Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? Meijers is smart. Why stay open 24 hours and have the predators waiting for the few people going in and coming out of the store and then have news stories on TV and radio reporting on the crimes going on in the parking lot in the early morning hours? This just scares away people who would normally go to the store during regular business hours. Is Whole Foods open 24 hours? Maybe one day they'll be open 24/7. Remember: Detroit ain't paradise yet.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? ...
    There are a lot of people who don't work 9-5. I work nights and weekends and often do my shopping during odd hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    There are a lot of people who don't work 9-5. I work nights and weekends and often do my shopping during odd hours.
    Supermarkets figured that since the store would be open in the wee hours for the guys restocking the shelves, the cost of keeping open one checkout line for the night owl shoppers was minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    I used to work those same kind of hours too, so I relate to what you're saying. However, nowadays Meijer doesn't have cashiers at any of their stores after a certain time and you have to go through the self checkout. That's only convenient if you have a few things to purchase. If you have a lot of things to purchase you'd be better off going before 11pm anyway. So, in that regard, the whole store might as well close at 11pm. That way, at least you don't have to climb over all the stock in the aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? Meijers is smart. Why stay open 24 hours and have the predators waiting for the few people going in and coming out of the store and then have news stories on TV and radio reporting on the crimes going on in the parking lot in the early morning hours? This just scares away people who would normally go to the store during regular business hours. Is Whole Foods open 24 hours? Maybe one day they'll be open 24/7. Remember: Detroit ain't paradise yet.
    Kmart operated two stores in the city 24/7 and I don't remember hearing of any this stuff you're talking about. Granted, one of those locations is now a Home Depot and the other I don't think is 24/7 now, I don't remember any news coverage of any crimes being committed in the parking lots of those stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Kmart operated two stores in the city 24/7 and I don't remember hearing of any this stuff you're talking about. Granted, one of those locations is now a Home Depot and the other I don't think is 24/7 now, I don't remember any news coverage of any crimes being committed in the parking lots of those stores.
    According to K-Mart's website it is closed a half hour a day!

Hours:
    Mon: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Tue: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Wed: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Thu: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Fri: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Sat: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Sun: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm

Another curiosity is that when you query on K-Mart stores in Detroit, this one is listed #8. It probably has to do with its being way in the NW side and a haul from City Hall. [[The other 7 stores are probably closer, but in the burbs).

I beg to differ CP. Sadly, crime was high at that Kmart in Detroit [[7 mile and Meyers) thus it closed. I stopped going about a year before it closed. One incident I recall clearly was a Detroit Public Schools math teacher murdered in that Kmart parking lot towards the end of their time there. There were several car jackings and what not. A friend of mine was robbed at her car. I will try to pull and post the link for slain high school teacher.

The Home Depot has higher security. They check your bag against your receipt, so far so good. I shop there often when I need home improvement or other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-27-13 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I beg to differ CP. Sadly, crime was high at that Kmart in Detroit [[7 mile and Meyers) thus it closed. I stopped going about a year before it closed. One incident I recall clearly was a Detroit Public Schools math teacher murdered in that Kmart parking lot towards the end of their time there. There were several car jackings and what not. A friend of mine was robbed at her car. I will try to pull and post the link for slain high school teacher.

The Home Depot has higher security. They check your bag against your receipt, so far so good. I shop there often when I need home improvement or other stuff.
    Thanks for the correction. I hadn't heard of any of those events. I used to go there all the time with no problem. Sad that a person can't go shopping without some worthless thug threatening their lives.

^^^ Yeah the murder at that location was 1997-98 I believe. The man was one of my kids HS math teacher.

Did forget to congratulate Meijers on supporting our city, albeit on the border. I wish them to "live long and prosper".

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Did forget to congratulate Meijers on supporting our city, albeit on the border. I wish them to "live long and prosper".
    The rumor is Meijer may build another on the Redford HS site if so that will be the real test on support.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Anything that keeps Detroiters spending their money IN Detroit is a good thing. BTW, as someone who lives out of town I'd love to see some pics!!!