Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Why does everything have to go Republican vs. Democrat on this site anymore? Don't you have a real arguement? And how has my opinion that crap "art" is crap been discredited? It is my opinion and sorry to say the opinion of everyone but the art snobs. Look I love art as much as the next guy but I fail to see how throwing a bunch of garbage together is art. You might disagree with me and that is fine but sue me for expressing my opinion.

How do we know the Council was not more specific in what they wanted and the artist simply ignored them. I mean artist can be a little confrontational if they don't get to do what they want, I know my artist friends can.
I agree that throwing garbage together is not art. Pulling out the "public funding" argument IS the talking point of many years ago. Foundation money is NOT public money.
Remember Maplethorpe? That argument is all about repression of viewpoints that are not "mainstream".

How do we know that the council was not more specific? Really... it's the council. They weren't interested in specific. When you think of art in this town, who's name is published more in the paper than any other? Tyree. And he probably reccommended the others. What's funny is that there's 2 schools downtown , Wayne and CCS, that have considerable talent. Did they even approach them for ideas? Have a design contest? Judged by the people or by a coherent jury? Not a chance.