Hi folks,

I've been researching Detroit, and I wonder if someone could help with a few questions, please?

I've found that it's hard to find whether specific areas have names. Running a search on neighborhoods seems spotty, and I haven't been able to find many clear and large maps showing the names of all of the neighborhoods. Obviously non-incorporated areas like Hamtramck and Highland Park have very clear borders, but when I look for names for other areas, I can only find them referred to by zip code as being part of 'Detroit'.

As an example, I'm looking at the area of land bounded by Coleman Young Airport on the east and south, Earle Memorial Highway/Van Dyke on the west and 6 Mile Rd on the north. Does this area have a name of its own?

Another question related to this area; the large church and school on Doyle St is shown on Street View as being 'Shield of Faith Ministries'. What was this church and school previously?

Please excuse my ignorance. I do appreciate any answers here. Being an Australian with extended family connections to Detroit, I'd like to learn the human and social history, and I figure that the best way to do this is ask people in the know.

Cheers,
Matt