Quote:

Downtown Detroit's I-375 could be transformed to surface street

By Marlon A. Walker | Detroit Free Press

June 9, 2013

I-375 could disappear and be replaced with a surface street, essentially closing the gap that currently divides downtown from its residential neighbors to the east.

The idea is one of several being discussed by stakeholders from downtown businesses. Much of the mile-long I-375, which is nearly 50 years old, is outdated and in need of repair. Several business leaders met in April to discuss the possible landscape change.

“I think we all know or are aware of the fact that the freeway is not in great condition,” said Faye Nelson, president and CEO of the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy. “If something were to occur in terms of changes, this is the right time.”

Nelson joined forces with George W. Jackson Jr., president and CEO of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., and went to the Michigan Department of Transportation with the idea to open the floor for suggestions on the face of the corridor going forward, as Detroit continues to realize a downtown revitalization. She said rethinking I-375 now for businesses and residents could add to the “quality of life and the potential for economic development.”

“As it exists, 375 represents a barrier,” Nelson said. “It separates the community east and west of Jefferson. We are really looking to gather with our chief stakeholders to have a conversation on whether this is the right time to evaluate 375, and what is the best approach to take with respect to this issue. Hopefully, we can come up with a solution on whether there will be any changes to the freeway, what they are, how they will be funded.”

This could be a creative option[[s) to connect downtown/Lafayette Park to the Riverfront. Sort of like the dequindre cut with shops, restaurants and water activities..etc. Boat docking/fishing like this plan in Chicago :http://fotp.org/news/chicago-set-to-...-its-riverwalk

Everything is always based around cars, let it be pedestrian friendly, less car traffic. A nice wide, beautiful landscaped attraction-type development. Connection is key, I hope the plans are done right.