Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Huff Post has a great title....'TEACH US HOW TO DUGGAN'. HAHAHAHAHAHA

As always I am amazed at the depth of knowledge on this forum. The local channels legal experts don't even know info, that is posted routinely here on DY. What the heck, they make the big bucks.

So often I read the papers and think to myself, what??? that old news, I read that on DY, sometimes 2 or 3 days ago.

Default Legal Analysis of Detroit Charter Requested

Question. How does the write-in campaign affect Duggan's eligibility under the Charter? Does it somehow change his "date of filing" to the day that [[presumably) results 1st or 2nd in the primary election via write-in votes?

Look out Tom Barrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Question. How does the write-in campaign affect Duggan's eligibility under the Charter? Does it somehow change his "date of filing" to the day that [[presumably) results 1st or 2nd in the primary election via write-in votes?
    Good question. I would think that he would be fine for the write-in campaign and the whole reason people file is to get their name on the ballot. With his name not on the ballot...I don't think you would have to technically have filled. Couldn't anybody decide the day before an election to have a write-in campaign and then just see what the results are? By the time the primary happens he would have well met the one-year residency requirement anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Good question. I would think that he would be fine for the write-in campaign and the whole reason people file is to get their name on the ballot. With his name not on the ballot...I don't think you would have to technically have filled. Couldn't anybody decide the day before an election to have a write-in campaign and then just see what the results are? By the time the primary happens he would have well met the one-year residency requirement anyways.
    If I'm not mistaken, you have to file like a week before the vote to be a write-in candidate. That keeps the city from actually have to count out votes for "Big Bird" or "Fuck Off" - they only have to count those names who filed for write-in.

Damn Barrow sucks. This clown actually came close to being mayor???

"It's creepy when a man tries to force himself on you against your will, and that is what Duggan is doing in his last desperate grasp to satisfy the political bloodlust of his supporters," Barrow said in a press release.

It's more than creepy when a man tries to force himself on anyone against their will. In fact, it's called rape. And that's a crime. A really, really bad crime.

Normally, it's refreshing when politicians go off-script and speak colorfully, but comparing a legal write-in campaign to rape doesn't so much insult Mike Duggan as it demeans the experience of actual rape victims.

Is Mike Duggan forcing himself upon voters against their will? Not if those voters, you know, don't vote for him.
    "With this decision, Duggan thinks he is better than the City Charter, better than the four judges, better than two Michigan courts, better than an entire field of qualified candidates, and ...better than even the last Messiah 2000 years ago who rose from the dead."
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...e#.Uc3bmtjTqEN

Are some of those really quotes from Barrow??? or others, if from Barrow, these, are quotes that show the man is deranged.

I have complete derision to a likening to a rape of voters. What an insult to women/children who know what that means.

Just disgusting.

As a write in nobody can say Mr Duggan was put in place by the powers to be ,because is that not the whole idea ,by the people for the people, not bought and paid for and accountable to all.

Can anybody invite Mr Barrow into their homes or community for discussion as they can with Mr Duggan? or any of the other candidates for that matter.

Mr Orr is there because there was no accountability to the taxpayer put a solid mayor and a strong CC representing you and there is really no need for the other, so to say they will be powerless for change is not even an issue.

Instead of all the energy to displace Mr Orr, channel it to where he is but an accountant lending a hand which the city needs.

Mr Barrow is an non issue ,just digging that bottomless pit for himself and not worth the despair.

Kudos to those on the CC that have decided to step down without the fanfare the city did not need at this time ,it shows integrity and hopefully leaves the door open for a better future Detroit.

Write-in candidates must fill out and submit a Declaration of Intent with the appropriate election official by 4:00 p.m. on the second Friday preceding the election.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/so...s_265989_7.pdf

I'm not going to speculate if residency requirement for a candidate starts at the filing deadline, the Declaration of Intent, or the date of the election.

A couple of years ago, I was on loan to a small village for a week. A write-in candidate for the local library committee thought he won a seat on the board. He never filled in a declaration of intent for the position. Every day, he would come in to the office threatening to sue the village, the clerk, and anyone else that would listen.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Write-in candidates must fill out and submit a Declaration of Intent with the appropriate election official by 4:00 p.m. on the second Friday preceding the election.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/so...s_265989_7.pdf

I'm not going to speculate if residency requirement for a candidate starts at the filing deadline, the Declaration of Intent, or the date of the election.

A couple of years ago, I was on loan to a small village for a week. A write-in candidate for the local library committee thought he won a seat on the board. He never filled in a declaration of intent for the position. Every day, he would come in to the office threatening to sue the village, the clerk, and anyone else that would listen.
    Quick, somebody send Duggan an email so he can mark this on his calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Do all you Dugganoids really want a guy in office who is insufficiently competent and/or dedicated to figure this out on his own? If he gets elected, is someone from DetroitYes going to send him weekly email updates to remind him what his job is supposed to entail? Far as I'm concerned, if he makes two disqualifying fuckups in the same campaign, he has no business running anything more complicated than a McDonald's franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Do all you Dugganoids really want a guy in office who is insufficiently competent and/or dedicated to figure this out on his own? If he gets elected, is someone from DetroitYes going to send him weekly email updates to remind him what his job is supposed to entail? Far as I'm concerned, if he makes two disqualifying fuckups in the same campaign, he has no business running anything more complicated than a McDonald's franchise.
    Going back to the beginning, two questions.

Is Detroit ready to elect a white mayor?

If a white mayor was elected would he be labeled as put in place by the powers to be and not by the people?

Forget about the color aspect which should not matter anyways but I would say both questions have been addressed and to underestimate a political process that one is not used to would be or could be the difference.

If Mr. Duggan becomes mayor it is because of the will of the people and nobody can say otherwise.

If one draws a hot bath do they not test the water first before jumping in?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Going back to the beginning, two questions.

Is Detroit ready to elect a white mayor?

If a white mayor was elected would he be labeled as put in place by the powers to be and not by the people?

Forget about the color aspect which should not matter anyways but I would say both questions have been addressed and to underestimate a political process that one is not used to would be or could be the difference.

If Mr. Duggan becomes mayor it is because of the will of the people and nobody can say otherwise.

If one draws a hot bath do they not test the water first before jumping in?
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or why you think it pertains to my post.

Hah! Point well taken, he needs help with a dates and deadline apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-13 at 06:03 PM.

LOL! Mikey-D's for Duggan! That's funny, yet I see your point. Ummm, looks like we just have a superb selection of candidates, present and pending. Great.

If he gets [Duggan] elected, is someone from DetroitYes going to send him weekly email updates to remind him what his job is supposed to entail? Far as I'm concerned, if he makes two disqualifying fuckups in the same campaign, he has no business running anything more complicated than a McDonald's franchise.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or why you think it pertains to my post.
    Hahahahahaha. I thought I was the only one!!!

If I were to guess, it's more that he's the lesser of the evils. And no human is error-proof; in fact, I find his admission of the fuckup - and not assigning blame to anyone on his team - to be a bit refreshing. Tom Barrow would probably have some sort of indirect analogy about the Charter being equivalent to bestiality or something.

How does it not?

Do all you Dugganoids really want a guy in office who is insufficiently competent and/or dedicated to figure this out on his own?

That was your question.

It is not like he fell out of the sky and decided to jump into Detroit politics along with his crew and supporters.

I saw Barrow talking to Chuck Stokes a few Sundays ago. Something ain't right about that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How does it not?

Do all you Dugganoids really want a guy in office who is insufficiently competent and/or dedicated to figure this out on his own?

That was your question.

It is not like he fell out of the sky and decided to jump into Detroit politics along with his crew and supporters
    Actually, that's EXACTLY what it's like.

I think Duggan has certain characteristics that would allow him to break down some walls that couldn't be broken down any other way. As far as he himself is concerned, as long as he can manage the city as well as Bing has Duggan would be a major asset in the long run.

[QUOTE=Crumbled_pavement;391268]I think Duggan has certain characteristics that would allow him to break down some walls that couldn't be broken down any other way. QUOTE]

What characteristics? Would a White mayor get more respect from metro Detroit and the state? Get Detroit in doors, that have been previously closed?
    Also, do you guys think Gary Brown was put in just in case a Non-Duggan mayor is elected, since Gary Brown will be handling the duties previously performed by the mayor? If Duggan gets in, then will there be a need for Gary Brown as Deputy Mayor?

Do write in candidates get to participate in official debates?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Do write in candidates get to participate in official debates?

Possibly! If that candidate made through the primaries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast