Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Good article.

Bill would Safeguard Artworks for Bankruptcy
    http://www.freep.com/

The state can come up with working solutions when it wants to. Detroiters should be allowed to keep their city/county/state taxes until these entities can provide working services.

There is absolutely no benefit to living in this city despite all the damn taxes we pay.

That is a great article , this stood out to me
    "
    The hope is that Mr. Orr, who worked as a lead attorney on Chrysler’s managed bankruptcy, will be able to prevent Detroit from entering Chapter 9. Yet in one of his first acts, he signed off on the hiring of his own former law firm, Jones Day, to help restructure Detroit’s long-term debt — despite the fact that Jones Day already represents some of the very banks holding said debt, including JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America."

I do agree that Detroit is in need of an "EFM" someone needs to control the runaway city. when each council member still has 8 assistants and the city is still employing enough people for a city of 2 million something is terribly wrong .
    Some people on the council and in the city are fooling themselves .

Back to my point about the article , It would seem that there is a slight confict of interested with Mr Orr and his old firm Jones day AND JP morgan chase and Bank of America.
    I am no fan of big banks , I think they are blood sucking leeches .
    After these same SOB got bailed out by tax payers , and the whole foreclosure mess you gonna trust these SOB??? really the could give two shits about Detroit , they are sharks ! and they smell blood and circling , and they Mr. Orr and his crony [[sp) buddies at Jones day and their friendship with Bof A and JP
    Who's really looking out for the best interest of the citizens of Detroit and not the "stock holders".
    JP morgan and B of A will do just find they can write this off ,
    Sure they should get pay , but only pennies on the dollars , they are used to screwing everyone else over like this , they should know how it feels

Rick Snyder is pulling Kevyn Orr's,Lester the puppet, strings. I wonder if Snyder knew that he was going to try this when the DIA proposal was put on the ballot last year and the vote was unaminous. He is dupping the people in southeast Michigan. Have you to vote on a mileage to save DIA and then pull the whamy on us in my speculation. First, they came for the people in Benton Harbor. I did nothing. Then they came for Detroit. I did nothing. A then they came for me[[southern Michigan)

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Rick Snyder is pulling Kevyn Orr's,Lester the puppet, strings. I wonder if Snyder knew that he was going to try this when the DIA proposal was put on the ballot last year and the vote was unaminous. He is dupping the people in southeast Michigan. Have you to vote on a mileage to save DIA and then pull the whamy on us in my speculation. First, they came for the people in Benton Harbor. I did nothing. Then they came for Detroit. I did nothing. A then they came for me[[southern Michigan)
    Were they wearing long white coats?

Yep. Awesome point!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    ....First, they came for the people in Benton Harbor. I did nothing. Then they came for Detroit. I did nothing. A then they came for me [[southern Michigan)

Default Emails show Detroit emergency manager enjoys perks while taxpayers foots the bill

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/i...z/-/index.html

According to the article "The secret emails indicate private investors are being asked to pitch in money to give Orr a big bonus when the job is done. The emails indicate the mayor's people and the governor's people are all on board with expensive perks given to the emergency manager. "

I bet the investors that pitch in on Orr big bonus, will I get first dibbs at whatever assets [[that arent protected by bills moving through the legislature)he decides to sell to avoid bankruptcy?

The business community and media supported Kwame and Bing, said they were the best choices available. Well there are a lot of voting residents who no longer trust candidates supported by the business community or the media- since those are the only people benefitting by what is happening to this city.

Sorry for the angry rants, I swore to myself I would avoid the news until after election. The writing is on the wall, for people living in the neighborhoods. But I see the taxes coming out my paycheck and the my prop tax bill is coming soon. Thousands of dollars a year, not to mention what I pay to this state and for what?
    To pay for an EM salary, security, perks, so he 'do his best' to avoid bankruptcy and repeat reports that state appointed financial teams [[paid for by detroit residents) have already said 2 and 3 times before.
    So how many millions has residents who cant have adequately paid and well rested cops and firefighters paid for state appointed teams and contractors to determine we need a financial manager. Millions of dollars paid to support the financial manager and his team.
    Hell the state could have saved money since its screwing our rights anyway and just sold whatever it wants to. Instead forcing the city to pay millions for this man to come in and do it. I am very dissapointed with a greedy mayor and city council who worried more about staying on the payroll than coming up with actual solutions for this city. Yet candidates with ties to the state and big business are the ones who get the campaign funds so those are usually the ones who get elected. Most highly qualified and successful Detroiter would not want the hassle of being mayor or city council.
    I have been told by many people I grew up with who moved to safer areas with better schools and cheaper taxes, that there is no reason to live in the city. You get all the perks of a resident when you visit anyway. It does seem like the city focuses more on visitors than tax paying residents. Its so frustrating to sit with a group of people who all have opinions about what should happen to the city, but not really feeling the affects of any of these decisions.
    If I am stupid enough to pay high taxes and insurance for a city that cares more about servicing businesses and visitors, then thats my fault.
    If I wasnt so close and tied to my family who all stay in Detroit, I would have picked up and left after college.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    With tin foil hats....

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/i...z/-/index.html

According to the article "The secret emails indicate private investors are being asked to pitch in money to give Orr a big bonus when the job is done. The emails indicate the mayor's people and the governor's people are all on board with expensive perks given to the emergency manager. "

I bet the investors that pitch in on Orr big bonus, will I get first dibbs at whatever assets [[that arent protected by bills moving through the legislature)he decides to sell to avoid bankruptcy?

The business community and media supported Kwame and Bing, said they were the best choices available. Well there are a lot of voting residents who no longer trust candidates supported by the business community or the media- since those are the only people benefitting by what is happening to this city.

Sorry for the angry rants, I swore to myself I would avoid the news until after election. The writing is on the wall, for people living in the neighborhoods. But I see the taxes coming out my paycheck and the my prop tax bill is coming soon. Thousands of dollars a year, not to mention what I pay to this state and for what?
    To pay for an EM salary, security, perks, so he 'do his best' to avoid bankruptcy and repeat reports that state appointed financial teams [[paid for by detroit residents) have already said 2 and 3 times before.
    So how many millions has residents who cant have adequately paid and well rested cops and firefighters paid for state appointed teams and contractors to determine we need a financial manager. Millions of dollars paid to support the financial manager and his team.
    Hell the state could have saved money since its screwing our rights anyway and just sold whatever it wants to. Instead forcing the city to pay millions for this man to come in and do it. I am very dissapointed with a greedy mayor and city council who worried more about staying on the payroll than coming up with actual solutions for this city. Yet candidates with ties to the state and big business are the ones who get the campaign funds so those are usually the ones who get elected. Most highly qualified and successful Detroiter would not want the hassle of being mayor or city council.
    I have been told by many people I grew up with who moved to safer areas with better schools and cheaper taxes, that there is no reason to live in the city. You get all the perks of a resident when you visit anyway. It does seem like the city focuses more on visitors than tax paying residents. Its so frustrating to sit with a group of people who all have opinions about what should happen to the city, but not really feeling the affects of any of these decisions.
    If I am stupid enough to pay high taxes and insurance for a city that cares more about servicing businesses and visitors, then thats my fault.
    If I wasnt so close and tied to my family who all stay in Detroit, I would have picked up and left after college.
    "E-mail shows EFM needs to have armed guards because of multiple threats received from Detroit residents and incompetent Detroit government. In other news, the sun rose this morning....."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "E-mail shows EFM needs to have armed guards because of multiple threats received from Detroit residents and incompetent Detroit government. In other news, the sun rose this morning....."
    Looks like Wayne county and the state government may be just as incompetent... at least toward services for tax paying residents.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    No this group didn't have white coats. Don't worry, when the guys with white coats arrive I will make sure that I point you out to them

You know you're on the right track when the detractors can only come up with someone of the caliber of Onion Activist Davies to do his fish impersonations on TV.

14. Default

I just heard on WDET that Michigan State Senate majority leader Randy Richardville has introduced a bill that would prevent the artworks from the DIA being sold to pay off creditors.

I wonder if that can hold up in the courts. Even if it wouldn't, it should have the effect of delaying such an outcome or discouraging such an attempt.

The day Richardville is gone is the day Michigan would have vastly improved.

So he doesn't want Detroit going through a bankruptcy, I'm sure he doesn't want more Detroiters fleeing to his backyard due to more cuts in services and he doesn't want Detroit to sell off its assets to pay off its debts.

I must ask then, what the hell is the solution to Detroit's problems then [[near term, fuck a Detroit Works).
    Last edited by 313WX; May-31-13 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I just heard on WDET that Michigan State Senate majority leader Randy Richardville has introduced a bill that would prevent the artworks from the DIA being sold to pay off creditors.

I wonder if that can hold up in the courts. Even if it wouldn't, it should have the effect of delaying such an outcome or discouraging such an attempt.
    Guess who I'm voting for next time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

It wont have much effect at all other than PR and perhaps stopping creditors from making claims outside of a BK filing. Federal Bankruptcy law will trump whatever the State tries to do here.

I don't think that the bill would prevent any sort of sale in a bankruptcy. As I understand it, the bill requires the DIA to operate under the ethics code of a curators' body.

Problem is, selling art is not the DIA's, as an institution, or its curator's decision to make.

Seems like a bill intended to make people feel better, but that would have no actual impact.

I apologize if this is a repost or has already been discussed.

Snyder undecided on DIA bill
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nywhere-before

I had a hard time reading this... it's completely one sided and in my opinion...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...f-in-l-a-.html

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    I had a hard time reading this... it's completely one sided and in my opinion...

...with a huge dose of arrogance.

In terms of the amount of visits the DIA I gets, I think whoever runs the place needs to learn how to rotate the exhibits more often. I've been going to the DIA since I was a teenager, and at age 25, I now find myself putting off visiting because I'm not only going to see the same exact paintings I've seen before, but in the same exact configurations, too! Seriously, snails must move faster than the curators of the DIA.

The DIA, unfortunately, feels to me like a place art goes to die, not live. After visiting the Guggenheim in NYC, I realized that the layout of an art museum doesn't have to be "boring" - it can, in the right hands, aid in the learning process in profound ways. The DIA could learn much from such examples. The recent additions were, in my opinion, a complete travesty, a total waste of donated money. Rather than a bold re-envisioning of the museum's purpose, it's become a dusty, static collection of Renaissance portraits that leaves little to the imagination.

Maybe this scare will be the kick in the pants we all desperately need here in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post

Sounds like the same Colonialist arrogance and manipulation of an unjust economic system that lead to much of the great art of Africa and the Middle East being looted to be put on display in museums here and in Europe. If we can't keep our Van Gogh send it back to the Netherlands, not to LA.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5