Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    The suburbanites owe us since their dumptruck full of cash was what pushed Kwame over the top for his second term. All, or most, of the last slam ads against Hendrix came from big dollar suburban supporters like Karmanos.

With the total at 53%/47% there's a good chance the big dollars swayed the election. Just consider suburban dollars getting Duggan in office as an apology for 2005.
    what a misreading of the historical record. Did you blank out on the death of Rosa Parks? Clearly, it was that event that pushed the Souls to the Polls.

Yeah, I noticed the signs in places I would not have thought I'd see them. Not just the upper-middle class areas. He was seen campaigning on Harper near Hayes. Umm, that's the 'hood. Looks like the write-in had to be broad and not from a single strata easily explained or dismissed... Not just at certain precincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree, and I think 40,000 other Detroiters agree with you. Personally, I didn't think he had a snowball's chance in hell, then the other night I drove through a real 'hood part of Detroit. I was amazed @ the # of Duggan signs on people's lawns. I think: A.) Detroiters aren't as dumb as people make them out to be, and B.) I think Detroiters in general are tired of the City's status quo. I was never a big Duggan supporter from the get go, but after reading candidate interviews and ideas, he swayed me. I'm still not 100% sold on him, but I DO think he is the most qualified for the job. I just hope he isn't all BS.

Yep. Isn't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A few points I would like to make is there is no one profile for "Detroiters". Don't try to profile us. You would lose all bets. There is still amazing talent brains and yes even money still here...

For sure, he did come into some of our distressed areas and that had an impact I believe as well.

Duggan did major campaigning in the community, we appreciated he came to our homes. our churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For sure, he did come into some of our distressed areas and that had an impact I believe as well.
    He committed to going into all areas of the city.He has! I do have to say his campaign staff has done a superb job.

Oh to be young and energetic again.

The upcoming election will be super interesting. I will always vote. I can live if my choices are not selected. I just always encourage people to vote.

It always astounds me city or burb how many people do not live up to or respect their civic opportunity/duty

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I wonder how well that democracy would work if Duggan hadn't had double the cash [[and a dumptruck full of non-resident cash at that) to burn of his next nearest competition in the primary?
    Nope. I think American politics have been pretty enlightening in the past 5 years or so, for a couple reasons:

Americans of all shades appear pretty willing to put aside race when they think they've found the right man or, to a lesser extent, woman. As you correctly pointed out, President Obama was elected twice. Ironically, on a micro level, we still seem pretty wary of getting along.

What you're missing out is that President Obama won handily against a robot with infinite cash the last time. Money is influential, to be sure, but only to a point. The Romneybot was absolutely destroyed despite his, ahem, "traditional" appearance and his bottomless coffers. Ultimately we have the say when we fill in that oval, period. That IS democracy, regardless of some of the demented sophist parlor games of some individuals on here.

I also think you're a bit out of tune with Detroit politics. Mayhaffey was certainly high profile, but this past council was the first without multiple white persons on it, and Detroit has been 70 - 80% black for three decades now. Black folks have also been voting for white presidents and governors and senators for a long ass time now, so this isn't really all that surprising.

Also I'm calling Locke out right now. I'd like to see some sources of anyone saying they're voting for Duggan because he's white or in with the state. The vast majority of people wanted a change from the old guard and someone who was a turnaround expert with real world experience. But what do I know, I just live here.

A victory for Detroit, to be sure.
    Last edited by poobert; August-07-13 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And I think that city residents should be made to understand that the DETROIT zoo and Institute of Arts is funded not just by Detroiters... but all metro Detroiters. They are positively helping the city in some ways with their troubles.
    True, and in the same regard I would hope that the suburbs realize that the city of Detroit is taking on the lion's share of the homeless, mentally ill, half way houses, substance abuse centers, etc, etc. Or is that too taboo to discuss when talking about 'regionalization?' You'll have to excuse me if I'm not willing to kiss suburbaite ass for the nominal millage for the DIA and Zoo.

If we really want to have a discussion about regionalization let's get it all on the table

A few points I would like to make is there is no one profile for "Detroiters". Don't try to profile us.
    Uhh, it's okay to profile Detroiters. They are meaningless people. However, don't try to profile the suburbs. Those people matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Uhh, it's okay to profile Detroiters. They are meaningless people. However, don't try to profile the suburbs. Those people matter!
    I think there's enough profiling for both Detroit and surrounding areas to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That IS democracy, regardless of some of the demented sophist parlor games of some individuals on here.
    Boom. Headshot.

Also I'm calling Locke out right now. I'd like to see some sources of anyone saying they're voting for Duggan because he's white or in with the state.
    poobert, I don't always agree with you, but I do respect your opinion in most cases. But, I've got to ask about that statement. There may be no sources that are willing to go on the record, but do you really believe there isn't a big chunk of voters that supported Duggan because of his race?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    There may be no sources that are willing to go on the record, but do you really believe there isn't a big chunk of voters that supported Duggan because of his race?
    In this instance, it happens to be that the most reasonably competent, fit-to-lead person in the race is white.

If this were a situation where, say, Diane Bukowski was in the field of candidates, you'd probably have more data points suggesting that race wasn't a factor [[unless, of course, she got more than seven votes. Then I'd start raising those questions myself. )

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    In this instance, it happens to be that the most reasonably competent, fit-to-lead person in the race is white.

If this were a situation where, say, Diane Bukowski was in the field of candidates, you'd probably have more data points suggesting that race wasn't a factor [[unless, of course, she got more than seven votes. Then I'd start raising those questions myself. )
    So, because you believe the white candidate to be the best candidate, that means that bigoted whites didn't vote in this election? I'm not buying it.

So, because you believe the white candidate to be the best candidate, that means that bigoted whites didn't vote in this election? I'm not buying it.
    I thought all the bigoted white people moved to the suburbs!

It'll probably just be more difficult to isolate race from competence. Not saying it's completely race-neutral, though, hence my Bukowski counter-point.

Well, we're talking Detroit 2013. There aren't that many bigoted whites to go around.

You've got a white population of, say, 12%. That includes Hispanics who identify as white as well as Hispanic, Iraqis [[Warrendale), and Arabs [[far SW and Hamtramck area).

You're probably left with about 5 - 8% of the population being whites of European origin [[i.e. they look like Duggan). Of that, how many could vote, voted, and were bigots??

I'm not saying other groups can't be biased by any means. But self-loating folk, for lack of a better word, are pretty hard to come by.

poobert, I don't always agree with you, but I do respect your opinion in most cases. But, I've got to ask about that statement. There may be no sources that are willing to go on the record, but do you really believe there isn't a big chunk of voters that supported Duggan because of his race?
    My 2c. Of course some idiots supported MD solely because of race. There are no shortage of white idiots. No shortage of black idiots.

But so what. There are bigots out there. Its not a major factor.

What a relief it will be when all the interracial couples out there create a world of 'self-diverse' people who can't figure out why all the old people worry so much about race.

Also I'm calling Locke out right now. I'd like to see some sources of anyone saying they're voting for Duggan because he's white or in with the state.
    African-American people have called in to more than one talk show I listen to and said in various forms, "maybe it's time to give someone else a chance because we keep messing up." They have been taken to task for such low self-esteem, but that is the way they feel. Then, black people will admit to other blacks what they won't say to whites. They have also said, maybe it's time to let an outsider run things - as if Bing hadn't already fit that description. So, you might not want to believe me - but I bet others have heard similar things.

As for Duggan being "in with the state", as I said, if you have been listening to him, he himself has said the state will trust him if he is elected and it will expedite getting rid of the EM. People believe him and have said they will vote for him because if they vote for someone else the state will just keep the EM around longer.

Now, I have acknowledged that many voted for him because they truly believe he is the best qualified for the job. Why can't you acknowledge that many voted for him for other reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    African-American people have called in to more than one talk show I listen to and said in various forms, "maybe it's time to give someone else a chance because we keep messing up." They have been taken to task for such low self-esteem, but that is the way they feel. Then, black people will admit to other blacks what they won't say to whites. They have also said, maybe it's time to let an outsider run things - as if Bing hadn't already fit that description. So, you might not want to believe me - but I bet others have heard similar things.

As for Duggan being "in with the state", as I said, if you have been listening to him, he himself has said the state will trust him if he is elected and it will expedite getting rid of the EM. People believe him and have said they will vote for him because if they vote for someone else the state will just keep the EM around longer.

Now, I have acknowledged that many voted for him because they truly believe he is the best qualified for the job. Why can't you acknowledge that many voted for him for other reasons?
    Some blacks voted for Duggan because they really felt he is the best candidate but you also have some blacks who feel the "white man's water is wetter", needless to say the one's in the former category often get lumped into the latter since it makes for good talk radio especially the shows aimed at African-americans. People vote for certain people for all kinds of reasons. Us folks in Detroit know that only all too well. As far as Duggan being in with the state, that is something to consider. I suspect Snyder will get re-elected and it would probably be in our best interest to work with him and some Detroiters realize that. Snyder is not going to tell Orr or any other EFM to go home until a detailed plan of action is put in place and approved by Snyder. Duggan is at least addressing that, Benny at this point must think that once the 18 months are up its business as usual.

I'm looking forward to the precinct-to-precinct numbers that will speak to who voted for Duggan relative to areas. I've heard some talk that Duggan support was only in white concentrated areas. I don't believe that. But I can see how the idea suits a certain narrative [[of expectation).
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-09-13 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the precinct-to-precinct numbers that will speak to who voted for Duggan relative to areas. I've heard some talk that Duggan support was only in white concentrated areas. I don't believe that. But I can see how the ideas suits a certain narrative [[of expectation).
    I agree that will be interesting. I think an age group demographic would be more fascinating. I am not a betting person but in this case I'd say Duggan support came from all ethnicity's who are over 50 and life long residents.

We remember a city that had good schools, police response, street lights, consistent garbage pick up, clean alleys, street sweepers,trees trimmed, sewers cleaned, great rec centers, clean parks and list could go on. I guess we want the existing crony system gone. It is time for change. Wishful thinking I know. Detroit belongs to the people, not one race or religion.

I vote for who I feel is most qualified and most closely reflects my personal values. Race is not a factor to me, although I acknowledge, it is to some.

"I'm looking forward to the precinct-to-precinct numbers that will speak to who voted for Duggan relative to areas. I've heard some talk that Duggan support was only in white concentrated areas. I don't believe that. But I can see how the ideas suits a certain narrative [[of expectation)."

No way Duggan could have done that in "white concentrated areas" - whatever those are. In a city where 80% of the population isn't white, you can't win that number of votes by only getting votes from 20% of voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "I'm looking forward to the precinct-to-precinct numbers that will speak to who voted for Duggan relative to areas. I've heard some talk that Duggan support was only in white concentrated areas. I don't believe that. But I can see how the ideas suits a certain narrative [[of expectation)."

No way Duggan could have done that in "white concentrated areas" - whatever those are. In a city where 80% of the population isn't white, you can't win that number of votes by only getting votes from 20% of voters.
    Actually is there any "white concentrated areas" ? We are a very small percent in the city currently. We lived in EEV, a great community for 7 years, it is perceived as a white enclave, most of our neighbors were black or Asian.

As I have already posted this is just such a fascinating and I believe an important election. So many outstanding candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Precisely... The numbers don't add up for a 'white only' or even a white majority vote. Bottom line: Duggan carried a larger than expected percentage of black votes within the 17% voter turn out. That does'nt fit the politically correct narrative for some, but it is what it is.....

November is going to be interesting.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-09-13 at 09:07 AM.

On the "majority white district" voting thing, from Duggan's email blast this morning:
    Won 575 of the total 614 precincts [[94%)
    •Tied Napoleon in 7 precincts [[1%)

I wish we, the rest of Detroit included, would just drop the black/white thing. It's obvious that Detroiters think him the more qualified candidate, and put their money down. I hope he doesn't disapoint.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast