Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    So, what you are saying is that Orr should just let Pugh continue with his theatrics, drain the city for more money, stay on the payroll, incorporate this absurd 2 month, paid vacation into his sick time.
    I am saying Orr is needlessly risking creating a distraction. He is best to ignore the Council that is somewhere between being a student council and a rump parliament. Its only remaining power is as a media attraction.

Pugh's 'theatrics' were passive and this alpha dog action by Orr is a big I-dare-you poke in the eye. Suddenly Pugh is the story rather than restructuring debt.

To some degree this is similar to the US 'shock and awe' takeover of Iraq which was short and sweet but...

There is all the elements for an insurgency against Orr in Detroit. It just needs a determined figurehead.

The degeneration of Detroit Black Control keeps on going. Pugh don't want to be a political slave under Orr so he took an escape for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    "Pugh likes the spotlight and he is extremely articulate. Orr might have been better to 'let sleeping dogs lie' rather than create a distraction and a powerful enemy."

So, what you are saying is that Orr should just let Pugh continue with his theatrics, drain the city for more money, stay on the payroll, incorporate this absurd 2 month, paid vacation into his sick time. All the while, city employees salaries have been cut to the marrow, healthcare benefits are being cut; retirees are worrying themselves sick about where their pensions are headed and this creep is allowed to suck the life blood out of an already drained city, I certainly would hope that Orr takes the high road and gets rid of Pugh, permanently. Someone needs to take the helm in Detroit and whether we like it or not, it's Orr.

I am worried that because of council rules and charters, the City may be stupid enough to hold an emergency election to replace Kenyatta and Pugh and Brown, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process. That would be typical. One more thing, I would hope that Orr would eliminate this "paid 2 month vacation" that the council members will be taking soon...WTH???
    I agree. Very little of this would fly in the private sector. IF both Kenyatta and PU are indeed sick, they need to get doctors statements, then follow procedure for taking sick time. When that expires, and you're still "sick", then file for workman's comp. No write-in comments on work related issues and discussions while doing book signings and job searches. As someone once posted, everyone gets a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I am saying Orr is needlessly risking creating a distraction. He is best to ignore the Council that is somewhere between being a student council and a rump parliament. Its only remaining power is as a media attraction.

Pugh's 'theatrics' were passive and this alpha dog action by Orr is a big I-dare-you poke in the eye. Suddenly Pugh is the story rather than restructuring debt.

To some degree this is similar to the US 'shock and awe' takeover of Iraq which was short and sweet but...

There is all the elements for an insurgency against Orr in Detroit. It just needs a determined figurehead.
    I disagree. Orr is taking a fine-toothed comb to everything Council does. Looking through the agendas, he's down to denying approval of city lawsuit settlements he disagrees with. He is looking at every penny, which is his job, so I support this. Don't waste our money!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I disagree. Orr is taking a fine-toothed comb to everything Council does. Looking through the agendas, he's down to denying approval of city lawsuit settlements he disagrees with. He is looking at every penny, which is his job, so I support this. Don't waste our money!
    I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    If that is truly the case, then what possible justification is there to continue to pay any of their salaries? They have no authority, no veto power, and no agenda they attempt to implement needs be followed. Tell them all [[council, mayor and staff) to take an 18 month unpaid leave. There's few million right there.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    If that is truly the case, then what possible justification is there to continue to pay any of their salaries? They have no authority, no veto power, and no agenda they attempt to implement needs be followed. Tell them all [[council, mayor and staff) to take an 18 month unpaid leave. There's few million right there.
    1. Allowing City Council to remain instilled a relative peace in the city. It calmed a lot of public fears - can you imagine what would have happened if he immediately disbanded Council? As he gains public trust, however, I can see him disbanding Council.

2. Council is still doing work - they make a lot of decisions you probably aren't aware of. They are in touch with the will of the city and I think he takes their opinions into account. Something like lawsuit settlements, however, is purely legal.

3. They do have agendas. You can download and read them on the city council website.
    Last edited by TexasT; June-26-13 at 12:18 PM.

Aha - they want their jobs, they want to be paid. I think an honorable person, faced with having not much to do for $78,000 in a poor city would resign.
    If Orr is the one to take their salariess, then he will be a Very Bad Man in the eyes of the Grape Throwing Sector and there will be even more outrage. Best to throw a bone

I like Orr, I think he is a very perceptive smart guy. He came into this town took the time to understand the dysfunction of the political class and the vocal minority. He could have come in acting like a political hack throwing his weight around. He has shown a sensitivity to the fears of the average Detroiter while letting Detroiters know he has a tough job ahead and people are going to feel pain. He is holding people accountable for their actions. He is doing what our elected politicians should have been doing for years. While I'm not a big fan of our gov it took guts for him to bring an Obama Democrat in here to clean up the mess.

Releveant articles:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...fts-to-student

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...n-and-whos-out

I also heard somewhere that one of Pugh's friends said he was "sad about the state of Detroit" and that "we should just give him some time alone".

So there you guys go. He conveniently can't talk about giving $500 worth of gifts to an 18 year old student he was supposedly mentoring because he's on sick leave now. Charles Pugh: A Cool Guy Who Deserves A Paycheck.

I guess he is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Releveant articles:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...fts-to-student

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...n-and-whos-out

I also heard somewhere that one of Pugh's friends said he was "sad about the state of Detroit" and that "we should just give him some time alone".

So there you guys go. He conveniently can't talk about giving $500 worth of gifts to an 18 year old student he was supposedly mentoring because he's on sick leave now. Charles Pugh: A Cool Guy Who Deserves A Paycheck.
    Downfall of politicians everywhere...chasing young tail. What's the saying about politicians? Never get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy? Nice job Chuck.

Wow! Pugh paid for a "prom night hotel" room. What sort of responsible adult mentor does that for a kid? No one I know would do that - especially when the schools beg the parents not to.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Wow! Pugh paid for a "prom night hotel" room. What sort of responsible adult mentor does that for a kid? No one I know would do that - especially when the schools beg the parents not to.
    Gifts alone aren't enough to do him in for me [[although he has some explaining to do). I mentor a girl through Big Bro/Big Sis and I could see getting her a prom dress down the line if she couldn't afford to [[although we aren't technically supposed to do things like that). But we spend a few hours a week together and you get pretty close after a while, so gifts alone aren't suspicious.

Hotel room, again, some explaining to do. Not the best judgment but it was pretty common to get rooms at my prom, especially for 18 year olds. Were there chaperones? Did the mom know [[said she disapproved of the cell phone but didn't say the same about the hotel)?

Would your teacher have rented a room for you?

I hope someone digs deep into his expense account with the City of Detroit. He can't pay his own bills and has gone through 2 or 3 foreclosures and now he is paying for cell phones, expensive brief cases, neckties, tickets to Pistons games for young men. Where did the money come from? If he did pay for this out of taxpayer money, it needs to be investigated and the money should be paid back.
    I respected Charles Pugh when he was with Fox2Detroit, he seemed like a man of integrity. My opinion of him has changed.

Would your teacher have rented a room for you?
    My teacher? No, I didn't really have any personal relationship with my teachers. But plenty of parents did for their kids. I mean, in a couple months those same kids are heading off to college on their own...some people had chaperones, some didn't. Some parents understood their kids to be responsible, some didn't.

I'm mean, this is a religious site and even it recognizes the "tradition" of post-prom rooms:

A post-prom party is considered the norm, and for high school seniors it may include renting hotel rooms or cabins for all-night activities. Discuss after-prom options with your teen and settle on a prom curfew based on your teen's level of responsibility and his evening plans.

http://www.thrivingfamily.com/Family...-now-what.aspx

A post-prom room, depending on the circumstances, isn't necessarily like buying the kid alcohol or cigarettes. And in some circumstances, it may be worse than that. Just saying, not enough to convict the man yet.
    Last edited by TexasT; June-26-13 at 02:42 PM.

I personally think he's depressed, and perhaps suffering from a more serious emotional disorder. His actions [[or lack thereof) show all the signs of it.

Still doesn't mean he should get the paid vacation though.

A teacher paying to rent a post prom hotel room for a student [[a 'special student, obviously) is outrageous - and Pugh had the staus of a teacher.

Indeed, a closer reading of the site you submit implies that hotel room rentals are not the best alternative for religious families:

A post-prom party is considered the norm, and for high school seniors it may include renting hotel rooms or cabins for all-night activities. Discuss after-prom options with your teen and settle on a prom curfew based on your teen's level of responsibility and his evening plans.
    Consider volunteering at the school's after-prom event, or host your own after-prom party — complete with a pancake breakfast. Have your teen give you his complete itinerary for the evening, including whom he'll be with, where they'll be going after the prom and phone numbers where he can be reached. For younger teens, you may even want to establish "call-in" times so they can touch base throughout the night.

A teacher paying to rent a post prom hotel room for a student [[a 'special student, obviously) is outrageous - and Pugh had the staus of a teacher.
    Well yeah, I wouldn't expect extremely religious people to be cool with it. I wouldn't expect of a lot of non-religious people to be cool with it. I was just pointing out that they recognized the tradition. It's pretty common and it's often an organized, chaperoned event.

I can easily understand the argument that he shouldn't have been giving the kid cash for anything and that the hotel room is controversial. But I'm not chalking it up to anything extremely devious [[yet). Pugh needs to make a statement ASAP if he didn't do anything really wrong because people's heads are going there.
    Last edited by TexasT; June-26-13 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The critics of the EM law like painting the mayor and council as powerless. This simply isn't true. A functional mayor and council are crucial to the future success of the city.

The EM is like the paramedic and police office at the scene of a traffic accident. Lots of power to affect your life -- but only briefly. After you've been released, it again becomes important to stop doing crack, drinking rubbing alcohol, running up credit card debt, and starting bar fights.

We need to put a strong mayor and strong council in place that is 100% ready for the return of power.

Its only melodrama from the forces of the status quo who argue that the council/mayor are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The degeneration of Detroit Black Control keeps on going. Pugh don't want to be a political slave under Orr so he took an escape for a while.
    Why do so many of your posts reference race?

It's after 5:00. Where's Pugh?

too busy seducing"?

Not getting paid.

Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr’s legal team is preparing an order to strip City Council President Charles Pugh of all his pay, benefits and responsibilities.
    Orr spokesman Bill Nowling said the order is being drafted because Pugh — whose whereabouts have been a mystery this week — missed a 5 p.m. deadline today to decide whether to resign or return to work.
    Orr cannot remove Pugh from office under the state’s emergency manager law. He can, however, set elected officials’ compensation and duties.
    “The deadline has passed. We are drawing up the order now,” Nowling said in an interview at city hall shortly after 5 p.m. “I think he’d have to give a pretty compelling reason why Kevyn shouldn’t sign the order.”
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013062...l-Charles-Pugh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast