Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I don't understand the draw of Atlanta besides MAYBE the weather. I guess they do offer tax incentives like all the other southern states, so that may be another reason.

[QUOTE=MikeM;387318]And this has what to do with Detroit?[/QUOTE

Good Question.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    And this has what to do with Detroit?
    Good Question.
    Seconded...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't understand the draw of Atlanta besides MAYBE the weather. I guess they do offer tax incentives like all the other southern states, so that may be another reason.
    This is the tie between this thread and Detroit. We don't see why Atlanta is a magnet for business. Perhaps that's an insight.

Motorola solutions is basically the portion of the company in Schaumburg that's left after Google acquired Motorola Mobility and moved everyone out of Libertyville and into downtown Chicago. That [[as a totally different company) is obviously staying since Google has been heavily investing in new office space in downtown Chicago. But as for Motorola Solutions, not surprised since it's expensive as hell to operate a business here in Illinois. Hopefully this is a wake up call to our governor. Definitely sucks for Schaumburg though.

And just to be clear, most news articles out there are bundling this potential move with the Pulte headlines. So both are highly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    This is the tie between this thread and Detroit. We don't see why Atlanta is a magnet for business. Perhaps that's an insight.
    It also raises the question of why can't Atlanta create its own businesses?

At this point in time, I'd think anywhere would be a better draw for companies to move to than Detroit. Until Detroit rectify's all it's problems, no major company is going to set up shop here. Not being negative, just calling it like I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Did I miss why you think they can't or don't? I assume that they are creating businesses in addition to attracting existing businesses. They often go hand-in-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    There is not much left of Motorola. I worked for Motorola in the '80s when they were a Fortune 25 company. Since then they have systematically dismantled themselves. They were a major player in computer chip manufacturing, but they sold all of those facilities to Asian companies. All of their other businesses have been sold or outsourced as well. I thought the remaining phone business that Google bought was the end of the company. I can't think of a better example of an American company that sold their soul to foreign interests.

I can think of Nortel Networks or the old Northern Telecom, a canadian company that unraveled in a pitiful way in the nineties until today. There are a bunch of VP's there now lining their pockets selling off their patents to the world...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    They created a few, you might have heard of;

Coco-cola Corp.

Home Depot

Cox Communications

TurnerCommunications -CNN

Georgia Pacific

AGCO Industries

Weather Channel

and a few thousand more.

A more complete list'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...ies_in_Atlanta

and this belongs on the non-Detroit column.

yeah, 90+ degrees and 85% humidity and no water sounds lovely

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    A more complete list'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...ies_in_Atlanta

and this belongs on the non-Detroit column.
    looking over that list, there aren't many of those companies I would care to have HQs here. Maybe Delta, maybe Coca-Cola, UPS and Lockheed-Martin.

Coco-cola Corp.

Home Depot

Cox Communications

Georgia Pacific

AGCO Industries

Weather Channel

and a few thousand more.
    In fact, the better question would be what does Detroit bring to the country that isn't associated with the names Ford, Chrysler and GM?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    looking over that list, there aren't many of those companies I would care to have HQs here. Maybe Delta, maybe Coca-Cola, UPS and Lockheed-Martin.
    Beggars can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In fact, the better question would be what does Detroit bring to the country that isn't associated with the names Ford, Chrysler and GM?
    An incredibly skilled area workforce. That's why other states have the Michigan expat phenomena. Go to places like Atlanta, Chicago and Los Angeles, you'll find large numbers of former Michigan residents either born and raised in the state or passed through Michigan's universities. Why are the numbers so high? Because Michigan has always been a very populated state, but it's suffered some of the biggest losses as people graduate and move out.

What the other states have the benefits of are very attractive urban places OR they are cheap places to run a business. In my opinion, Detroit should continue to be an attractive place to live. While in ideal case investment would be spread all around the city, more dollars need to be focused downtown or in midtown where they'll get the biggest return.

Coco-cola Corp.

Home Depot

Cox Communications

Georgia Pacific

AGCO Industries

Weather Channel

and a few thousand more.
    Maybe I stated that incorrectly. Why doesn't Atlanta have its own industry[[ies)? Is Atlanta building itself up by leeching off of industries built in other cities sustainable? Is Atlanta the metropolitan equivalent of a tax shelter economy? [[Such as the Caymans)

I guess it is because we don't have $5.8 mil in tax "incentives" to toss around like GA does.

That poster that wrote that they didn't care for having most of the companies HQ'd in Atlanta in Detroit cracks me up. It's that same sort of delusional, Monopoly-style thinking you see in topics about how Detroit needs another big statue or some such nonsense. Let's get in the real world here and accept that Detroit needs whatever it can get!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    That poster that wrote that they didn't care for having most of the companies HQ'd in Atlanta in Detroit cracks me up. It's that same sort of delusional, Monopoly-style thinking you see in topics about how Detroit needs another big statue or some such nonsense. Let's get in the real world here and accept that Detroit needs whatever it can get!
    Agreed.

In reality, they're simply jealous.

Yeah, it's also interesting how Atlanta built what is quite possibly the most frightening freeway in human history right in its downtown [[with a proximity to skyscrapers that would've made Detroit's urban planners weak in the knees with lust) and yet the city thrives economically. And how so?

I guess it is because we don't have $5.8 mil in tax "incentives" to toss around like GA does.

Ricky doesn't believe in them, just cutting corporate taxes and shifting the burden to retirees

What are you talking about? We just spent $4.3 mil and scored a Ho' Foods!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yeah, it's also interesting how Atlanta built what is quite possibly the most frightening freeway in human history right in its downtown [[with a proximity to skyscrapers that would've made Detroit's urban planners weak in the knees with lust) and yet the city thrives economically. And how so?
    and yet Atlanta leads the nation in % of poverty based in its suburbs
    More than 780,000 people lived below the poverty line in the Atlanta suburbs in 2011 — a nearly 159% increase from the year 2000. The Atlanta area has been one of the fastest-growing in the nation, with the metro population rising 24% between 2000 and 2010. This was concentrated almost entirely in the suburbs, where the population grew by 26%, versus just 0.2% for the city itself. At the end of 2011, 88% of all the area’s residents living below the poverty lived in the suburbs — the largest proportion of any large metro area in the nation.

Read more: Cities Where Suburban Poverty Is Skyrocketing - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2013/05/28/citi...#ixzz2VmF9MAZP

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What are you talking about? We just spent $4.3 mil and scored a Ho' Foods!
    Don't forget, we spent millions more and scored a Mai-yer as well.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast