Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yes, these malls are dying, but isn't the mall concept kind of dying? Who has the need for the "mall" in the face of megastores such as Cosco, Wal-Mart, Meijer, not to mention internet retail, where you have a huge amount of options and usually costs are lower. Also, look at how stores like J.C. Penney and Kohls are expanding, not through building inside of malls, but inside of strip-malls, or just being singular buildings.

At the same time, the malls are becoming more of a niche for upscale shopping experiences, look at the three successful malls in this region -- Great Lakes Crossing [[granted an outlet mall), Somerset Collection, and Twelve Oaks. These three offer more of the "premium" stores such as Saks, Neimans, Nordstrom, and are also are near [[or have incorporated) other entertainment opportunities than just shopping such as movies, nice restaurants, etc.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Yes, these malls are dying, but isn't the mall concept kind of dying? Who has the need for the "mall" in the face of megastores such as Cosco, Wal-Mart, Meijer, not to mention internet retail, where you have a huge amount of options and usually costs are lower. Also, look at how stores like J.C. Penney and Kohls are expanding, not through building inside of malls, but inside of strip-malls, or just being singular buildings.

At the same time, the malls are becoming more of a niche for upscale shopping experiences, look at the three successful malls in this region -- Great Lakes Crossing [[granted an outlet mall), Somerset Collection, and Twelve Oaks. These three offer more of the "premium" stores such as Saks, Neimans, Nordstrom, and are also are near [[or have incorporated) other entertainment opportunities than just shopping such as movies, nice restaurants, etc.
    Detroit, while I would agree Somerset and Twelve Oaks are nicer malls, GLC isn't. To call it upscale would never have entered my mind.

I had a sneaking suspicion I was no longer the target demographic, but stores like Costco and Sam's Club are not my style. I don't need a 100 case of granola bars at a time. ;-)

Yeah, malls are dying period. I don't think there have been any new traditional type of malls built in the U.S. since 2006.

How is Partridge Creek doing? That's the name of that "lifestyle center" over in Macomb County, right?

If the shopping mall loses a anchor store, it dies. That what happen to Summit Place, Wonderland, Tel Twelve, Livonia, Mall, Tower Center Place and Universal.
    Last edited by Danny; July-10-09 at 12:05 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I agree. The general trend seems to be going toward destination malls with the future in urban designed and sustainable mixed use centers. I would argue that the big box experience is also nearing it's point of decline, although I know that most will not agree with that, especially when they look at sales numbers and lease rates alone.