Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well stated and some choose to worship at churches not as so-called 'progressive' relative to doctrine, etc. It is about choice, informed choice hopefully.
    Both sumas and Zacha are well stated. Its up the the individual to find the place they feel most comfortable at.

I will give another thumbs up to the Unitarian Universalist church. True inclusivity and acceptance, not just lip service.

When I had a scholarship to be a boarding student at Cranbrook School for Boys in 1958-59, I was entranced by Christ Church Cranbrook---an Episcopalian institution. This so unnerved my Calvinistic guardian/grandmother, she talked me out of returning to Cranbrook for another year---even though my grades were respectable and I was offered the near-full scholarship again. I think that she was fearful that I would go "high church." I returned to the public school system and eventually ended up as an infantryman in Vietnam 1966-68. Although my grandmother died in 1965, she should have cut her losses and let me become an Episcopalian if I had wanted to. After my sometimes-bloody service in Vietnam and my pondering it all while pursuing a degree in philosophy on the G.I. Bill afterward, I eventually---in 1972---became a Roman Catholic. Still am---warts, wrinkles, and all [[in me and in the institution). It's the beauty... the peace... the mish-mash of cultures and economic levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    When I had a scholarship to be a boarding student at Cranbrook School for Boys in 1958-59, I was entranced by Christ Church Cranbrook---an Episcopalian institution. This so unnerved my Calvinistic guardian/grandmother, she talked me out of returning to Cranbrook for another year---even though my grades were respectable and I was offered the near-full scholarship again. I think that she was fearful that I would go "high church." I returned to the public school system and eventually ended up as an infantryman in Vietnam 1966-68. Although my grandmother died in 1965, she should have cut her losses and let me become an Episcopalian if I had wanted to. After my sometimes-bloody service in Vietnam and my pondering it all while pursuing a degree in philosophy on the G.I. Bill afterward, I eventually---in 1972---became a Roman Catholic. Still am---warts, wrinkles, and all [[in me and in the institution). It's the beauty... the peace... the mish-mash of cultures and economic levels.
    Christ Church Cranbrook Episcopal Church 470 Church Road built in 1928 Bloomfield Hills, MI.

Designed by Bertram Goodhue & Company.
    Stained Glass: Nicola d'Ascenzo Philadelphia, PA
    Also includes an image of Christ Church from a 1930 issue of Inland Architect.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Another Christ Church Cranbrook footnote: Gary Hall, CCC's former Rector just became the Dean of the Washington National Cathedral in DC [[national HQ Cathedral for the Episcopal Church & "The Nation's House of Prayer")

Great guy, and he sums up faith & the role of the church quite nicely here:

I actually do like this thread. Spirituality/religion are so personal. Important to me perhaps not others.

My church has questions as to what attracts people. This post is unauthorized so I am just being curious. We are near downtown and hopefully a new revived community. What are people looking for?

I agree with Sumas and others to shop around. My parents, raised Baptist and Catholic, visited a different neighborhood church each week until they found one that fit best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3