Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Think of a once large, mighty animal that is now sick and dying. The other animals are hovering over it, ready to pick it's bones. Family members can only howl and cry but do nothing to save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

"My name is Frank Rizzo. I live in a mid-sized city in Michigan that happens to be a few miles from Detroit. As somebody who has watched Detroit's long downward spiral, I feel qualified to say a few words here.
    "First of all, the real problem with Detroit is that it's a classic example of throwing money at a problem. Every year, as state and U.S. taxpayers, our tax dollars are funneled into that city to pay for poor people. I guess the idea is so that they never have to get up off their keisters to work like my parents did, so that their kids can have hot breakfasts, fancy schools, medical care and two Cadillacs in the garage for Mom and Dad. That's the problem with free money: It just encourages bad behavior.
    "So I say, not one penny of my taxes should go to Detroit. Not a penny.
    "Although I would add one exception: That Mike Ilitch guy should get that deal with the state for the stadium. All this whining about giving him money to complete this wonderful project is just that: whining. We need a new hockey stadium downtown. The Joe Louis Arena is already, like, 35 years old! It's decrepit. And the man clearly knows how to appreciate money: He's a billionaire! So at least he's earned the right to be trusted with the taxpayers' money.
    "But other than that one exception, I say no taxes should go to that hellhole. If the people there don't like it, they can move somewhere else. [[Although I hope they don't move here!)"
    --Frank Rizzo, resident of undisclosed Detroit suburb

There's an innate and genuine curiosity amongst people here in NYC when they found out I moved from Detroit. Usually, it starts with this:

"I hear Detroit's really on the upswing and a lot of people are moving there. Is that true? How was it?"

So, it's fairly apparent that a good chunk of positive press is emerging and reaching a variety of eyes and ears. However, over the past few weeks, the narrative has changed a bit due to the substantial amount of coverage the BK received. Now, I respond to their queries with the following, and it seems like people understand it without much explanation.

"It's a very complex answer, because Detroit is a complex place, and the solutions for recovery are multi-faceted."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "My name is Frank Rizzo. I live in a mid-sized city in Michigan that happens to be a few miles from Detroit. As somebody who has watched Detroit's long downward spiral, I feel qualified to say a few words here.
    "First of all, the real problem with Detroit is that it's a classic example of throwing money at a problem. Every year, as state and U.S. taxpayers, our tax dollars are funneled into that city to pay for poor people. I guess the idea is so that they never have to get up off their keisters to work like my parents did, so that their kids can have hot breakfasts, fancy schools, medical care and two Cadillacs in the garage for Mom and Dad. That's the problem with free money: It just encourages bad behavior.
    "So I say, not one penny of my taxes should go to Detroit. Not a penny.
    "Although I would add one exception: That Mike Ilitch guy should get that deal with the state for the stadium. All this whining about giving him money to complete this wonderful project is just that: whining. We need a new hockey stadium downtown. The Joe Louis Arena is already, like, 35 years old! It's decrepit. And the man clearly knows how to appreciate money: He's a billionaire! So at least he's earned the right to be trusted with the taxpayers' money.
    "But other than that one exception, I say no taxes should go to that hellhole. If the people there don't like it, they can move somewhere else. [[Although I hope they don't move here!)"
    --Frank Rizzo, resident of undisclosed Detroit suburb
    tl;dr.How do you explain what is happening to Detroit? RACISM! the end.

I guess you really did read it, bailey. I don't think there's any mention of race in there. So maybe your defensiveness got the best of you there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I guess you really did read it, bailey. I don't think there's any mention of race in there. So maybe your defensiveness got the best of you there ...
    lol.. no. I just note that when we get your Rizzo sock puppet routine, one knows what to expect. But you're right, the Rizzo guy is TOTALLY not a stereotype of suburban racism. no code words deployed there AT ALL. my mistake.

He usually is there to say something that's "code racist," yeah.

By the way, I read an interesting piece about racism. It suggests that we stop shaming people for being racist and reward them for admitting it. I wonder how Frank Rizzo would react to the idea.

Merely suggest to an American that he might be racist, and you’ll get responses such as, "I'm sick of being called racist because ..." The strong denials come because we’ve been conditioned to recognize that racism is awful. It’s one of the worst things one can be in America 2013. ... The widespread attitude among Americans that racism is evil is a sign of great progress. But ironically, the strategy that made us see racism as so terrible is now keeping us from making further progress. We’re stuck, standing our ground in an America that refuses to recognize just how racist it is. ... What’s happened is that our racism has been driven underground, into our unconscious minds. ...

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/07/...y-for-racists/

We now return to our regularly scheduled discussion ...

I just read a telling stat: in 1950 Detroit had 296,000 manufacturing jobs. Today? 70,000!
    Therein lies a huge reason for our decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Great summary. My only criticism is the degree to which you use the passive voice. "evolved...left with poverty and unemployment rates...resulting rise...leaving the City of Detroit...unfixable situation exists...was awarded"

I believe the missing component in your missive and in Detroit's mindset is acceptance that the actions of the City are part of the problem. Sure, they may not even by 10% of the problem. But they are not insignificant.

Unless we accept our minor but crucial role in creating the crisis, we will not find help forthcoming. Many of the 80% outside the city may see the problem, and want to help. But they won't do so until Detroit helps itself and stops blaming the problem solely at the economy, racism, and globalization.

Only Detroit can change the debate. Only Detroit can change itself.
    this warm and fuzzy "change itself" comment might fly on a saturday night over a doobie, but falls far short of the bar when actually trying to put it into practice; unless you are talking about allowing residents to literally take up land and 'change' it- which i am all for.

Awesome...the return of my favorite resident of the suburbs...Frank Rizzo! You da man, DNerd!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2