Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "Just because we're rude to you doesn't mean we're racist! Stop it with your race-based assumptions!"
    Great 60 year old photo. You know, these days they have "talkies" called "YouTube".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqwxVxH0Ek

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    This exact same thing happened to me at a gas station in Sterling Heights. Instead of chosing to fight a battle, I just bagged my stuff and left. I'm white and the clerk was foreign, I'm assuming Arab. Never did I think it was racism but I guess after reading this it was. This is common in places with bullet proof glass. It happens in the suburbs too. Not every time someone is rude to you is it racism.
    This doesn't happen to me periodically. It happens to me at every gas station I go to, including the ones where people know me and like me.

So is it racism? Maybe sometimes it is. Maybe sometimes it isn't. What I do agree with Dawsey on is this:

[[1) Demand Excellence. But not just at the gas station. Everywhere you go.

[[2) Take your money where it is appreciated. Racism or not racism, it's up to you to spend your money where you want to.

One thing I'll add is this: It's not about you. Try not to take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great 60 year old photo. You know, these days they have "talkies" called "YouTube".
    How do you watch that stuff? Doesn't the hood get in your eyes too often?

Seriously, it is super-fucked-up that if you want to have a conversation about good old American white-on-black racism, you're going to get all these white people [[all of whom of course would NEVER be racist, or insensitive to REAL RACISM) telling you that you're whining, entitled, playing the victim, playing the race card, imputing the wrong motive, making assumptions, making generalizations, engaging in faulty reasoning, either gaslighting you or dismissing your very real concerns.

I would lump in such people with Holocaust deniers, segregation apologists and homophobes who know all about why gay sex is bad for you. Just absolutely no sense of empathy or shame.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It may the case be that he doesn't bag the purchases of white patrons either, but money from white patrons isn't keeping him in business. And you'd be hard pressed to see that type of behavior in a store that is patronized by a predominantly white customer base.
    THIS is the important point that so many here seem to be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Originally Posted by iheartthed
    It may the case be that he doesn't bag the purchases of white patrons either, but money from white patrons isn't keeping him in business. And you'd be hard pressed to see that type of behavior in a store that is patronized by a predominantly white customer base.
    THIS is the important point that so many here seem to be missing.
    Wait...what? if he doesn't bag anyone's purchases...as IHD posits... then where is the racial element?

Or are you saying that black people put up with rudeness in a way no white person would?
    Last edited by bailey; May-02-13 at 04:04 PM.

No, I'm saying that black people are often the recipients of a level of rudeness and a lack of service that white people rarely experience.

Shollin Guest

No, I'm saying that black people are often the recipients of a level of rudeness and a lack of service that white people rarely experience.
    Give me a break. This happens in white neighborhoods. It has happened to me in Sterling Heights. Everything isn't always racism.

Give me a break. This happens in white neighborhoods. It has happened to me in Sterling Heights. Everything isn't always racism.
    I'm so tired of black people whining and calling things racist when they aren't. I'm white, this happens to me all the time. Go to a convenience store, they don't bag your stuff. It's called laziness, not racism. Sounds like the author is just trying to make an issue out of nothing. Now if the guy behind the counter told him he doesn't bag things for black people [[or another word) THAT'S RACIST. I even went to a restaurant for a carryout and they actually gave me the styrofoam container, not bag. Get over it, society is lazy.

Everything isn't always racism.
    No, but some things are.

And sometimes it comes not in the guise of George Wallace or the KKK, but in an accumulation of every day slights and inconsiderateness that others don't experience to the same degree and thus may not notice. The author of the article is precisely correct that the answer to this type of treatment is not to yell and protest, but simply to take your trade and your money elsewhere. Unfortunately for many people in the city with limited shopping and transportation options, that is easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I'm so tired of black people whining and calling things racist when they aren't.
    I'm equally tired of white people who have never experienced every day racism trying to tell other people what they should think and feel.

Shollin Guest

I'm equally tired of white people who have never experienced every day racism trying to tell other people what they should think and feel.
    Everytime I shop at Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke, the majority black workforce is always rude to me. I just chalked this up to it's Walmart and they are rude. Now I see it's racism.

See... you should stop going to WalMart!

But what makes not giving someone a bag racist? I have experienced racism, only twice, but both times I laughed. Once, a person wouldn't let me work in their home because I was white [[flat out said it) and the other time I was called a wop. I laughed in their faces.

Everytime I shop at Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke, the majority black workforce is always rude to me. I just chalked this up to it's Walmart and they are rude. Now I see it's racism.
    At Target in Clinton Township my wife and I were in line, cashier was black and the customer in front of me was as well. They were chatting and then it was my turn. The cashier wouldn't even look at me or respond to me saying hi and asking how she was doing. She was just silent. Is that racism, or just stupidity? I'm not going with racism.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I see it quite often around town its seems many stores to not want to spend any extra money if they do not have to.
    I'm not sure why that surprises you.

Aside from the blip in the mid-late 90s, this region has a been in a virtual economic depression for the last 30 years. That has caused everyone around here to become penny pinchers.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    A little digression: Dawsey's mother's advice to always make sure he gets a bag is just a little out of step with the times.
    My mom taught me the same thing.

The logic behind it, besides it being good customer service, is that it lessen the chance of the storekeeper accusing you of being a thief.

I have experienced racism, only twice
    Which means that you've had a very different experience in the world than almost all African-Americans.

But what makes not giving someone a bag racist? I have experienced racism, only twice, but both times I laughed. Once, a person wouldn't let me work in their home because I was white [[flat out said it) and the other time I was called a wop. I laughed in their faces.
    Twice? Really? That must have really scarred you. I don't know how you managed to overcome it.

It's an assumption\guess to declare racism, or to declare that it's not racism.

However, the article holds true for everyone, especially black people.

If there's a racist clerk that's always rude to black people, and black people stopped shopping there, it would really cut into his bottom line, especially in Detroit where the population is mostly black.

The advice also goes beyond race lines in that if the clerk was rude to everyone, and everyone followed the advice of the article, the place would simply go out of business.

I know plenty of of non-black folks that would stop shopping somewhere if the staff treated black people, or people of any race unfairly.

There's still plenty of racist people in this world. I'm sadly related to some of them. This story of a black person getting poor treatment is more than believable. People of all races should speak with their dollars when they see racism or rude treatment.

IIIII think that what some folks perceive as a racist response, is often a response to socio-economic status. You don't have to be black to be poor or work a low rung job. Folks of all colors are treated like dirt when they are perceived to be "low class" or "low income."

Or young. Kids get treated like shit all the time because of the presumption that they have little money and are more likely to steal. This happens literally everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    If there's a racist clerk that's always rude to black people, and black people stopped shopping there, it would really cut into his bottom line, especially in Detroit where the population is mostly black.
    Except that in Detroit, said racist clerk likely has a monopoly on retail.

The free market is at work here as well.

These store owners know darn well that they don't have any real competition, thus they know they can get away with a lot of unethical/disrespectful stuff as many Detroiters have no choice BUT to patronize their stores.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-02-13 at 08:21 PM.

People should always demand good customer service and I'm glad to hear Dawsey took his business elsewhere. What bothers me is the fact that the people that actually live near this store probably put up with this treatment daily, and are most likely accustomed to it and think that it's normal.

With that being said, local writers are lazy. I understand and agree with the message behind this article but Fox2 already did the racist party store bit last week... and didn't have to resort to numerous paragraphs about anyones mother for filler.

Some people are mean to you because they are racist. Some people are mean to you because they don't like you, as a person, regardless of race. Some people are mean to you because they are just miserable SOBs. Some people are mean to you because they are just having a bad day.

Don't make assumptions about someone's motivations.

In any case, bad service is bad service. Being a jerk to a customer is unprofessional. Take your money elsewhere.

The real tragedy here is the customer buying gum and Heath Bars. At a store like this the candy is always well out of date.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast