Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Sugar Island

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    unfortunately i soon found out that that's exactly the same time that the DNR was banning public access to the island to make it another friggin bird sanctuary.

It's not exactly going to be a sanctuary as the island is now open to hunting during all open Michigan hunting seasons. That's not much of a consolation as there really isn't anything to hunt on the island! In all my time there [[I've spent many days on the interior of the island) I have never seen a single game animal other than a couple deer. Of course the area around the island is home to many species of waterfowl that can be hunted, but the water was open to public hunting before the Feds purchased it. The ironic part is as a duck hunter funds that I contributed over the last 25 years were used to purchase the island and immediately close it to most public use. It sucks!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-04-13 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    It's not exactly going to be a sanctuary as the island is now open to hunting during all open Michigan hunting seasons. That's not much of a consolation as there really isn't anything to hunt on the island! In all my time there [[I've spent many days on the interior of the island) I have never seen a single game animal other than a couple deer. Of course the area around the island is home to many species of waterfowl that can be hunted, but the water was open to public hunting before the Feds purchased it. The ironic part is as a duck hunter funds that I contributed over the last 25 years were used to purchase the island and immediately close it to most public use. It sucks!
    wow that's fuckin moronic, as usual. kind of like how the DNR decided that they didnt want anyone to be able to land private planes on the small uninhabited islands of the Beaver Archipelago in Lk Michigan, so they rendered all the old landing strips unusable, i suppose to prevent illegal access. genius idea, guys. now nobody can land there safely in an emergency, if they develop engine trouble--not even DNR planes! dumbasses. im sure after some DNR agents are lost in the lake, they will ask us taxpayers to build all new runways on all the islands.

oh well, i guess i can still go to Sugar Island, ill just have to buy a duck permit. yunno, so i can help the DNR buy/ruin more islands.