was smoking something, but apparently there was a stability problem with the balconies. It's still a fine looking building.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    We lived next to the Bronx Bar in that cool Victorian house in 1969. At the time it wasn't in the best shape, looks better today. One of the other denizens of the building back then told a story about being there the day those porches fell off. I don't know if he was smoking something, but apparently there was a stability problem with the balconies. It's still a fine looking building.
    g:We were neighbors. Perhaps our paths crossed at Ho Ho Inn late nights, or at Henry Drugs [[Third & Forest), where I also worked. Went to the Bronx, from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I want us all to think long and hard about this. This is the kind of shortsighted behavior that has brought us, in large part, to where we are today: a terrifying city known for its vast tracts of vacant land.
    I totally agree with you, but what do you expect? I mean instead of seeing an insured building rebuilt, repaired and rehabbed within 9 months its taken 5 years. The problem is the fragments of Detroit's valuable neighborhood architecture are held by people with very little money to upgrade these buildings or rebuild after a disaster. Tearing down is the easy solution.

According to one of my guys-employee-Detroit guy in the loop- they just installed or are installing a geothermal heating/cooling system.

Forest Arms as seen during Dally in the Alley 2016. Restoration nearly completed and occupancy coming soon!

Now:

Then, after 2008 fire:

It would be nice to see pics of the new penthouse apartments on the roof.