Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
I would add to what Detroit Dave has stated by saying that, as a Canadian, the biggest difference I see is that the State level of gov't [[Michigan) does not intercede the way the Provincial gov't [[Ontario) would in Canada.
This distinction is spot on. To me [[as a Canadian living in Detroit for almost three years now) this is the biggest reason why Detroit ended up the way it did. As for the reasons for this non-intervention, I think Poobert put it best.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
What I hate about living in Detroit is the region. It is a region where many people don't really care about the city - or anything, really - as long as they're safe in their giant houses 20 miles away.
I really love the city and living in it, but I'm not so enamoured [[and sometimes appalled) with the mindset some Detroit suburbanites have. Basically the selfish let the "let the city burn" and "why should my tax money to go anything except that which benefits me" types. I always thought being part of a society included concern for the well-being of others in the society on some basic level. I think that escapes some Detroiters!