Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Nope.

And even if it was, it would probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars to rehab. It's not worth it, thus the discussion abut how Ilitch is so mean and evil is pointless.

The same goes for the Hotel Charlevoix.

And you know what's the real irony here? I bet if Dan Gilbert purchased these structures and had plans to demolish them, everything would be just peachy with most of the folks here.
    True, but if Gilbert bought them their would be renderings of the replacement attached to the facades before they were even demolished. And the replacements would be rising from the ground six months after demolition.

Gilbert buys a building and the next week renovations are underway. Ilitch buys a building and 25 years later it's still sitting there - if we're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    True, but if Gilbert bought them their would be renderings of the replacement attached to the facades before they were even demolished. And the replacements would be rising from the ground six months after demolition.

Gilbert buys a building and the next week renovations are underway. Ilitch buys a building and 25 years later it's still sitting there - if we're lucky.
    If downtown's comeback is real, then the land will get redeveloped purely by market forces.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If downtown's comeback is real, then the land will get redeveloped purely by market forces.
    But just to be sure those market forces never show their ugly face, let's give Mike Ilitch more money to bulldoze more of downtown.

I can't imagine -- maybe I'm misjudging their character -- the Illiches deciding to dump at sweetheart [[or even realistic) prices the land that doesn't get developed as part of this arena. So, yeah, they'll hold on to it as surface lots while 'waiting for an interested buyer.'

Which is to say that the broad trend of landowners waiting to cash in their Golden Ticket -- by which so much reinvestment has been stifled -- will probably just carry on.

I just hope they bother to do a better job at dust management than was done with the Hotel Charlevoix. Thirty floors is an awful lot of pigeon shit and paint chips.

"You are certainly entitled to your view, but I bet there are hundreds of thousands who vehemently disagree with you."

I'm sure there are thousands of suburbanites who are quite happy to have Detroit take on a few hundred million in new debt to subsidize a billionaire's hockey team.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "You are certainly entitled to your view, but I bet there are hundreds of thousands who vehemently disagree with you."

I'm sure there are thousands of suburbanites who are quite happy to have Detroit take on a few hundred million in new debt to subsidize a billionaire's hockey team.
    No, this is "good" debt.

The Red Wings are one of the only 5 thing worth the investment in Detroit for most suburbanites [[the others being the Fireworks, PArade, Lions and Tigers).

I want to know what's going to happen to the buildings on the north side of Temple -- the Alhambra apartment building and the 1880s-1890s Romanesque-style houses. Those are all worth saving and rehabbing to residential/commercial.

"Not the Cole! You monster!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3