Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I thought I heard this before. Did you steal this from Randall Terry?

If we don't believe in moral absolutes and then we get into a cultural-political debate, how are we going to win? - Randall Terry
    In 1998, when Terry was running for Congress and accused of racism, his son Jamiel stepped forward to defend him.[4]In 2000, Jamiel worked with his father on Steven Forbes' campaign for the Republican nomination for U.S. President, and campaigned with his father against gay marriage in Vermont.[4] In 2004, Jamiel publicly announced that he was gay and wrote an article for Out Magazine for which he was paid $2,500.[4] Terry contends much of the article was written by other people and most of the statements purported to be facts in the article were untrue. Terry promptly disowned his son and claimed that he had "prostituted" the family name. He attributed Jamiel's sexuality to his biological mother, saying that she was a prostitute.[4]
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/ke...absolutes.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Terry

ccbatson Guest

Nope...sounds like that guy had some of the basic principles of rational philosophy in hand, but misapplied them to his own ends.

Why are you changing the subject to Bush and the war on terror?

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    You need to give up the irrational belief that there are no absolutes first. If you do not, you have a flawed philosophical foundation that will defeat every belief in the long run.
    absolutism is at the core one way to screw up a good debate.

gibran, many people find having their own “true north” is comforting.

And for the most prolific of posters, it must be comforting to know there are “absolutes” in every possible setting and situation. It allows for making snap judgments much easier.

ccbatson Guest

Philosophy and logic Omaha, try and discredit those concepts in a debate if you have a morbid desire to be proven wrong.

Hasn't the quest of epistemology changed significantly over the years? I thought we have moved from Objectivity, to Constructivist to a Subjective perspective [[ promoting individual liberty)...

doesn't sound absolute to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
    ... many people find having their own “true north” is comforting.
    It is very nice to read targeted posts. Thanks for not making the same old excuses. Thanks for stating that which many will not, even though they understand it. I'm relatively short on tenure here on DYes, but I dare say your voice is changing part of the DYes landscape. Well done. Challenges will come unexpectedly, and from unanticipated sources. That would be par the course, so remain vigilant and precise. Ready. Aim...

ccbatson Guest

"You" mistakenly thought that we moved away from rational thought to irrational thought Gibran. Even if "we" had done as you say, that doesn't change the core rationality and absolutes of the philosophy...that A is A, and existents exist.

A A until it is drawn as a A

ccbatson Guest

You don't even understand the basic logic that a thing is what it is...sigh, hopeless.

well it wasn't an A until someone assigned the meaning to it...

I was kidding with yah...you really have friends here..we just agree to disagree more than we agree..so is that an absolute or subjective?

ccbatson Guest

It was what it was....always, regardless of label.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2