Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    You don 't know much about Christ Church GP. its very liberal. In fact many conservative patrons have left and gone to St. John's downtown,Christ Church downtown and Mariners.So I guess knowing people who actually attend the church does not matter as much as what their website says?
    Well you would know better than I would. It does suprise me that there aren't any very liberal Episcopal churches in downtown Detroit. I knew St John and Mariners were conservative because of their breakaway but thanks for letting me know about Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    if you want dynamic, progressive, inclusive i highly recommend gesu parish on oak dr & 7 mile.

you won't be disappointed
    Gesu Roman Catholic Church 17180 Oak Drive. Very nice parishioners.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Progressive? Sacred Heart at Mack and Rivard near Eastern Mkt. or the previously mentioned St. Elizabeth's. No one is more progressive than the pastor of both churches, Rev. Norman Thomas.
    Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church 1100 Elliot Street.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    . . . .the title of the post including the word "best" is a little misguided. No such thing as a best church. You're looking for the right church for you, which is different.
    IMO, this is the most concise advice to OP, Dave. Take some of these recommendations [[many excellent ones posted here) and see what fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Well you would know better than I would. It does suprise me that there aren't any very liberal Episcopal churches in downtown Detroit. I knew St John and Mariners were conservative because of their breakaway but thanks for letting me know about Christ.

Name:  Altar at Christ Church Detroit.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  39.6 KB

Apparently some factual clarification is in order regarding Christ Church Detroit [[CCD). This is not based on its website or second-hand knowledge, as it is my "parish away from home" when visiting The D.

Although I would say it tacks a bit toward the left, both "conservative" and "progressive" folks [[whatever those labels mean) are welcomed equally at CCD. IMO, this is the definition of a "diverse" parish and a characteristic increasingly rare in today's divisive, narcissistic society. Sadly, churches appear to be going the way of our deeply troubled political parties--lacking humility, uncompromising, and hostile [[however subtle) to those with a different viewpoint.

A common thought mentioned by Anglican clergy is "we don't tell you what to think, we encourage you to think". The primary focus of the EC is on the Eucharist [[reverent & highly music-centric in the Anglican tradition), fellowship, and community service. Recommended is the after-Eucharist Coffee Hour, which is known as the "the 8th sacrament" of the EC, as it is considered an opportunity to extend hospitality to visitors. The Rector of CCD is Fr John Talk. He's very cordial and always there to meet & greet. I believe the choir is on hiatus Jul & Aug.

Here's my personal take on the 3 Downtown Detroit Episcopal Churches:

St John's [[Woodward/75) - unabashedly socially & liturgically conservative, still using the 1928 Prayer Book & 1947 Hymnal, good music program.

Christ Church [[Jefferson/Rivard) - diverse, relatively small parish, mostly families but also singles & L/G [[me), good music program

Cathedral Church of St Paul [[Woodward/Warren) - small parish, trends older, cornerstone is the excellent Cathedral Choir music program

Not weighing in on the 'best of' theology-wise [[I'm in another direction all together), but I'm enjoying looking at the wonderful photography shown in this thread... Nice photos!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-13-13 at 05:28 PM.

Fort Street Presby. was very progressive far back as 45 years ago by my own account, I believe the history of such goes further than that.

Go check it out.

Both At. Cecilia's and St. Elizabeth's are far more inclusive than almost all Catholic churches in the city and more inclusive than most churches in general in the area. i have not been to St. Anthony''s unfortunately the pastor is not someone I would want to be around.
    I'm curious, are LGBT members encouraged to be completely free and open and honest at the congregations? Are they treated 100% as equal? Are their relationships considered equal? Are same sex commitment ceremonies performed? Or are these congregations simply more inclusive than most RCC churches? [[Which from the perspective of the LGBT community unfortunately sets a pretty low bar.)

How about in front of the porcelain throne?

HEEEEaaave, oh jeeeesus h cheeerist!!!!! [[Hmm, when did I eat that?) OHH Lorrdddyyy my head hurts!!!

Thank you for your 'contribution' therein...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    How about in front of the porcelain throne?

HEEEEaaave, oh jeeeesus h cheeerist!!!!! [[Hmm, when did I eat that?) OHH Lorrdddyyy my head hurts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I'm curious, are LGBT members encouraged to be completely free and open and honest at the congregations? Are they treated 100% as equal? Are their relationships considered equal? Are same sex commitment ceremonies performed? Or are these congregations simply more inclusive than most RCC churches? [[Which from the perspective of the LGBT community unfortunately sets a pretty low bar.)
    In my experience as a former Catholic I felt that there were some communities that would welcome you but that you would not be fully embraced. A lot of it depends on who the priest is and that usually changes every 10-15 years so you could go from acceptance to rejection. In terms of being open and honest to the congregation, the people usually would not be able to be totally open because of fear that the bishop would do something. Their relationships are considered equal by the members and sometimes the pastor but they often can not formally express that relationship. I think that a same-sex blessing would never happen in a Catholic Church, not because they don't accept somone, but our of fear of the Bishop. The most accepting congregation is Dignity Detroit, a special ministry to GLBT people and their families and friends that used to have mass at a Catholic Church but got kicked out by the archdiocese and now meets at Marygrove College. They are so publicly accepting because they don't have to worry about the Bishop.

Saint Elizabeth Roman Catholic Church 3138 East Canfield. An excellent choir!
    Awwww. I miss this church! I've never stepped foot inside of it but I spent the first 12 years of my life living directly across the street from it.

Interesting, UCC is so inclusive but the pastors in churches vary. The Unitarian on campus might be a good bet but actually don't know.

Nice to know others have church affiliations, I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow hoping you can find a spiritual home.

I was working in an old convent in a country town south of Montreal this week. I had worked there before [[used as a movie set) and it had been taken over by a couple of non religious movements before. It has since been fixed up partially and the renos are pretty good. They must have a lot of money because they plan on restoring the huge 150 yr old building. But I found out that the catholic community that bought the place since I had last been there is an ultra catholic branch of the church; Pius X movement started by monsignor Lefebvre in France who resisted the new liturgy and the renewal of the church. The priest I met with there was australian and dressed with a long black robe like before Vatican II. An old nun was painfully strolling along with a walker and fully dressed on this very hot day. It all seemed strange but also welcoming. The movement started in 1970 and is based in Switzerland. The members were excommunicated and are thus not recognized as part of the catholic church, I think the mass is said in latin, etc... Not sure what place the LGBT community has there, but I suspect it is smallish.

Thank you for your thoughtful and informational responses to my question.
    I've got some great churches to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Forgot to mention, the title of the post including the word "best" is a little misguided. No such thing as a best church. You're looking for the right church for you, which is different.
    Excellent point.

Best place of worship.

In your heart and in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    In my experience as a former Catholic I felt that there were some communities that would welcome you but that you would not be fully embraced. A lot of it depends on who the priest is and that usually changes every 10-15 years so you could go from acceptance to rejection. In terms of being open and honest to the congregation, the people usually would not be able to be totally open because of fear that the bishop would do something. Their relationships are considered equal by the members and sometimes the pastor but they often can not formally express that relationship. I think that a same-sex blessing would never happen in a Catholic Church, not because they don't accept somone, but our of fear of the Bishop. The most accepting congregation is Dignity Detroit, a special ministry to GLBT people and their families and friends that used to have mass at a Catholic Church but got kicked out by the archdiocese and now meets at Marygrove College. They are so publicly accepting because they don't have to worry about the Bishop.
    As a former Catholic myself [[call myself a recovering Catholic), I knew the answers as I posed the question. There is no such thing as a true Welcoming Catholic congregation because the hierarchy forbids it. The best one can hope for is a tiny bit of acceptance. I frankly don't understand Dignity any more than I do GOProud.

Maybe we should go back square one. Define progressive.

I also want to thank p69 for the nice shot of St John St Luke and agree the photos of our pretty historic churches are phenomenal.

Maybe I'll post a nice history of Old St John soon. I am a historian so adore snippets of how churches affected our lives and helped shape our futures.

One comment, I try to avoid any church that does not have open communion. God embraces all.

As a former Catholic myself [[call myself a recovering Catholic), I knew the answers as I posed the question. There is no such thing as a true Welcoming Catholic congregation because the hierarchy forbids it. The best one can hope for is a tiny bit of acceptance. I frankly don't understand Dignity any more than I do GOProud.
    Dignity was originally founded in the Catholic Church but broke away from the corporate church when they challenged the catholic hierarchy's teaching on sexuality. They are a group of GLBT Catholics that support and help each other. In Dignity, for example, you could see a same sex blessing. They have their own masses and faith communities and really are almost like their own denomination [[except that they use anonymous retired Roman Catholic clergy for their services).

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Maybe we should go back square one.
    Maybe we should go back square one and ban organized religious institutions and let people worship whatever being, entity or tree they choose individually.

http://citadeloffaith.org/

Citadel of Faith Covenant Church

1419 W Warren Ave Ste 1Detroit MI 48208[[313) 871-3678Pastor Harvey Carey of the Citadel of Faith Covenant Church in Detroit, Michigan is known internationally as a dynamic speaker and practitioner whose passionate vision for change unites people across boundaries of race, age, class and culture.

Biography
    Harvey Carey is the Founder and Senior Pastor of the Citadel of Faith Covenant Church in Detroit, Michigan, the fastest-growing multicultural church in the region. He is known internationally as a dynamic speaker and practitioner whose passionate vision for change unites people across boundaries of race, age, class and culture

Since same sex marriages are against the law in Michigan why would you ask that. I do not know of any church in the Detroit area that performs same sex marriage. Maybe you can enlighten me. From my own observations I see same sex couples at St. Elizabeth's, alhough I do know how much they participate in parish life. As much as the powers that be want eveyone to believe all parishes are in line with them, I have found at a local lever that is far from the truth. The parish I grew up in embraced pro choice and contraception and that was back in the 1970's.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-16-13 at 11:39 AM.

Maybe we should go back square one and ban organized religious institutions and let people worship whatever being, entity or tree they choose individually.
    That seems a strange even mean spirited response. Certainly, people can choose or not, to have personal choices of faith. I know people who haven't been in a church or place of worship in years who are deeply spiritual.

My question on "progressive" still stands and has merit. Does it mean modern music, acceptance of alternative life styles, large congregations, community out reach programs, Tai chi classes etc?

I find beauty and serenity in nature but certainly wouldn't worship a tree, my dogs pee on them.

Historically we see man does not operate that way, they would start up another so-called organized 'religion' secular or deity-based, more over for power, it works too well. We would not want our systems all messy, untidy and un-organized would we?

I always like how Malcom Muggeridge put it:

“If God is dead, somebody is going to have to take his place. It will be megalomania or erotomania. The drive for power or the drive for pleasure, the clenched fist or the phallus, Hitler or Hugh Hefner.”

Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-13 at 06:47 AM.

Well stated and some choose to worship at churches not as so-called 'progressive' relative to doctrine, etc. It is about choice, informed choice hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    That seems a strange even mean spirited response. Certainly, people can choose or not, to have personal choices of faith. I know people who haven't been in a church or place of worship in years who are deeply spiritual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast