Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Just to weigh in on Zimmerman's appearance racially -- he does not look anglo to me. He looks Hispanic.

I am just going to leave this right here:

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/490926/jury-finds-roderick-scott-not-guilty/

[[Cliffs: Shooter Black, "Victim" white, verdict not-guilty)

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I am just going to leave this right here:

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/490926/jury-finds-roderick-scott-not-guilty/

[[Cliffs: Shooter Black, "Victim" white, verdict not-guilty)
    Did you read the case there was some significant differences between the two cases

Too much beating around the bush and too little addressing the issue. Why are black Americans so upset regarding this issue?

I'd say most likely because for the last 400 years white men have killed black men with impunity. And this case gives the impression that this phenomonon still holds true. An unarmed 17 year old who by all accounts was minding his own business and walking home,lay dead. An armed 28 yr old man holds a smoking gun and admits to killing him. Still, the local police show no interest in holding the shooter until a preliminary investigation can be conducted. And weeks later they declare that they have no intentions to press charges.
    I think had the police treated this case the way they do a typical homicide case, no one would even know Tryvon's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Too much beating around the bush and too little addressing the issue. Why are black Americans so upset regarding this issue?

I'd say most likely because for the last 400 years white men have killed black men with impunity. And this case gives the impression that this phenomonon still holds true. An unarmed 17 year old who by all accounts was minding his own business and walking home,lay dead. An armed 28 yr old man holds a smoking gun and admits to killing him. Still, the local police show no interest in holding the shooter until a preliminary investigation can be conducted. And weeks later they declare that they have no intentions to press charges.
    I think had the police treated this case the way they do a typical homicide case, no one would even know Tryvon's name.
    I would add that not just black Americans are upset, people of all races are upset.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Did you read the case there was some significant differences between the two cases
    The main points remain the same. One witness, the shooter, and it was his word against the deceased. Parents of the deceased boy cry "sweet innocent harmless etc." Races were reversed, verdict was the same. From what I read, the verdict here was correct, just as in the other case.

The main points remain the same. One witness, the shooter, and it was his word against the deceased. Parents of the deceased boy cry "sweet innocent harmless etc." Races were reversed, verdict was the same. From what I read, the verdict here was correct, just as in the other case.
    "There were two people, a gun, and one of them died. Clearly, it's the exact same case."

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    "There were two people, a gun, and one of them died. Clearly, it's the exact same case."
    Your "replies" are all the same. You discount the quoted post but supply no counter-argument to back up your position. Try to provide some facts to back up your position, it will make you much more credible and maybe even help me understand your point of view.

One difference TM was walking down the street and was profiled. The other case the guys were caught breaking into cars. Illegal act versus legal act a huge difference
    Last edited by firstandten; July-23-13 at 09:12 AM.

One difference TM was walking down the street and was profiled. The other case the guys were caught breaking into cars. Illegal act versus legal act a huge difference
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Zimmerman was assaulted [[per his story) which is illegal, no?

Your "replies" are all the same. You discount the quoted post but supply no counter-argument to back up your position. Try to provide some facts to back up your position, it will make you much more credible and maybe even help me understand your point of view.
    Stating that they're incomparable when trying to make the point you're making is definitely a counter-argument.

Have you ever taken a logic class?

They are completely different situations. End of story.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Zimmerman was assaulted [[per his story) which is illegal, no?
    If Zimmerman's story is true and he was assaulted and that's a big if. It happened after he approached TM. If true GZ initiated the chain of events that led to his assault. The other case R Scott came on to his porch and saw the youths breaking into cars. But since they are white I'm sure you and other's just take a "boys will be boys" attitude

Stating that they're incomparable when trying to make the point you're making is definitely a counter-argument.

Have you ever taken a logic class?

They are completely different situations. End of story.
    Actually I have taken a couple logic classes, since I my bachelor's degree is in computer science.

Again, please provide the differences, point by point, in the cases that you believe make them incomparable to each other.

If Zimmerman's story is true and he was assaulted and that's a big if. It happened after he approached TM. If true GZ initiated the chain of events that led to his assault. The other case R Scott came on to his porch and saw the youths breaking into cars. But since they are white I'm sure you and other's just take a "boys will be boys" attitude
    1) Mr. Scott SAID that is what he saw, he SAID that the boy rushed him, then he shot him. In the GZ/TM case the shot wasnt fired until physical harm was done, so GZ showed even more restraint than Mr. Scott.

2) I said previously that BOTH verdicts were correct to me. Nice try though.

Actually I have taken a couple logic classes, since I my bachelor's degree is in computer science.

Again, please provide the differences, point by point, in the cases that you believe make them incomparable to each other.
    You're ignoring the answer. You're also trying to make a political point, which is completely illogical. When you can define how the cases are exact replicas, which is the ONLY way they're comparable, you may have a point.

But, I mean, whatever makes you feel better about stalking & harassing an innocent minor to the point of SYG and then killing them as a result.

You're ignoring the answer. You're also trying to make a political point, which is completely illogical. When you can define how the cases are exact replicas, which is the ONLY way they're comparable, you may have a point.
    The MAIN points of the case are very similar. Similar enough to ME to the point that I feel comfortable that the actions leading up to the "Event" and the outcome are comparable.

If you are stating that in order to compare two things that they must be EXACTLY the same, then your only conclusion when comparing them will always be that they are the same, no compare and contrast will be possible.

Both "shooters" were in a situation where they were forced to defend themselves to prevent bodily harm, both did, both were found justified in their actions by a jury of their peers. Those are the main points.

But, I mean, whatever makes you feel better about stalking & harassing an innocent minor to the point of SYG and then killing them as a result.
    But I mean, whatever, SYG was never part of the defense in the GZ trial, but facts seem to be irrelevant to you.

Of course there are some simularies to the case just like you might find some if you reviewed the Tampa Bay newspaper piece on stand your ground cases. But this is not the same. One case started with a profiling the other with a crime. Some of the responses as a result were the same and some were different. In the other case there were witnesses to the incident. There were no witnesses to the TM incident

Of course there are some simularies to the case just like you might find some if you reviewed the Tampa Bay newspaper piece on stand your ground cases. But this is not the same. One case started with a profiling the other with a crime. Some of the responses as a result were the same and some were different. In the other case there were witnesses to the incident. There were no witnesses to the TM incident
    Aye, there were witnesses to the shooting:

According to 15-year-old James Cervini, one of the three, and Christopher’s cousin, Scott shot Christopher after the teen yelled, “Please don’t shoot me, I’m just a kid.” Scott, who testified in his own defense, said he only fired after Christopher came running at him in a threatening manner.
    http://www.decodedscience.com/roderi...f-murder/33569

This article also provides good FACTS about both cases and the differences. Broken down in a pretty damn good way.

Black America's response to TM would have been different if this incident happened because he was breaking into cars even if he was unarmed. What you and others don't realize that many of the responses that TM made were due to being profiled. Profiling is a sensitive issue within the black community. Profiling is such a sensitive issue that a 17 y/o probably didn't know the proper way to handle being profiled. The self defense argument only added insult to injury

Polls are showing that blacks are more likely to consider Zimmerman guilty, have followed the case with more interest, are more likely to consider the case newsworthy, and more likely to believe that the results would have been different were Trayvon white than whites. Hispanics polled between whites and blacks. So far, I haven't seen any polls asking whether President Obama's meddling in this case, or whether the results of this case, have brought races closer together. Google something like "Trayvon poll black white" for the most recent polls.

Meanwhile in other news, not including Kate's baby and Zimmerman:
    1) The IRS investigation has traced the IRS efforts to alter the 2012 election up to two Obama appointees and a Holder cover-up of information. Stealing ballots is a crime. Subverting an election using government agencies to do so is a bigger crime.
    2) [[R)House and [[D)Senate committees have approved President Obama's recommendations to fund the provision of weapons to questionable Syrian rebels; a US act of war against the Syrian government. [[What sequester?)
    3) Israel attacked a delivery of Russian missiles to Syria with its own submarine based rockets. Russia is unhappy about this incident.
    4) Snowden vs. the Obama/Bush police state; how is that going since the Bolivian leader's plane was forced down?

Black America's response to TM would have been different if this incident happened because he was breaking into cars even if he was unarmed. What you and others don't realize that many of the responses that TM made were due to being profiled. Profiling is a sensitive issue within the black community. Profiling is such a sensitive issue that a 17 y/o probably didn't know the proper way to handle being profiled. The self defense argument only added insult to injury
    Finally a logic comment.

That may be very well true that it is a sensitive issue. I also don't disagree that it does happen. In this particular case, there was no PROOF that he was profiling him based on his race, heck he wasn't even sure what "color" TM was [["I think he looks black"). The only PROVEN profiling that was done that night was because he was looking into houses and was dressed in a way that was covering his face.

I dont understand how self defense can be an "insult", if someone is on top of me, beating me, saying "You are going to die tonight", I feel 100% within my right to use deadly force and I do see it as self defense.

Finally a logic comment.

That may be very well true that it is a sensitive issue. I also don't disagree that it does happen. In this particular case, there was no PROOF that he was profiling him based on his race, heck he wasn't even sure what "color" TM was [["I think he looks black"). The only PROVEN profiling that was done that night was because he was looking into houses and was dressed in a way that was covering his face.

I dont understand how self defense can be an "insult", if someone is on top of me, beating me, saying "You are going to die tonight", I feel 100% within my right to use deadly force and I do see it as self defense.
    Its hard to tell what's in somebodies heart. He most likely profiled TM for several reasons hoodie, teenager, black. What weight he put on each of those factors only he would know. I am not aware that TM was looking into houses. Show me where that came out in trial. In this case You initiate contact with TM you are not law enforcement you get into an altercation because of your initial contact and then you say self defense after things go wrong for you yes that is an insult and like my earlier post from the Macomb County prosecutors office you probably would not be able to make that self defense argument in Michigan because you were the aggressor regardless of you winning or losing the fight.

The MAIN points of the case are very similar. Similar enough to ME to the point that I feel comfortable that the actions leading up to the "Event" and the outcome are comparable.

If you are stating that in order to compare two things that they must be EXACTLY the same, then your only conclusion when comparing them will always be that they are the same, no compare and contrast will be possible.

Both "shooters" were in a situation where they were forced to defend themselves to prevent bodily harm, both did, both were found justified in their actions by a jury of their peers. Those are the main points.
    That's why there were 2 separate trials. They were separate cases. And that's why your politically-motivated posting here is complete BS.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast