Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I had a feeling that would be a problem.
    Yeah, no bathrooms at Palmer Park.

Sometimes the bathrooms at Belle Isle are just fine [[relatively speaking) and then other times.......

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

Sometimes the bathrooms at Belle Isle are just fine [[relatively speaking) and then other times.......
    Can't you guys call ahead and make sure they get cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Can't you guys call ahead and make sure they get cleaned?
    Dang, and I left that wide open so you could say something about Midtown.

Dang, and I left that wide open so you could say something about Midtown.
    I'm sorry, I missed my queue....

"marshamusic/Honky Tonk, Take 2......."

"It's a cessspool!"

I'm sorry, I missed my queue....

"marshamusic/Honky Tonk, Take 2......."

"It's a cessspool!"
    Right!!!!!

It's no problem. When I went to visit the log cabin, there was a bathroom right inside!
    I do not think many Dyes members would like to use the privy in the cabin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Georgia street gardens would be be a nice indoor outdoor location. Check with Cub.

Oops forgot to say their community house is sweet and the landscaping behind is very pretty.

How about Maheras Park. Reasonable amenities and a good view of the river.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/historic/di...heras_park.pdf
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Maheras%20Park.html
    http://miseagrant.umich.edu/greenway...ntry-Park.html
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Is that where the bonfires are held? Looks nice, excellent view.

Dave and I will check our Belle Isle options plus Maheras. I expect to provide details in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Dave and I will check our Belle Isle options plus Maheras. I expect to provide details in the next few days.
    Kathleen, the harbor at Maheras is run by a friend. Ask for Stephen or Susan tell them you are a friend of mine. We should be able to use the facilities there.

I'm having to back out again. Had an accident and am stuck out of state til after Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I stopped by the island today with a friend to visit the conservatory and the aquarium. We went for a ride around the island. The Detroit Grand Prix has pretty much consumed the island. Part of the track runs close to both the conservatory and the aquarium. There's no way you can get to Muse and Loiter Way. The Bicycle Pavilion, with the 2 story building, [[well, it DOES have a TALL roof on it), was pretty crowded, there was some kind of event being held in that area. The East end looked Ok, but other then the area across from DYC, I didn't see any bathrooms. Is it me, or is the Grand Prix growing in size, and taking longer to setup and tear down?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-12-13 at 05:33 AM.

Thought I posted Maharis Gentry park would be a good locale. guess I forgot to post it.

. The Bicycle Pavilion, with the 2 story building, [[well, it DOES have a TALL roof on it)
    "Marsha I will never doubt you again"

The annual christmas tree bonfire is held at Mariner's Park

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The annual christmas tree bonfire is held at Mariner's Park
    Thanx. I'll look up Maheras Park then, as I'm unfamiliar with it.

Is it me, or is the Grand Prix growing in size, and taking longer to setup and tear down?
    Dude! I think they started with the grandstands in FEBRUARY...I almost made a thread on it. But perhaps they need it for the MegaDeath weekend, or whatever that band's called...MonsterDeath, Deathallica...I get 'em all confused. Oh yeah...Metallica. right.

I still cannot believe they are not resurfacing the track...perhaps they need to keep some variables open. If you can feel bumps at 25mph with civilian suspensions...it will be torture over a few hours at speed in an Indy car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Dude! I think they started with the grandstands in FEBRUARY...I almost made a thread on it. But perhaps they need it for the MegaDeath weekend, or whatever that band's called...MonsterDeath, Deathallica...I get 'em all confused. Oh yeah...Metallica. right.

I still cannot believe they are not resurfacing the track...perhaps they need to keep some variables open. If you can feel bumps at 25mph with civilian suspensions...it will be torture over a few hours at speed in an Indy car.
    I couldn't BELIEVE, driving around the track Saturday, the condition it was in! Patches, tar strips, cracks, concrete-to-asphalt-to-concrete again, etc. Are we sure they're not racing Baja trucks instead? As far as the setup, yeah it irks me that people don't have full use of the island, and your view is obstructed by GM barriers, fences, and grand stands for 5 months out of the year. It was like driving around a giant circus tent. It wasn't until we were @ the East end of the island that it began looking normal again. Really looking forward to the Metal licka' concert. As a side note: the turnout @ the Conservatory and Aquarium were really good. Had to drive around the parking lot to find a spot.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-13-13 at 08:18 AM.

Maybe they figure they'd rather face the demon they know rather than have a mass surface failure from all those vehicles with functioning ground effect aerodynamics vacuuming it up at >150mph. I'm not sure asphault can be applied properly when the weather is cold, and this winter surely doesn't seem to want to quit.

Old Providence Hospital...Thanksgiving morning, 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Maybe they figure they'd rather face the demon they know rather than have a mass surface failure from all those vehicles with functioning ground effect aerodynamics vacuuming it up at >150mph. I'm not sure asphault can be applied properly when the weather is cold, and this winter surely doesn't seem to want to quit.

Old Providence Hospital...Thanksgiving morning, 1963.
    Funny! WAY older. No, you can't apply asphalt in the cold, and it also needs a day or two to cure properly after application. There's also a restriction on seasons the asphalt trucks can run because of their weight and cracking surface roads. That might be the reason why Penske doesn't have it done. It would tie up access to the island even longer. And the expense.

"Marsha I will never doubt you again"
    My sympathies to Mr. Music...... I'm not ready to concede on this one yet. I might have been off on the number of stories, [[though I don't know...... I but there is stand up, walk-around, storage up there), but there is more going on inside that building then just "bathrooms". I would agree to a draw.

He still has a few weeks...just a bit less time than I now have to prepare for my next marathon. Ugh.

The surface is horrid. Really super duper sucky. I can not imagine they could run the race under such conditions.

so, let's say Penkse is a top-flight, first-class fellow. Let us assume he is going to resurface the track. I see a future problem.

the concrete barriers are all installed. If they resurface right to the edge of the barriers, when they remove those barriers it will leave a good inch or so height difference between the curb and 3 foot width of the barrier.

that height difference will be a real bear for joggers and bike riders.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast