Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
Here's the explanation from the PDF of the Detroit Dept. of Public Works pamphlet in my first post.

An Explanation of the Re-numbering Plan

THE PRESENT PLAN

Under the present plan, which has been discarded by most of the larger cities of the country, there is little, if any, relation existing between the numbers on parallel streets, even in the same neighborhood. For example, “907” Woodward Avenue is at the N.W. corner of Forest, while John R. Street, but one block distant and extending in the same general direction is numbered “691” at the corner of Forest. Similar instances prevail throughout the city.

In many instances half numbers only can be assigned to entrances to flats, stores, and upstairs entrances above stores for the reason that only one full number is allowed for each twenty feet of frontage, and it frequently happens that more than one entrance occurs within this twenty foot limit. Tenants and owners alike strenuously object to the enforced use of the half numbers.

Under the new plan, both of these conditions mentioned above are avoided.

THE NEW PLAN

Under the new plan, all streets extending in the same general direction will be numbered alike at the intersection of the same cross street, and consequently, if the location of a number is known on any street, the location of a like number on any other street extending in the same direction will also be known. For example: No. 4700 Second Boulevard will be located at the corner of Forest, and every other street extending northerly and crossing Forest Avenue will likewise be numbered 4700 at the comer of Forest. Another example: Bagg Street will be numbered 1900 at the N. W. corner of Twelfth Street, and every other street extending westerly and crossing Twelfth will be numbered 1900 at the N.W. corner of Twelfth Street.

Another point: All streets extending in the same general direction, no matter where they may start, will be numbered as if they did start at a common Base Line.

A separate number is allowed for each ten feet of frontage on each side of all streets, instead of twenty feet now in effect. Thus each entrance can and will be assigned a full number.

HOW THE NEW PLAN WAS WORKED OUT

Base Lines. Streets extending North and South will begin numbering with “One Hundred” at a Base Line approximately at right angle with and at the foot of Woodward Avenue. This Base Line extends easterly through Essex Avenue, and westerly follows the line of the Wabash Railroad. The numbers will increase in both directions from this Base Line, and the few streets extending south of this Base Line in the Eastern and Western parts of the city will bear the prefix “South.”

Streets extending East and West will begin numbering with “One” at a Base Line extending through Woodward Avenue from the Detroit River to the Six Mile Road; and through John R. Street from the Six Mile Road to the City Limits. It is necessary to transfer this Base Line from Woodward Avenue to John R. Street north of the Six Mile Road for the very good reason that above the Six Mile Road there are not streets that start from or cross Woodward Avenue at right angles, and there are no streets that extend north of the Six Mile Road parallel with Woodward Avenue, while this relation does exist in regard to John R. Street, in this locality.

Streets extending from this Base Line in both directions under the same name will bear the prefix “East” or “West.”

Numbers Allowed Each Block Etc. Units of one hundred numbers are allowed each city block, as nearly as practical, but where a city block exceeds five hundred feet in length an additional unit of one hundred numbers is allowed. Unused numbers in a unit will be dropped at the end of each block. To rectify or even up the numbers at intersecting streets to correspond with the numbers on parallel streets, not only the unused numbers in a unit will be dropped, but also the unused units will be dropped at the end of blocks where necessary.

Even and Odd Numbers. Even and Odd Numbers will be assigned to streets in the same manner as under the old plan: the even numbers on the right hand side and the odd on the left, facing out from the Base Lines.

The Layout of the City. By glancing at a Detroit City Map it will be found that many streets extending in the same general direction are not exactly parallel, that many streets do not extend through with adjoining streets, and also that many city blocks vary greatly in length. On account of these conditions, to maintain the same numbers in relative blocks in streets extending in the same general direction, it becomes necessary to drop not only unused numbers in a unit, but unused units as well. This condition prevails in Cleveland and in other cities numbered on the new Detroit plan.

For example: In the down town district, it is six blocks from Woodward to Second on Fort Street West, and the number “600” is assigned to the N.W. corner of Fort Street at Second.

North of the Boulevard, due to the fact that intervening streets do not extend through, and also to the fact that Second slants toward Woodward, it is but one city block of about 565 feet from Woodward Avenue to Second. Yet to maintain the uniform number “600” at the N.W. corner of all streets crossing Second Avenue, all unused numbers and units of numbers below “600” are dropped at the end of the block and the next block from Second to Third begins with the number “600” at the N.W. corner of Second.

It is reasonable to expect that adverse criticism will be heard in regard to the new plan from time to time, but it is firmly believed that when the new plan has been in operation a short time it will merit the confidence and approval of the public, as has been the case in all the larger cities where it has been put in effect.

It should be remembered that:
1. The new numbers must not be used before January 1, 1921.
2. The old numbers must not be used after January 1, 1921.
3. The old numbers should not be removed before March 1, 1921.

DEPT. OF PUBLIC WORKS,
Joseph A. Martin
Commissioner.

Oh, I'm so sorry Brock7; I called myself looking at all of the links you posted before I asked that question. I guess that link took so long to load that I just moved on and didn't see it. Thanks for reproducing this.

This is all so fascinating; the why's as to these streets that I've seen all of my life.

All of the explanations made sense to me except this one, I didn't understand:

"It is necessary to transfer this Base Line from Woodward Avenue to John R. Street north of the Six Mile Road for the very good reason that above the Six Mile Road there are not streets that start from or cross Woodward Avenue at right angles, and there are no streets that extend north of the Six Mile Road parallel with Woodward Avenue, while this relation does exist in regard to John R. Street, in this locality."

Seems that if it's parallel with John R, they should be parallel with Woodward, at least at 6 mile and soon there after. Is this the reason that in the Northern Suburbs, streets are not called "East" east of Woodward but further east, east of John R?

Thank you kindly. This is so cool.