Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
Interesting quote:

Detroit is home to three major athletic stadiums, multiple theaters and more than 100 unique local shops similar to those found in Chicago or New York City, except college graduates can actually afford to live downtown next to these amenities.

The data behind Ms. Pierce's assertion is questionable at best, and it seems like the cost of living in Detroit is only on the rise. Apartment rental rates are increasing, and there's still that elephant in the room [[car insurance) that seems to have little resolution.

Of course, this is only coming from my vantage point, so my data is fuzzy too: my cost of living in Brooklyn is comparable to, if not slightly less than, what it was in Detroit. Most of that is attributed to not needing a car.

Nevertheless -- that shift in interest around Detroit is encouraging. Now, figure out how to keep 'em there.
FWIW, one shouldn't need a car if they live in Midtown, and won't need a car if they live in Downtown, once the Papa Joe's opens up. For the rare occasion that you can't find something in the area that you need, zipcar is available.