A while ago, there was a thread about Livonia Mall. It had maybe 70+ posts, but towards the end, it turned into city-suburbs debate. I was going to post some pictures that someone requested, but never got to it. I passed by the former Livonia Mall yesterday and it made me think about the subject of "dead" or former Metro Detroit malls. So I uploaded and compiled a lot of pictures that I took. Two of the malls don't exist anymore.

The 200+ pictures of Livonia Mall, Universal Mall and Summit Place Mall can be seen at:

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...bad89/?start=0

UM = Universal Mall
LM = Livonia Mall
SPM = Summit Place Mall

First, there is the Universal Mall in Warren, on the first page. It closed last summer. I went with someone else and checked it out a couple days before it closed. Most stores were closed by then except for Burlington Coat Factory, a few clothing stores and an arcade.

Then from page 1 until 4 is Livonia Mall. The first of three Livonian malls was closed a few years ago, Wonderland Mall. That has since been redeveloped. They plan to do the same here. Only Sears and the cool mall sign were left on that site. When I passed by yesterday, everything else was completely leveled with only dirt left. I went maybe two days before it closed last summer. A couple months prior, the mall was still on life support at maybe 15% occupancy. It was dark and there was a buzzing sound as I passed through the halls.

From the end of page 4 until 6 is Summit Place Mall in Waterford on the border of Pontiac. Supposedly, it was originally very small but grew to 1.4 million square feet in the early 90s, making it the largest Michigan Mall for a while. I know Twelve Oaks is over 1.5 million sq ft now. Unlike the others, Summit Place is still open, but it was really vacant and dark. It's amazing to think that at one time, it was completely full. I read that as of April, it is now 96% vacant.

Discussion is welcome.