Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I finally got a bike last week. I can't believe I waited 4 years. I can get to Avalon Bakery and back in comparable time to what it would take to drive there, waiting at all the red lights, then finding a parking spot. While I was there, I checked out the new Shinola shop and grabbed some gifts at City Bird.

I think that we're not quite where we need to be yet, but I think there's finally the basic necessities of being able to live downtown and get everything you need within a short bike ride.
    Very cool. I love Shinola; Avalon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Very cool. I love Shinola; Avalon, too.
    One of the organizations I was in close discussions with re: jobs was Citi Bike, the new sharing system out here in NYC. The parent company, Alta, is looking to expand their footprint in the States by bringing more sharing systems onboard.

Screw an MLS team, guys: start lobbying Alta to get a bike share up and running in Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    One of the organizations I was in close discussions with re: jobs was Citi Bike, the new sharing system out here in NYC. The parent company, Alta, is looking to expand their footprint in the States by bringing more sharing systems onboard.

Screw an MLS team, guys: start lobbying Alta to get a bike share up and running in Detroit!
    It's not public, but the Quicken family has a bike share around the city. Could potentially be the start of something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's not public, but the Quicken family has a bike share around the city. Could potentially be the start of something larger.
    The metro DC area has a huge bike share program. Caveat: it is, and must be for at least a while, subsidized.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Caveat: it is, and must be for at least a while, subsidized.
    Not true. Well, in NYC at least:

Citi Bike runs with no subsidy. The only support generated from the city comes from dealing with permits to place docking stations on streets.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Not true. Well, in NYC at least:

Citi Bike runs with no subsidy. The only support generated from the city comes from dealing with permits to place docking stations on streets.
    Was the lack of subsidy present from the beginning? New York may be dense enough for that to happen immediately. In most American cities the projections say it takes a few years for such a system to be self sustaining.