Okay, so that isn't exactly what they said.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130502/NEWS/305020159/Bench-students-built-Detroit-bus-stop-might-removed

This reminds me of when some genius in city hall told the Navin Field Grounds Crew [[which mows and maintains the old Tiger Stadium site since the city doesn't) that the site wasn't "zoned for baseball" and kept trying to kick them out of there so it could be the unmaintained, trash-strewn empty lot it was intended to be.

Or remember when the unions started terrorizing the Motor City Mower gang for cutting grass in the city? Why, if they can do it better and faster, then the folks at the union would really be sweating like pigs, wouldn't they? Well, they are now anyway with RTW, so it didn't really matter anyway.

My biggest gripe with city government isn't even the corruption. It is the absolute bureaucratic stupidity. Chicago is corrupt but can at least get things done. Officials in this city are too stupid, uncreative, and blase to actually accomplish anything. We have unbelievable problems and confront them as if it were 1975. Where are we with Belle Isle? Square one. The financial crisis? EM, despite knowing about it for years. This is what happens when you have a bunch of uneducated, provincial people working in city government, elected and as employees. Getting anything done at the City-County building is a nightmare. Getting anything substantial done in this city is impossible.

We need creative solutions like the ones these young people have started. Instead the powers that be would have them call somebody's cousin's never-answered desk phone to get a full voice mailbox. I know how this shit works. Been there, done that.

Meanwhile, your seating during your hour-long wait [[that's if it ever comes) for that dangerous, fart-smellin', rolling shitbox we affectionately call "a bus" around here is an overturned garbage can. Hey, at least you can count how many SMART buses will pass you while you wait. Assholes.

It is like the residency requirement thread. City council will talk about it, but never propose any substantial reforms. If I were mayor, I'd electrocute the lot of them - city council, department heads, horse-shoers - like the McPhailures they all are. Then I'd make them get off their fat asses and put some benches at the bus stops and clean up some of this freaking garbage.