Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    It's called taxation without representation
    This is the second time in the past two days I have seen the phrase "taxation without representation" used incorrectly by angry suburban folk so I'm going to set the record straight.

"Taxation without representation" was the phrase used by the colonists as a protest against their lack of sending a representative to Parliament, despite paying taxes to the crown. They could elect local councils, but had no representative in the supreme legislative house of their country. Last I checked, you can vote for all your legislators, as well as executives as a bonus, so, you are being represented. Your tax dollars at work, homie.

Secondly, the irony with your statement is that not only did you have representation in the DIA millage, you had direct representation. You were the one to cast the vote, not your elected representative [[let alone no one). Then you go and imply that you had no say in the matter. Well, sorry it didn't go the way you liked, that's democracy.

The proposal was also printed on the ballot in approved language. So none of this nonsense about it said something it didn't do. That's frankly not true. If you don't like upcoming millage proposals, fill in the oval next to the NO completely, using black ink. Easy and fun.

And yes, you all have a stake. You all get to visit for free, as the millage stated. Times 4 million people means those 4 million people all get to visit for free as well.

NEXT!
    Last edited by poobert; August-08-13 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This is the second time in the past two days I have seen the phrase "taxation without representation" used incorrectly by angry suburban folk so I'm going to set the record straight.

"Taxation without representation" was the phrase used by the colonists as a protest against their lack of sending a representative to Parliament, despite paying taxes to the crown. They could elect local councils, but had no representative in the supreme legislative house of their country. Last I checked, you can vote for all your legislators, as well as executives as a bonus, so, you are being represented. Your tax dollars at work, homie.

Secondly, the irony with your statement is that not only did you have representation in the DIA millage, you had direct representation. You were the one to cast the vote, not your elected representative [[let alone no one). Then you go and imply that you had no say in the matter. Well, sorry it didn't go the way you liked, that's democracy.

The proposal was also printed on the ballot in approved language. So none of this nonsense about it said something it didn't do. That's frankly not true. If you don't like upcoming millage proposals, fill in the oval next to the NO completely, using black ink. Easy and fun.

And yes, you all have a stake. You all get to visit for free, as the millage stated. Times 4 million people means those 4 million people all get to visit for free as well.

NEXT!
    How come I have no say-so about my tax dollars being used to fund Ilitch's stadium & "development"? Don't the citizens have a right to vote on THAT like they did on the DIA millage?

"Don't the citizens have a right to vote on THAT like they did on the DIA millage?"

You did vote on that when you voted for representation. I agree with the spirit of your post, re: spending tax money I thought we didn't have. However, you do have the power to vote against those who you think did not do a good job, right? Unless you live in the city of Detroit, then you have a leader in place that you did not directly vote for. That's lack of representation, if anything.

Will you be joining me in calling Rick's office and complaining about why we are handing out corporate welfare in a bankrupt city?

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Don't the citizens have a right to vote on THAT like they did on the DIA millage?"

You did vote on that when you voted for representation. I agree with the spirit of your post, re: spending tax money I thought we didn't have. However, you do have the power to vote against those who you think did not do a good job, right? Unless you live in the city of Detroit, then you have a leader in place that you did not directly vote for. That's lack of representation, if anything.

Will you be joining me in calling Rick's office and complaining about why we are handing out corporate welfare in a bankrupt city?
    Your arguments have nothing to do with the poobert's original post about the DIA millage passing. You're mixing in "Occupy Lansing" with "Jail Banksters". My question was why one had to be voted on, the other a given. I do understand the concept of electing officials, and commend you on your civic mindedness.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4