Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    48009 Guest

I don't get why Wayne is charging so many of their students university-esque tuition rates [[$350-400/hr) if they're not prepared for university level course work. Further, do they give huge scholarships to the <25% of students who are actually there to learn and contribute? I question the sanity of anyone who takes their education seriously, paying their hard earned money to learn in such dire conditions. How do they retain the top students when UD, UM-Dearborn and Oakland are all moderately close?

Dire conditions? A strong education from good instructors? I did not attend WSU, but my education was never much affected by my classmates. I'm sorry if your experience was different.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Dire conditions? A strong education from good instructors? I did not attend WSU, but my education was never much affected by my classmates. I'm sorry if your experience was different.
    When 75% of your classmates don't want to be there, the situation is VERY dire. The vibe in the classroom is helpless and depressing. It doesn't foster growth and that environment shouldn't cost anyone $350-400/hr.

I'm guessing that 48009 didn't actually go to Michigan, since he couldn't get in, but has a real boner for them and watches all the games on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    When 75% of your classmates don't want to be there, the situation is VERY dire. The vibe in the classroom is helpless and depressing. It doesn't foster growth and that environment shouldn't cost anyone $350-400/hr.
    How very imaginative. A psychiatrist could have a field day with you.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm guessing that 48009 didn't actually go to Michigan, since he couldn't get in, but has a real boner for them and watches all the games on TV.
    Bachelors from DePaul, and completing my masters at Oakland. Not really into sports, I just find it repulsive when people here insult one of the state's strongest assets [[U of M). As I said back on page 2, generally two types of people who insult U of M-Ann Arbor: mostly those those couldn't get in or a very small pc that regret they didn't go. In my experience, someone who goes Ivy doesn't go out of their way to insult Ann Arbor, and is bright enough to recognize it's a hell of a school.

A lot of Michigan universities are robbing students, Wayne happens to be the biggest offender, and has the nerve to make a bold 9% tuition hike.
    Last edited by 48009; June-28-13 at 02:21 PM.

What are your thoughts about Oakland's med school?

When it comes to undergrads, 1st and 2nd year students [[and sometimes upper classmen) do not want to be in MOST of their classes...no matter the university. This is when most take their general education requirements. I took a ton of classes that I did not want to take because I had to. I understand now why it was important, but at the time, it was torturous to NEED courses I had no interest in [[I went to U of M, Ann Arbor as an UG). I did well, but less motivated students could easily get discouraged. If you look at electives...most of the students actually want to be there. But sure, an intro bio course will be full of disinterested people taking it to fulfill the life science requirement.

Granted, WSU has a lot less qualified students...but I think it's off-base to judge an education's worth based on how interested undergrads are in attending a class.

What are your thoughts about Oakland's med school?

It's pretty pathetic and the people running it are really clueless. I know one of the faculty there really well and it was such a trainwreck that she just left for another job.

Arguing about the relative merits of colleges is like writing love letters to the tax code.

It's pretty pathetic and the people running it are really clueless. I know one of the faculty there really well and it was such a trainwreck that she just left for another job.
    I'm sure we're on the same page, but I was curious about 48009's thoughts on Oakland ripping off their students.

there needs to be an expanded curriculum at wayne county community college. There should also be an all-new university created within Detroit city limits; there is certainly enough blighted, relatively available space for it. It would be interesting to see something like this get started.

48009 Guest

I'm sure we're on the same page, but I was curious about 48009's thoughts on Oakland ripping off their students.

I don't really know too much about it. But there is a very real need for more doctors, so I was happy to see it open as I am happy to see Western's open and I am happy to see MSU's extend into Flint. Very good for the state of Michigan in general. And good to see Wayne and Toledo get some area comp. With that said, I'm aware of the residency shortage issues, with more and more med school grads not getting matched. Hopefully more is done soon to open up more training spots for all M4s. It's also one of, but prob the most important reason established schools like Wayne and Toledo hate seeing new med schools opening, i.e. more comp for residency matches, which leads to cheap baseless insults.
    Last edited by 48009; June-28-13 at 07:50 PM.

I don't really know too much about it. But there is a very real need for more doctors, so I was happy to see it open as I am happy to see Western's open and I am happy to see MSU's extend into Flint. Very good for the state of Michigan in general. And good to see Wayne and Toledo get some area comp. With that said, I'm aware of the residency shortage issues, with more and more med school grads not getting matched. Hopefully more is done soon to open up more training spots for all M4s. It's also one of, but prob the most important reason established schools like Wayne and Toledo hate seeing new med schools opening, i.e. more comp for residency matches, which leads to cheap baseless insults.

And you ignored my earlier post about that. In 2013 WSU M4s had a match rate of 98%. And that's a class of 300, the largest in the entire country. That is also a higher rate than UM and MSU.

I don't really know too much about it.
    You should have ended it there!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    there needs to be an expanded curriculum at wayne county community college. There should also be an all-new university created within Detroit city limits; there is certainly enough blighted, relatively available space for it. It would be interesting to see something like this get started.

That is a really high potential area of development for Detroit. Maybe grow Wayne State the way DMC is growing and use that available land which is scarce in other cities. The Université de Montréal will develop another campus over the next twenty years on the only available land north of Mount Royal on disused rail yards. Imagine a gigantic modern addition to a rehabbed Freemason Hall that would contribute a nice part to that puzzle.

48009 Guest

And you ignored my earlier post about that. In 2013 WSU M4s had a match rate of 98%. And that's a class of 300, the largest in the entire country. That is also a higher rate than UM and MSU.
    That's great, but UM and MSU were 97%, so you're being a little petty. I hope Wayne is successful but what they're doing with the undergraduate program doesn't reflect well on the school as a whole. Separately, more in-state med schools is a good thing, and keeping those med schools grads here with more in-state residencies is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I was accepted into Michigan with lower standards than you state around 15 years ago, and I'm not a "special case" [[not affirmative action or athlete or legacy). My sister was accepted just 5 years ago on the lower end of your ACT range and below your GPA range. We both went to public MI high schools.

Michigan accepts around 50% of in-state applicants. In contrast, Ivy League schools tend to accept 5%-10% of applicants [[and I would bet their applicant pool is more elite).
    To me, there is a gigantic difference between 5% acceptance rate at Harvard or Columbia and 50% acceptance rate at Michigan.

So to say that Wayne State "sucks" and Michigan is "elite", is a bit of a stretch. There's a huge gap between Wayne State and Michigan, but yet another huge gap between Michigan and the really top universities.

In my world, WSU is a respectable regional university, Michigan is a well regarded global university, and places like the Ivy League/Stanford/MIT are the truly elite. The three types of universities have different roles and don't really directly compete with one another.
    Bham, My experience from twenty-five years ago mirrors yours. About forty percent of my graduating class [[approximately 120 of us) attended either UM or MSU straight out of high school. I was accepted to both with a 3.2 GPA and a score of 28 on the ACT. Hardly elite from an undergraduate perspective.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5