Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have many reservations & doubts about the success of this plan, but if they can pull it off, more power to them.

Anything is possible. The Book Cadillac deal was monstrous. Broderick Tower is humming, and the Whitney is not far behind.

Now just because it's possible doesn't mean that it will happen. Hiring Albert Khan's firm was a nice PR touch. I'd at least like to see the details on a proposed plan.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Anything is possible. The Book Cadillac deal was monstrous. Broderick Tower is humming, and the Whitney is not far behind.

Now just because it's possible doesn't mean that it will happen. Hiring Albert Khan's firm was a nice PR touch. I'd at least like to see the details on a proposed plan.
    Amen. Popular opinion used to be that a Book Cadillac renovation would be impossible.

The developer has done his analysis, and decided that this project makes sense. That's more than we can say for the peanut gallery of naysayers. If the project can be completed, it's another small victory for everyone.

I think, however, that retention of Kahn was smart not because it was a PR move, but because there's a good chance Kahn still retains the original drawings of the plant, making repairs and renovations that much easier.

...except that supposedly AKA have not even gone to actually look at the condition of the plant yet...
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...kard-plant.php
    according to Curbed anyway, or at least one of their notoriously bright "tipsters" perhaps, no one from Albert Kahn, Assoc has visited the Packard yet. even tho they were quoted in the paper yesterday as saying "the bones are still strong."

i see in their nice little drawing there that they have the Packard crest back on the center of the skybridge:

were they planning on buying those and the "PACKARD" name-tablets back from the museum in Warren , Ohio? or making replicas? lol.

this whole thing is so preposterous that i feel embarrassed for the guy.

I stopped reading here....

Packard is a global brand and has a global identity. It’s kind of like buying Coca-Cola,” said Hults, 57. “I couldn’t spend enough money to have that built-in identity. It would take a couple of lifetimes to build that. … If Packard wasn’t there or was bulldozed, we wouldn’t be doing this.”
    No. It's not. I would bet money most people would have no idea what a Packard was, let alone ever have seen one in real life.

Good luck to the guy...delusional as he is. Hopefully none of his "investors" are pension funds.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    Amen. It's like watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm, Developer Edition"

I would not sit at those little yellow things in that neighborhood. This is coming from someone who lives on the eastside and enjoys a daily porchsit beerdrink.

Seems like so many other properties worth development in the central city core that would be more worthwhile to investors [[UA, Book Tower, etc). Hell, at 300 million, these guys could tackle the train station and have enough left over to develop the Tiger Stadium site. This idea seems far fetched but I guess we will see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I would not sit at those little yellow things in that neighborhood. This is coming from someone who lives on the eastside and enjoys a daily porchsit beerdrink.
    I understand your thinking, but I expect a development of this size would have a positive effect on the neighborhood. There is literally no reason for anyone to be there now, so anyone who is there is there for no good reason.

I think that guy is crazy to think that this building can be saved. The building is already stripped to the bare bones and is falling apart in places. It would be so much better to just demolish the site and rebuild. I just simply can't believe that anyone thinks this building is worth saving.

...except that supposedly AKA have not even gone to actually look at the condition of the plant yet...
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...kard-plant.php
    according to Curbed anyway, or at least one of their notoriously bright "tipsters" perhaps, no one from Albert Kahn, Assoc has visited the Packard yet. even tho they were quoted in the paper yesterday as saying "the bones are still strong."

i see in their nice little drawing there that they have the Packard crest back on the center of the skybridge:

were they planning on buying those and the "PACKARD" name-tablets back from the museum in Warren , Ohio? or making replicas? lol.

I wouldn't hang out anywheres near that neighborhood.

doubtful.
    considering the structural integrity of that place. Floors have collapsed, fires, water and ice, elements... The structural damage and metal thats been removed. The rubble... the tons and tons of concrete debris. Asbestos. Location isn't great either unless you like the sweet smell of being downwind from a massive garbage incinerator.
    A couple observations. 1 there is a lot of empty land over there. Might could be cheaper to start from scratch.
    2 this would be a great addition to near down town south Cass. Behind the Masonic Temple. For those of you that dont want to see that neighborhood gentrify. IDK what to tell ya. Much of the city is nearly ungentrifyable and will be slow to recover if it ever happens. If you enjoy the living desperation feel move to Britemoor. Near downtown could and should be an area thats generating the tax $$$ that Detroit needs to maintain service for poorer parts of town that aren't able to contribute much for the services they require. IDK whose bright idea it was to locate Detroit's skid row between downtown, the medical campus, Wayne State, and Woodbridge. Brilliant urban planning!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    doubtful.
    IDK whose bright idea it was to locate Detroit's skid row between downtown, the medical campus, Wayne State, and Woodbridge. Brilliant urban planning!!!!!!
    Locate??

Seem to me that, with the exception of Downtown, none of these areas that you name existed at the level at which they are today, not in the long ago years when Cass Corridor was developing as a skid row. It could be said that these areas developed around Cass Corridor, not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Producing architectural plans for insane schemes that have no basis in reality appears to be a huge, growing industry in this town.

Now that's good news!

Wayne County is working with a failed Chicago businessman on a deal for the Packard Plant? Can somebody here make sure they have non-toxic crayons and paste and safety scissors for their meetings so they don't accidentally kill themselves?
    I am glad that someone had done research on the developer before jumping for joy.

I havent been around that long marsha.
    Location seems more fitting for executives, doctors, business owners, etc
    that addicts. Brush park 'd

I'd love to have this plan succeed but it reminds me of Kwame's idea to move the police department HQ to the Michigan Central Depot. When you find out that this developer has a shaky track record, you start to think of him as an old fashioned Rain Man, flim flam, "thank you mame" kind of guy.

I am not as pessimistic as most who are posting here about the Packard plant. There is a momentum about bringing high tech ID to Detroit linked to
    the prosperous vehicle industry. There has been a modest redevelopment of
    many buidings in the city's core and along the Detroit river. It will take very
    deep pockets to redevelop the historic Packard Plant and it is a long shot but
    not at all impossible.

This guy seems like a bullshit artist. See that road? Get on it!

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I am not as pessimistic as most who are posting here about the Packard plant. There is a momentum about bringing high tech ID to Detroit linked to
    the prosperous vehicle industry. There has been a modest redevelopment of
    many buidings in the city's core
    and along the Detroit river. It will take very
    deep pockets to redevelop the historic Packard Plant and it is a long shot but
    not at all impossible.
    Were any of them contaminated with industrial waste, stripped to the bare bones by scrappers, or laid waste by Mom Nature?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2