Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

On to the question at hand... Like most places, you'll want to watch your back. But there are a lot of great things happening in the area. Friends of Palmer Park really have been making a difference!

Last year a young lady got into with her friends on the way back to Oak Park. She got out of the car @ 6 mile & Woodward and never made it to 7 mile & Woodward. This was during the wee hours of the morning. A transgender Prostitute found her body in a vacant apartment building in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual View Post
    Last year a young lady got into with her friends on the way back to Oak Park. She got out of the car @ 6 mile & Woodward and never made it to 7 mile & Woodward. This was during the wee hours of the morning. A transgender Prostitute found her body in a vacant apartment building in the area.
    Sounds like that uninformed lady and m v b should have had more smarts than going into certain parts of Detroit at night. The more well informed folks on DYes already know how bad things can get with an understaffed Police Force...
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/9...AL01/120606001
    Last edited by Gistok; May-06-13 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sounds like that uninformed lady and m v b should have had more smarts than going into this area at night. The more well informed folks on DYes already know how bad things can get with an understaffed Police Force...
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/9...AL01/120606001
    There have been several posts regarding the "understaffed" DPD, citing figures to back-up the claim they really aren't. I'm becoming a bit skeptical of that claim. Either way, my sympathies and condolences to the family of the deceased. Oh, and her friends really SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If you think gay residents drive DOWN property values you are sorely mistaken. Sometimes ignorant bigots might move out, but that is an improvement. Hmmm.... your family moved out....
    My family move out of the Palmer Park, Sherwood Forrest, Martin Park, Pilgrim Village area not because of homosexuals and squatters, It was a plague of DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS from Highland Park and other yahoos. They are the ones who drove property values down and left other apts. into crud. Now since private investors trying to buy every last apts. in Palmer Park. They will make sure that each tenent should have good credit points before the move in. They would kept property values up.

If you think gay residents drive DOWN property values you are sorely mistaken. Sometimes ignorant bigots might move out, but that is an improvement. Hmmm.... your family moved out....
    DOTWS - forgive me but do I remember correctly that you lived - or spent some time- in PP during the early to mid 1980s? I seem to remember that you said our Mayor at the time more or less pulled the cops out of the area thereby forcing an exodus of gay men into Royal Oak and eventually Ferndale.

is my memory correct or have the mists of time rendered my memory fogalious?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybiz View Post
    You're fuckin kidding right?

I am not being misinformed about anything that goes on the Palmer Park or the ghettoes on Detroit, becuase I grew up in the ghettoes ever since I was a baby. I was taught by parents, friends and relatives what streets should I go and what street should I stay out. So far I haven't been back to Palmer Park since 1990. It has gotten bery worse since the crackheads from Highand Park took over, middle class folks move out and the yahoos move in. I wouldn't try to go in that area in middle of the night. Less you carry a gun and knife. When the sun comes out. Everyone will continue to work and play in Palmer Park like their own businesses. Most of the apartments are fine and others are squatter's den. Most of the apartments are being rehabbed to lure middle income folks, not welfare folks! Those are the people who chase out the middle class young professions out of Palmer Park since the early 1980s. Whe I was a kid grewing up near Palmer Park it was deemed quite safe. Fewer homosexuals are moving in and since Temple Israel moved to Bloomfield Hills, MI. All the Orthodox Jews quickly moved away. It was the last synagogue in Northwest Detroit. I glad that Palmer Park Apts are being rehabbed. but until the yahoos are moved out. Those Apts. will get a fewer young professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    DOTWS - forgive me but do I remember correctly that you lived - or spent some time- in PP during the early to mid 1980s? I seem to remember that you said our Mayor at the time more or less pulled the cops out of the area thereby forcing an exodus of gay men into Royal Oak and eventually Ferndale.

That was not me, but someone else. I used to live in West Village

OK Gnome... I have to call timeout... I just Googled "fogalious"... and it only gave me 1 hit....

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1024&bih=679

I think you need to ratify the situation and stop sounding like Leo Gorcey??
    Last edited by Gistok; May-06-13 at 04:42 PM.

looking at that interactive map nowhere looks especially safe. Maybe Palmer Woods. Nearly 40 shootings on McNichols since they started keeping track. Thats only taking into account when someone was injured or killed.

I visited an apartment in Palmer Park [[I've been looking frantically for short-term leases that are in moderate condition) and it seemed quite nice. Admittedly, it was during the day. Still, the apartment [[Covington Terrace) was very nice inside, the park looked pretty clean, all the other apartments on Covington looked well-tended, and there were plenty of people milling about [[walking dogs, strolling with kids). I'm a white woman and I don't think I'd struggle too much there.

The only thing I'm worried about, heh, is that I'm quite tall, so just hoping they never suspect me of being one of the "walkers". I actually DID see a transwoman walking by, and she might have been a prostitute [[though she was dressed fairly normally), but if that's the only real crime in that area, I guess I'd find that to be better than most of the areas I toured. It's quite incredible how tiny the geographical gaps between the worst and nicest neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK Gnome... I have to call timeout... I just Googled "fogalious"... and it only gave me 1 hit....

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1024&bih=679

I think you need to ratify the situation and stop sounding like Leo Gorcey??
    Looks like I invented a new word, I ain't no Dead End kid. Youzknowz dats tru.

That was not me, but someone else. I used to live in West Village
    Sorry about the misremembering.

Sorry about the misremembering.
    No problem. As I recall, it was someone who no longer lives in the area.

Great to hear that PPark is making a come back. I'd be concerned about car theft, but that might be respective to certain cars and a couple of the buildings have underground parking. I would not do much walk 'south' of Six Mile... off of Woodward, Second or Third. That are is clearly outside of much 'development' with a couple of streets sporting a burnt out or boarded up house - every other house nearly. Not walkable there....

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I'm pretty sure mbv is the person who didn't want to go to the Somerset Collection because of the crime and sketchy characters. By that standard, I agree Palmer Park is not an acceptable location.

I was in PP today a couple of the rehabs are moving along nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks for those pics! As someone who is not in the area, I am especially appreciative of anyone posting pics. Its nice to see historically accurate windows being used. That makes a HUGE difference in how the rehabbed buildings look. The building in the last pic looks so clean - do you know if they power washed it?

Thanks for the pics p69rrh51... it's amazing how much better they look in the daytime...

Nice article on the improvement of Palmer Park and the apartment district.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...park12814.aspx

I and my cousins used to live in that area 20 years ago. When gays, lesbians crackheads from Highland Park move Palmer Park Apartment complexes. Young professionals move out and property values drop and most apt. complexes left abandon fit for squatting and drug dealing. Thanks to private companies rehabbing the area. They will let those who have a decent income and good credit into their complexes, even if those complexes are subsidized. Mike Duggan [[ when he was Wayne County Prosecutor at that time) sought the plight of Palmer Park, He clean up the drug dealers and squatters and brought in private companies for restoration of those apt complexes. Yes ignorant people who don't like homosexuals will move out. But for those who trash Palmer Park will cause people to move out and property values to drop. It's all part of human nature.

The article does not say which buildings are finished and occupied, or which are the ones being completed now with people about to move in. Does anyone happen to know? Or know anyone who has moved in?

I realize that the La Vogue was the first one that they rehabbed.

Next time I'm in Detroit a drive through this area will be one of my priorities.

Looks to be the Palmer Lodge, Madrid Court and the Seville as the 3 coming online in the next month...

http://www.shelbornedevelopment.com/...-Projects.html

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Looks to be the Palmer Lodge, Madrid Court and the Seville as the 3 coming online in the next month...

http://www.shelbornedevelopment.com/...-Projects.html
    A rehabbed Palmer Lodge will have a nice impact on Woodward

Before you make the big decision to move down there, check out how much you're going to pay for automobile insurance. I'll bet you'll be in for a surprise - and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Before you make the big decision to move down there, check out how much you're going to pay for automobile insurance. I'll bet you'll be in for a surprise - and not in a good way.
    I don't think the high car insurance rates in the city are a surprise to anyone here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast