Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

1. Default

Are they new or are you just noticing them? In some ways I feel they are almost inconsequential. Now that just about everybody is equipped with a camera on their phone the recording of all activity is immense. The Boston marathon bombing is a good case and point. Law enforcement can now crowd source criminal investigation. Add to that the geo-locating of images and, well, it's a brave new world.

I've always said to folks that everything they do on the internet is forever. Maybe now need to amend that to say everything they do is forever.

Abuse is a valid issue. The best way to avoid abuse is disclosure. Allow citizens to see what's on the cameras. Go to the internet and see live what they are looking at -- with a 15 minute delay. You can spot abuse if its happening.

Not using a technology because abuse is possible is pretty stupid. Set reasonable rules. Create reasonable access to see if rules are being followed.

In a city like Detroit with crime as it is, I'll even take a small dose of abuse if it helps control crime. The important result is public safety and a vibrant city, done with large dose of freedom.