Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    voting for a black president overrules any local prejudice.
    No, but if it were all about race, if it were all about the "black guy" he wouldn't have carried any of them.
    The reality is [[and you may disagree) is that the locally, the concept that all black people vote alike is overwhelmingly accepted and stated time and time again with little to no basis.
    Well, I mean... c'mon... no basis? who was the last white person elected in Detroit? Mahaffey? for that matter, when was the last time black people as a group didn't overwhelmingly vote Democrat?

This bs argument isn't tied to white people.
    yes it is... you're doing it now. And it SURELY was done in 2008. "white america won't elect a black president"...blah blah...

It is complete bs and straight up bigotry.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by bailey; August-07-13 at 12:36 PM.

Now I have that song stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Roll out Tom Barrow...

With the massive write-in, it looks like democracy is alive and well in Detroit. Critics say democracy's been taken away. The voters voted otherwise.

Its amazing to see democracy work in picking a leader for Detroit -- something she desperately needs to get through this bankruptcy and into the future.

The winner may not have the power of the purse, but they can lead. MLK didn't have power of the purse. Leadership isn't just about money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    With the massive write-in, it looks like democracy is alive and well in Detroit. Critics say democracy's been taken away. The voters voted otherwise.

Its amazing to see democracy work in picking a leader for Detroit -- something she desperately needs to get through this bankruptcy and into the future.

The winner may not have the power of the purse, but they can lead. MLK didn't have power of the purse. Leadership isn't just about money.
    Hear, hear......

I wonder how well that democracy would work if Duggan hadn't had double the cash [[and a dumptruck full of non-resident cash at that) to burn of his next nearest competition in the primary?
    Last edited by bailey; August-07-13 at 01:09 PM.

A lot of chickens being counted here...

There is just so many posts I'd love to respond to but can't.

Must agree that "Me and my Barrow" is stuck in my mind now. That was funny.

A few points I would like to make is there is no one profile for "Detroiters". Don't try to profile us. You would lose all bets. There is still amazing talent brains and yes even money still here.

Apparently we can spell.

Last I am pleased at the roster of candidates we have for November.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...and a dumptruck full of non-resident cash at that...
    Why try to divide us up? We're all in this together. But no matter from where the money came -- the voters are speaking.

Manny tossed boatloads of non-resident cash too. Voters spoke differently then.

Money doesn't rule in the long run when citizens engage. Remove all campaign finance laws. Its only support entrenched interests.

I wonder how well that democracy would work if Duggan hadn't had double the cash [[and a dumptruck full of non-resident cash at that) to burn of his next nearest competition in the primary?
    The suburbanites owe us since their dumptruck full of cash was what pushed Kwame over the top for his second term. All, or most, of the last slam ads against Hendrix came from big dollar suburban supporters like Karmanos.

With the total at 53%/47% there's a good chance the big dollars swayed the election. Just consider suburban dollars getting Duggan in office as an apology for 2005.

The suburbanites owe us since their dumptruck full of cash was what pushed Kwame over the top for his second term. All, or most, of the last slam ads against Hendrix came from big dollar suburban supporters like Karmanos.

With the total at 53%/47% there's a good chance the big dollars swayed the election. Just consider suburban dollars getting Duggan in office as an apology for 2005.
    Funny that... I thought the constant calling Hendrix "Helmut" [[a German/Austrian name that his white Austrian mother gave him)... implying that he wasn't black enough helped tip the scale...

Blame the suburbs all you want Jt1... but there's enough blame to go around...

Strange comment. I really haven't seen buckets of money thrown at this primary. Commercials, mailings, cost, that is a given. The racist pac money ran way more commercials. Everyone does have their own agenda of course. Detroiters just said, they believe Duggan can do the job

Duggan did major campaigning in the community, we appreciated he came to our homes. our churches.

I imagine that donations from businesses will go way up now. Believe me it will Detroit businesses, not those "outsiders" you refer to. Perhaps those business owners don't live in the city [[many do) but they do business here and employ our residents.

Just a little evil fun, Detroiters can spell. As God is my witness, I love saying that.

Well sort of:
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...gan_got_44_395

"That made "Mike Duggan" the most popular variation, which was good for Mike Duggan, as he managed to overcome the problems of all write-in candidates everywhere, racking up 50 percent of the vote to trounce Benny Napoleon, who finished second with about 30 percent. The two will face off in the November 5 general election.

Voters also wrote in variations of "Mike Duggan:" 69 people made him more Irish by writing "Mick Duggan;" 38 went for "M Duggan;" 165 voted for "Mik Duggan;" 30 opted for "Mike Dugger;" four penciled in "Duggan Mike" and 59 gave their vote to "Mike Dyggan."
    Other variations of Duggan included Duggans, Duggun, Doggan, Daggen, Duggan Mayor, Diggan, Dugin, Douggan, Dugon, Duncan, Dummeh, Dockery, Dugken, Dulgon, Dummer, Dugeoi, duggad, Dugban, Duggny, Duggo, dugget, Duggs, Duggaw, Duggan the Whiteman, [[Duggan the Whiteman?), Dogges, Dugging, Cuggan, Den, Dggan, Doug, Diggeu, euggan, Dunmen, Goggan, Duooan and Dunggn."

I wouldn't say it's democracy at its finest. Listening to reasons people gave for voting for him, and some of his own reasons for why people should vote for him, I come to this conclusion: A great many voted for him because they believe the State approves of him and will likely go a little easier on Detroit with the EM hammer if he is elected. He intimated as much himself saying that he will tell the State, if he is elected, that now they have no excuse for saying there isn't effective leadership in Detroit, so they can let the EM go.

So, if the powers that be make it clear that they are going to continue to beat me over the head or withhold support from me unless I elect someone they approve of, I don't call that democracy. And, I am a coward if that is the reason I voted for him.

Many more voted for him because they truly believe it will be better for Detroit if Detroit has a white mayor. They are not necessarily racist, and they are not necessarily white themselves.

For all those who believe that he has the best plan, best intentions for all of Detroit and best ability [[regardless of his skin color) to turn Detroit around - they are democracy at its finest because they voted with sober minds [[even if I think they voted wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Blame the suburbs all you want Jt1... but there's enough blame to go around...
    You missed the fact that it was said partially as truth, partially as a joke. The reality is that the blame should go all around but it is typically confined to just blaming Detroiters for who was elected with no regard for whose dollars were flowing into which candidates coffers.

Lots of suburban dollars were behind Kwame [[which was bad) and lots of suburban dollars are behind Duggan [[which, to me is good)

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's democracy at its finest. Listening to reasons people gave for voting for him, and some of his own reasons for why people should vote for him, I come to this conclusion: A great many voted for him because they believe the State approves of him and will likely go a little easier on Detroit with the EM hammer if he is elected. He intimated as much himself saying that he will tell the State, if he is elected, that now they have no excuse for saying there isn't effective leadership in Detroit, so they can let the EM go.

So, if the powers that be make it clear that they are going to continue to beat me over the head or withhold support from me unless I elect someone they approve of, I don't call that democracy. And, I am a coward if that is the reason I voted for him.

Many more voted for him because they truly believe it will be better for Detroit if Detroit has a white mayor. They are not necessarily racist, and they are not necessarily white themselves.

For all those who believe that he has the best plan, best intentions for all of Detroit and best ability [[regardless of his skin color) to turn Detroit around - they are democracy at its finest because they voted with sober minds [[even if I think they voted wrong).
    Democracy is where people vote. Lots of justification about goals and purposes is not. The people voted. And the write-in volume suggests they are engaged. Let's celebrate that -- regardless of who you support.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Well sort of:
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...gan_got_44_395

"That made "Mike Duggan" the most popular variation, which was good for Mike Duggan, as he managed to overcome the problems of all write-in candidates everywhere, racking up 50 percent of the vote to trounce Benny Napoleon, who finished second with about 30 percent. The two will face off in the November 5 general election.

Voters also wrote in variations of "Mike Duggan:" 69 people made him more Irish by writing "Mick Duggan;" 38 went for "M Duggan;" 165 voted for "Mik Duggan;" 30 opted for "Mike Dugger;" four penciled in "Duggan Mike" and 59 gave their vote to "Mike Dyggan."
    Other variations of Duggan included Duggans, Duggun, Doggan, Daggen, Duggan Mayor, Diggan, Dugin, Douggan, Dugon, Duncan, Dummeh, Dockery, Dugken, Dulgon, Dummer, Dugeoi, duggad, Dugban, Duggny, Duggo, dugget, Duggs, Duggaw, Duggan the Whiteman, [[Duggan the Whiteman?), Dogges, Dugging, Cuggan, Den, Dggan, Doug, Diggeu, euggan, Dunmen, Goggan, Duooan and Dunggn."
    Not one instance of Jim Duggan. So disappointing.

Democracy is where people vote. Lots of justification about goals and purposes is not. The people voted. And the write-in volume suggests they are engaged. Let's celebrate that -- regardless of who you support.
    Of course that's not true. If it was, we wouldn't have groups traveling over the globe to other countries to try and ensure that people aren't intimidated into not voting or into voting for a particular individual. All of this is done in the name of democracy.

Very little involving homo sapiens is as cut and dry or black and white as some people represent it to be. Therefore, some of us are going to care about goals and purposes when we talk about democracy and especially when we talk about voting [[because democracy is certainly more than voting). And we don't understand people who don't care about that any more than they understand why we do care - no matter who you support.

Da' Barrow dun wheeled hisse'f into Fifth Place:

Mike Duggan [[write-in) 46%

Benny Napolean 30%

Krystal Crittendon 6%

Lisa Howze 5%

Tom Barrow 4%
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/mi...ection-results

Sho' dun hisse'f proud, eh?

Maybe he'll shut up and go away now. For good.

That really is the bottom line and the tipping point to a positive future in the city.

I think others would be hard pressed to now say the city is as it is because the residents did not care,it may not be right the way things go down sometimes but the way things were going or were at,the stage needed to be set,sure I do not live there as of yet but it is clear you deserve better.

A strong Detroit is a strong Michigan,a strong Michigan is a part of a strong America so like it or not we are all in this together.

But it is not to say to let ones guard down because there will always be some who are self indulgent and who could care less about what happens to their fellow citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Da' Barrow dun wheeled hisse'f into Fifth Place:

Maybe he'll shut up and go away now. For good.
    I do not think he ever will,kinda like a gnat buzzing around your head,you can swat it away but it just keeps coming back.

Just annoying.

You missed the fact that it was said partially as truth, partially as a joke. The reality is that the blame should go all around but it is typically confined to just blaming Detroiters for who was elected with no regard for whose dollars were flowing into which candidates coffers.

Lots of suburban dollars were behind Kwame [[which was bad) and lots of suburban dollars are behind Duggan [[which, to me is good)
    OK sorry jt1... you need to use more of these...

One gray area is that MANY Detroit businessmen do live in the suburbs... so that kind of blurs the lines a bit... they may be suburbanites... but Ilitch, Karmanos, Penske, et al... do have a very strong interest in who's running Detroit. But it's more from a perspective of a suburbanite protecting their Detroit interests... than a suburbanite without any attachment to the city... meddling in Detroit's elections...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK sorry jt1... you need to use more of these...

One gray area is that MANY Detroit businessmen do live in the suburbs... so that kind of blurs the lines a bit... they may be suburbanites... but Ilitch, Karmanos, Penske, et al... do have a very strong interest in who's running Detroit. But it's more from a perspective of a suburbanite protecting their Detroit interests... than a suburbanite without any attachment to the city... meddling in Detroit's elections...
    How do we get past this concern about the suburbs from some factions in the city. This divide is only relevant because some people won't let go of it. The sooner we stop dividing, the sooner we won't be divided.

How do we get past this concern about the suburbs from some factions in the city. This divide is only relevant because some people won't let go of it. The sooner we stop dividing, the sooner we won't be divided.
    Very good question. I think one area is the fact that many suburbs now have significant African-American populations. It's not just black city vs. white suburbs. It's much more complex than that now...

And I think that city residents should be made to understand that the DETROIT zoo and Institute of Arts is funded not just by Detroiters... but all metro Detroiters. They are positively helping the city in some ways with their troubles.

I do feel that Mike Duggan will be a good bridge between the two. I had hoped that Bing would be that way... but he's nearly invisible when it comes to practically everything....

"How do we get past this concern about the suburbs from some factions in the city. This divide is only relevant because some people won't let go of it. The sooner we stop dividing, the sooner we won't be divided."

Why should Detroiters pretend that the meddling of the Detroit's business interests that helped to get Kwame re-elected and financed him even after all of the skeletons rolled out of the closet never happened? You act like this is baseless paranoia when it is something that actually happened.

How can you characterize someone as a "meddler in Detroit business" when that person owns far more property in Detroit than you and all your friends own together, employs more Detroiters than you do, spends all his working hours in Detroit [[as you may not), proudly writes his name on a building or many buildings in Detroit, spends his evenings at charity events in Detroit, writes many thousands of dollars in checks to Detroit charities, clinics, and schools; underwrites police vehicles and parks programming and on and on. He is just a meddler in your book?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast