Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    So please explain to me why more people born into wealth continue to live above poverty most of their lives, and most people born into poverty continue to be impoverished most of their lives? ...
    Most is not all. But let's accept your premise. That fate or situation determine you future. What to do?

What we've been doing since we established our social safety net hasn't worked. So what will work? More of hte same? That doesn't seem smart to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Most is not all. But let's accept your premise. That fate or situation determine you future. What to do?
    To accept my premise you have to first get my premise right. You assume like too many that life is black and white and there is no gray areas. WRONG!

My premise isn't fate or situation determines your future, it is that your situation FACTORS into your future. It's retarded to think one's own actions have nothing to do with where they end up in life. It's equally retarded to think the situations one is born into have nothing to do with where one ends up in life either. It's a combination of both. Crazy, isn't it? A gray area? Who would of thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    To accept my premise you have to first get my premise right. You assume like too many that life is black and white and there is no gray areas. WRONG!

My premise isn't fate or situation determines your future, it is that your situation FACTORS into your future. It's retarded to think one's own actions have nothing to do with where they end up in life. It's equally retarded to think the situations one is born into have nothing to do with where one ends up in life either. It's a combination of both. Crazy, isn't it? A gray area? Who would of thunk it?
    We thus agree that neither fate nor situation determines your future. Certainly one's starting situation has a lot to do with your current situation.

Starting situation is of course complex. Its not just money. Its everything. Prenatal through hospice care. I'm all in favor of a basic social safety net. But going beyond the basics hasn't proven to do anything about changing one's 'situation'. So let's stop trying.