Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Depends on the price, stuff under $500K moves really fast.

In LA/Southern California , there are full subdivisions like this, full of tacky new money, whatever, and most suburbs are rushing to look like this , all those tacky "new" mc mansions in Novi , northville and Rochester Hills , Selby Township ect
    I guess we really didn't learn anything from the real estate meltdown ?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    In LA/Southern California , there are full subdivisions like this, full of tacky new money, whatever, and most suburbs are rushing to look like this , all those tacky "new" mc mansions in Novi , northville and Rochester Hills , Selby Township ect I guess we really didn't learn anything from the real estate meltdown ?
    The house in discussion that this thread was started about was built in 2006. In hindsight, they probably wish they hadn't built this ediface to excess.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    The house in discussion that this thread was started about was built in 2006. In hindsight, they probably wish they hadn't built this ediface to excess.
    This place isn't a showy mcmansion some speculating schmuck builds in Novi or on a non-private drive in Birmingham so everyone can see. This place is first-class and on a secluded dirt road in northern Oakland County. And I don't know the family personally, but I do know they're not going to worry about money for a few generations. Further, they have other expensive local real estate in their portfolio. This isn't some family that's hurting for dough and needs to get out of this house because it's sucking them dry.
    Last edited by 48009; June-17-13 at 01:43 PM.

[QUOTE=48009;388688]This place is first-class and on a secluded dirt road in northern Oakland County.

48009 - I can assure you somehow you have a financial interest in this house. You are far too defensive of it and the entire thread seems nothing more than a marketing ploy on your part to drum up support/discussion of this nondescript travesty of a house until the mainstream media covers it and you get the coverage you're so desparately craving. We won't be pawns in your chess game, even if its on a rural pothole riddled dirt road in Oakland County.

48009 Guest

Ha, I wish I had interest in it. I stumbled upon it on Zillow yesterday, saw that it was a recent listing and figured the forum would find it fascinating. I also love the uber wealthy who build on some huge secluded lot in a rural area, on a dirt road in contrast to the obnoxious and flashy LOOK AT HOW MUCH MONEY WE HAVE newer builds around Bloomfield, et al.
    Last edited by 48009; June-17-13 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Doubtful. They do it because they can. And old school conservative folks believe a bigger house illustrates that you're a chosen one, closer to God. I'm sure someone on here is an expert in theology that can explain where that mentality comes from.
    There is a certain thread of Calvinism where that originated, but there is also a certain thread of Calvinism that eschewed ostentation.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There is a certain thread of Calvinism where that originated, but there is also a certain thread of Calvinism that eschewed ostentation.
    Wealth and prosperity are a sign of God's Grace.

Ostentacious display is giving in to the temptations of the devil.

The Mcdevil manse.

I was recently in this area and some of the homes in Oakland Township are seriously huge. Like you break your neck driving by wondering who lives in them and what the inside is like.

"The area of Telegraph and Square Lake is Bloomfield Township. The far corners of Bloomfield Twp that border Pontiac has always been transitional, and frankly is not one of the more desirable areas to be in. Every city/township is going to have some fringe areas."

How about south of Square Lake and east of Telegraph, more toward Long Lake? That's more what I meant. I was personally elated to see such diversity in the subdivisions east of Telegraph. Not too long ago you would not have seen such diversity.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; June-18-13 at 07:54 AM.

BTW - -- I'm curious; where is the section 8 Housing in these areas?

Sounds like RE agent/broker talk to me. If homes really are selling in the area it's because prices are so low. Many of my neighbors would love to get out but can't sell without incurring a sizable loss.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Prices in Birmingham have never been higher. There is almost no inventory besides junk.

Prices in Bloomfield haven't appreciated as quickly, but in prime areas [[near Cranbrook, near Kirk in the Hills), inventory is almost as low as Birmingham.

Try finding something decent and move-in condition for a family for under 600k in Birmingham. Good luck.

Here is another monster house that sold a couple of years ago: an unusually low price for something so large: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15...24492280_zpid/

I'm guessing it needed some major repairs - $1.7 mil for 20K+ ft seems low even for a foreclosure/short sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    In LA/Southern California , there are full subdivisions like this, full of tacky new money, whatever, and most suburbs are rushing to look like this , all those tacky "new" mc mansions in Novi , northville and Rochester Hills , Selby Township ect
    I guess we really didn't learn anything from the real estate meltdown ?
    The architecture and interior design of this house may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this home cannot in any manner be compared to those found in mcmansion subdivisions. The outstanding quality of materials is plainly apparent from the listing photos. Not a single element is close to the builder's grade found in most mcmansion construction. Architecturally, it is a very well executed example of French Provincial or French Normandy revival. It is a very fine home.

That said, what is with the asking price? The listing states an "assessment" of $2 million. Is that an SEV, taxable value or market value? It's unclear. Even if that is the SEV, they are asking 4X what the assessor has the property pegged at. What is likely is that the acreage can be divided and developed, hence the huge price.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The architecture and interior design of this house may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this home cannot in any manner be compared to those found in mcmansion subdivisions. The outstanding quality of materials is plainly apparent from the listing photos. Not a single element is close to the builder's grade found in most mcmansion construction. Architecturally, it is a very well executed example of French Provincial or French Normandy revival. It is a very fine home.
    Exactly. I sound like a chearleader but this is an amazing example of the highest quality on a very large scale--sooooooo far removed from a "mcmansion". And the listing I saw said $15,000,000 asking price, so that's why I put it in the title.

It's a beautiful property, I've been in this house as I know the entire family very well. This is the grandson of the founder of RGIS. His fathers home is close by and is 10,000 sq. ft. larger and from the 3rd floor has a clear view of the Ren Cen. There wonderful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    It's a beautiful property, I've been in this house as I know the entire family very well. This is the grandson of the founder of RGIS. His fathers home is close by and is 10,000 sq. ft. larger and from the 3rd floor has a clear view of the Ren Cen. There wonderful people.
    "On a clear day, you can see the Ren-Cen....." Hmmmmmmmm, Kinda catchy. Who here can write music?

48009 Guest

10k sq/ft larger? I know they also own 1558 Dutton, but that's not larger than this place. The only other monsters that I know of nearby are the 2540 Silverbell and 5365 Brewster--neither of which list a Nicholson. 350 Camelot is close, but only 15k sq/ft. Tell us where this elusive ~30k sq/ft monster is.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Gauche! I guess you can't buy taste.

Bad taste = his house is bigger than mine

10k sq/ft larger? I know they also own 1558 Dutton, but that's not larger than this place. The only other monsters that I know of nearby are the 2540 Silverbell and 5365 Brewster--neither of which list a Nicholson. 350 Camelot is close, but only 15k sq/ft. Tell us where this elusive ~30k sq/ft monster is.
    It is indeed Dutton Road between Livernois and Brewster...been there many times and the sq. ft. number is 29,850 according to Mr Nicholson.

48009 Guest

It is indeed Dutton Road between Livernois and Brewster...been there many times and the sq. ft. number is 29,850 according to Mr Nicholson.
    Assessing dept disagrees with his lofty estimate. Almost 16k sq/ft for the Dutton house.

Assessing dept disagrees with his lofty estimate. Almost 16k sq/ft for the Dutton house.
    The lower level contains the rest, it's contains the theatre, Indoor swimming pool and banquet hall...and many other rooms that are open to the garden.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3