Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I don't really get it.

Why spend the money to demolish it, and then spend more money to replace it with something smaller? I could imagine demolishing the shorter building and replacing it with a taller building, but I don't see how you'd be worse off renovating the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't really get it.

Why spend the money to demolish it, and then spend more money to replace it with something smaller? I could imagine demolishing the shorter building and replacing it with a taller building, but I don't see how you'd be worse off renovating the tower.
    I agree, it's not prettiest building and it would've been nice if it was built to the street. But it's still a perfectly fine building this project seems like a big waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't really get it.

Without knowing the plans we don't know if this will be true. A 4 story building covering the entire current site + the space up to Woodward may actually be more usable space.

Granted, I'm all about building high-rises/skyscrapers when feasible. But I won't cry about this one since it sounds like it will be replaced with something more urban.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Granted, I'm all about building high-rises/skyscrapers when feasible. But I won't cry about this one since it sounds like it will be replaced with something more urban.
    Looks pretty urban to me as it is:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=midto...2,50.85,,0,2.3

Yes there is space behind it that could be better utilized. Yes there is a slight set-back but it is nothing like you would find at a suburban Walgreen's.