Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Will you care so much when bankruptcy is over and the fate of your pension is decided? Your posting history makes it clear that your concern has nothing to do with the residents and the state of the city, it is just your pension that is driving you to give a damn.
    Yes, I will care, just as much after bankruptcy [[if it happens) and the fate of my pension is decided [[probably more than some Detroiters).

Detroit was my home for 50 of my near 70 years of life, so I call it my hometown to anyone who asks. 30 of those 50 years were spent working for Detroit in the DFD. I had a high school education [[not 8th grade as Orr so aptly put it), when I began my career. When I say "I", remember, I am not only speaking for myself, but for others who did the same thing I did.

I signed paperwork when I began my career stating that I would live in the City for the entire time I worked for Detroit, and I did just that. I stayed, despite no decent services, faulty equipment, poor living conditions, sub-standard schools, high taxes, and crime through the roof.

I went to work for the City because it offered a stable job with little pay though, unlike private industry or even the auto industry. No layoffs, a health plan, and a chance to move up in the ranks; and it offered a retirement pension and health care as part of the package. The pension is a huge concern of mine and all of the other dedicated employees who are now at risk of losing it because of bad management and corrupt politicians. Yes, my pension is driving me to fight with every breath I have left. Fortunately for me, I scrimped and saved and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to live another 10 years or so and pay my bills. Unlike some other retirees who get a very small pension amount and a limited health care plan.

Your badgering me about my pension only inflames me more because you and many others have no concept of what we did, what was promised, and contractural agreements that are now in question. As I said before, I am too old to do anything else and I certainly can't strap on 80 lbs. of equipment and run into places that you have never dreamed of...that's what I and others did for Detroit, so, yes, Detroit owes us this. Sell the art, sell Belle Isle, lease it, I don't give two shits, but to take away what we all worked so hard for is incomprehensible.

I voted at lunchtime. The good thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait. The bad thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I signed paperwork when I began my career stating that I would live in the City for the entire time I worked for Detroit, and I did just that. I stayed, despite no decent services, faulty equipment, poor living conditions, sub-standard schools, high taxes, and crime through the roof.
    So you are clearly fine that the current 700,000 people see as bad or worse conditions that you 'endured' to keep your job.

I went to work for the City because it offered a stable job with little pay though, unlike private industry or even the auto industry. No layoffs, a health plan, and a chance to move up in the ranks; and it offered a retirement pension and health care as part of the package. The pension is a huge concern of mine and all of the other dedicated employees who are now at risk of losing it because of bad management and corrupt politicians. Yes, my pension is driving me to fight with every breath I have left. Fortunately for me, I scrimped and saved and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to live another 10 years or so and pay my bills. Unlike some other retirees who get a very small pension amount and a limited health care plan.
    So the reality of the situation [[largely brought on during your 50 years here) should be absorbed by everyone except you. Residents, current employees, everyone else that was promised something should take a hit as long as you don't. Got it. Next time, just admit that you expect others to give everything up but you don't expect to lose a thing.

I'm glad you scrimped and saved because anyone with anything beyond an 8th grade education would have clearly seen that the pension system is not sustainable. Based on the 1945 and the 50 years you mention, you left the city in 1995. If anyone at that point didn't see this coming was blind or naive. It;s unfortunate that you spent 50 years in a city, saw population, tax and services decline to the point it did and still thought that your pension and healthcare was untouchable. I may have a deal to ensure your retirement is stable. Are you interested in buying a bridge?

Your badgering me about my pension only inflames me more because you and many others have no concept of what we did, what was promised, and contractural agreements that are now in question.
    Quite an assumption about what I do or do not have a concept of.

As I said before, I am too old to do anything else and I certainly can't strap on 80 lbs. of equipment and run into places that you have never dreamed of...that's what I and others did for Detroit, so, yes, Detroit owes us this.
    Detroit owes you but everyone else should take a hit. I'm pretty sure there is a term for that. It's called selfish.

Sell the art, sell Belle Isle, lease it, I don't give two shits, but to take away what we all worked so hard for is incomprehensible.
    Paraphrased: take away from everyone else but don't touch me. Or, a little less elegant, 'fuck you, I want mine"

All that said, I respect the hell out of people that have and currently serve in DPD and DFD but the reality is that there is no money and everyone needs to take a hit, pensions, bondholders, city residents, etc, etc.

I wish we could pay pensioners a great living and pay current DPD and DFD a living wage [[their pay is the real tragedy) but reality dictates otherwise.

Sorry Cla, didn't know you ever even lived here. Promises [[pension) are promises. I understand fixed income. I'll say a prayer for you and others in your situation.

I mostly get annoyed when folks who never lived or worked here has a bad attitude and posts. My bad.

My husband and I were #2 and #3 at 7:03 AM. Sadly No one was in line behind us.

Honestly this is just such a weird [[even for Detroit) election. The write in ballots did not even get mailed out on time.

I am serious , agree or don't agree with me, we need to vote our choice.

Two G's folks, my blatant last bid this last round for the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I voted at lunchtime. The good thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait. The bad thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait.
    That is funny and sad at the same time but do remember lots of people vote absentee.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    Hollier for 5
    That was a a tough choice but yes I voted for Hollier.

I filled in some ovals today. They gave me a free sticker. It's kind of hard for people to get excited about democracy when an emergency manager they didn't vote for is running the show...

#61 at my precinct in midtown at 4:10 pm. Other precincts at the church were around 150

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I filled in some ovals today. They gave me a free sticker. It's kind of hard for people to get excited about democracy when an emergency manager they didn't vote for is running the show...
    Nothing but truth. Ya feel like a damn fool voting when less than 9 months ago our fuckhead governor treated the ballots of a majority of the state like so much toilet paper.

Still did it though.

Mayor - The white dude. The right dude.

District - Bowers [[Easily could have been Pinkins.)

At Large -McAllister, Rayford-Park

Clerk - Lucinda Darrah. Winfrey is a fuckup, none of the others were that impressive, and she was the only one that actually personally asked me for a vote. Whatevs.

Following results here...
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...g#.UgGnCm2mUrX

"Write in" has about half the votes. Benny's in second with ~30%. Krittendon in third with 6%.

I grudgingly voted for the "Write-In."

I voted Scott Benson for District 3

Who gives a fuck about the City Clerk or at-large Council? I didn't vote in the incumbents though.

Vote #77.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    All that said, I respect the hell out of people that have and currently serve in DPD and DFD but the reality is that there is no money and everyone needs to take a hit, pensions, bondholders, city residents, etc, etc.

I wish we could pay pensioners a great living and pay current DPD and DFD a living wage [[their pay is the real tragedy) but reality dictates otherwise.
    Agreed jt1.

Guess I don't know why I care so much about this election. I really do love my city and regardless, it is just goofy to me that people don't vote, people need to vote. Or plain shut up!

Oh forgot to say thanks to all that voted. This one is a bizarre election. Write ins, mail ins late, nothing is quite normal.

My approval is of course meaningless but I love it when people exercise their civic responsibility.

I understand a small precinct on the east side was high for Duggan in the 'write in' catagorie [[not EEV area). We'll see more in the AM and beyond. I will not be surprised if Duggan comes in at number #2. An incredible write in campaign....

Ummm, Dugg-eon who?
    Detroiter's can spell....... and did here and there, perhaps more as the final numbers are tallied.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-13 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Voted at 7:25 pm #158, 15% turnout in my precinct.

This write-in was the best thing that happened for Duggan. He is killing Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I understand a small precinct on the east side was high for Duggan in the 'write in' catagorie [[not EEV area). We'll see more in the AM and beyond. I will not be surprised if Duggan comes in at number #2. An incredible write in campaign....

Ummm, Dugg-eon who?
    Detroiter's can spell....... and did here and there, perhaps more as the final number are tallied.
    Duggan may come in first after all the votes are counted. If he does, Benny will have an uphill battle in the general.

Like him or not, he's [[Duggan) in 'there's so to speak. Some of the news channels have a big giant "?" to account of about 44-51% of the 'write ins'.... with Napoleon second and Crenteten pulling up the rear. How many of those in the questionable zone votes represent the 'barber' dude?

REALLY?

To have opted for that would have been wasted vote, watering down votes for Napolean? Duh. What advantage there to those seeking to ditch the Duggan factor out of hand???

I think more of those "?" votes are going to be Duggan -- more that originally thought. Interesting primary, too poor turnout overall though...

Though my west side precinct had a good turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    This write-in was the best thing that happened for Duggan. He is killing Benny.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-13 at 11:51 PM.

Imagine that... and I don't think that vote came from a singular type of person or community. But the fat lady has not sung yet!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Duggan may come in first after all the votes are counted. If he does, Benny will have an uphill battle in the general.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Ummm, Dugg-eon who?
    Detroiter's can spell....... and did here and there, perhaps more as the final number are tallied.
    Thank you Zacha, Detroiters can spell. Duggan may not be everyone's candidate, fine with me. He is my choice.

I wish you could see the poetry my neighbor kids write. Outstanding!.

As to non Detroiters who think we are all illiterate louts, sending a loud fart and you all know I wanted to say something else.

so now.. er, two weeks from now-- maybe-- will real issues get prominently discussed?

For me, it's not good enough to say you don't like Orr/the bankruptcy, or even Snyder..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast