Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The boombox, unfortunately, succumbed to one of the oldest of Detroit's scourges. The "take what you want when you want it, from someone who appears to deserve to be taken from, because they have stuff you want" mentality of the ghetto thug punks who hang with the son of one of my friends.

We may have other options...I'll get to work on it. Right after I get through this week. Got a couple of shows y'all should experience over at CAID...

...."take what you want when you want it, from someone who appears to deserve to be taken from, because they have stuff you want"

I like how you put that G. That about sums up the world view of those who steal and take the unearned, fully justifying their actions!

ok, now I am embarrassed. I started a thread on connections before I saw this thread. Time , date location. We will be there.

I'm a traditionalist....so I propose that we adhere to our picnic tradition!!!

Memorial Day Sunday, May 26, 12 noon on Belle Isle.

Our gathering place is at Muse and Loiter Way, just north of the Flynn Skating Pavilion. There is plenty of parking and a nearby restroom.

You can pretty clearly see Muse and Loiter Way on this map of the island:
    http://www.eyeonmichigan.com/guides/...le_detroit.pdf

As usual, Dave and I will make sure we've got tableclothes, plates, napkins, cups, plasticware, condiments, and starter beverages and munchies. Plus chairs, tables, canopy, and a grill. We can't transport our giant gas grill this time, so we might need a second grill, if anyone can bring one.

I'll review the posts to compile a list of who's bringing what so far, so that we can try to have a variety of foods.

Once again, please do let us know that you are interested in attending so that we have an approximate headcount for supplies.

And if you have any opinions, objections, suggestions, etc., please voice them. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I'm a traditionalist....so I propose that we adhere to our picnic tradition!!!

Memorial Day Sunday, May 26, 12 noon on Belle Isle.

Our gathering place is at Muse and Loiter Way, just north of the Flynn Skating Pavilion. There is plenty of parking and a nearby restroom.

You can pretty clearly see Muse and Loiter Way on this map of the island:

As usual, Dave and I will make sure we've got tableclothes, plates, napkins, cups, plasticware, condiments, and starter beverages and munchies. Plus chairs, tables, canopy, and a grill. We can't transport our giant gas grill this time, so we might need a second grill, if anyone can bring one.

I'll review the posts to compile a list of who's bringing what so far, so that we can try to have a variety of foods.

Once again, please do let us know that you are interested in attending so that we have an approximate headcount for supplies.

And if you have any opinions, objections, suggestions, etc., please voice them. Thank you!!
    Is there any Grand Prix paraphernalia there now, and do you think it'll be gone in a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is there any Grand Prix paraphernalia there now, and do you think it'll be gone in a week?
    The island is being prepped for the Grand Prix, which takes place the weekend after our picnic. Most of the roads are open at this point.

Our picnic site is within the race route, but not along the route itself.

I will call the Grand Prix office to see what I can find out about what to expect on Memorial Day weekend. Given the holiday weekend, which brings out an island full of picnickers and family reunions and church gatherings, I expect that most picnic areas will still be open.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The island is being prepped for the Grand Prix, which takes place the weekend after our picnic. Most of the roads are open at this point.

Our picnic site is within the race route, but not along the route itself.

I will call the Grand Prix office to see what I can find out about what to expect on Memorial Day weekend. Given the holiday weekend, which brings out an island full of picnickers and family reunions and church gatherings, I expect that most picnic areas will still be open.
    I'll try to stop by and take a few photos of that area.

I have always enjoyed the picnics I have attended. Now we live so close it would almost be a sin to not be there

Kathleen, Please gives us the time, date and place and we will come to the Detroityes picnic.

Working on it....

I did call the Grand Prix office today and confirmed that our usual picnic site will not be available on Memorial Day Sunday since it falls within the race course.

Keep watching for further information....

Looks like Hipster Beach may get the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The boombox, unfortunately, succumbed to one of the oldest of Detroit's scourges. The "take what you want when you want it, from someone who appears to deserve to be taken from, because they have stuff you want" mentality of the ghetto thug punks who hang with the son of one of my friends.

We may have other options...I'll get to work on it. Right after I get through this week. Got a couple of shows y'all should experience over at CAID...

I'm sorry to hear that John, but it was worth my asking so I could enjoy your celtic stylization in the first paragraph not unlike the curlicues in the Book of Kells.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Looks like Hipster Beach may get the nod.
    Only if there's a nearby bathroom....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Only if there's a nearby bathroom....
    How about Fort Wayne? [[not IN)

Don't know if you're looking for suggestions, but there is a large picnic spot that is just around the bend of the big athletic fields, near the handball courts.

It's right across from lavatories and next to the bike/hiking path through the woods. It's become the location of my annual family picnic, as it's away from the crowds, there's trees and a couple of tables. It's a quick bike ride or longer walk away from the flower-house and aquarium area.

It's easy to find - "go round the island, when you get to the athletic fields, make a left at the monument, drive down a ways and you're there."

It is, however, inland and not right near water. Also, I don't know if the race course effects this area.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Don't know if you're looking for suggestions, but there is a large picnic spot that is just around the bend of the big athletic fields, near the handball courts.

It's right across from lavatories and next to the bike/hiking path through the woods. It's become the location of my annual family picnic, as it's away from the crowds, there's trees and a couple of tables. It's a quick bike ride or longer walk away from the flower-house and aquarium area.

It's easy to find - "go round the island, when you get to the athletic fields, make a left at the monument, drive down a ways and you're there."

It is, however, inland and not right near water. Also, I don't know if the race course effects this area.
    You're talking about where the 3 story house structure is? No the race course doesn't reach out that far.

Three story structure? Do you mean the bathrooms? Not sure if that is three stories. The bathroom building that I'm talking about is across from this picnic area, and on the side of the road of the athletic field. There's not another building there, that I recall.

Three story structure? Do you mean the bathrooms? Not sure if that is three stories. The bathroom building that I'm talking about is across from this picnic area, and on the side of the road of the athletic field. There's not another building there, that I recall.
    My apaologies, Maybe I'm thinking of another area. There's sort of a "Victorian" looking building just East of the baseball diamonds off of the Strand. I believe it's the "R" on Vista?

Oh yeah, that's it. I never thought of it being three stories, but it is a Victorian building that is now lavatories [[there was also a cafe type place in there last couple of years).

This area I'm talking about is nice, because there's good parking and it's off the beaten path. The grass can be a little scrubby there, by the tables, but it's a quiet area, very nice when there's a nice breeze through the trees.

Oh yeah, that's it. I never thought of it being three stories, but it is a Victorian building that is now lavatories [[there was also a cafe type place in there last couple of years).

This area I'm talking about is nice, because there's good parking and it's off the beaten path. The grass can be a little scrubby there, by the tables, but it's a quiet area, very nice when there's a nice breeze through the trees.
    I agree with you, but I'm not involved in the planning, so I have nothing to say about this. For once, I'm keeping quiet.....

I still vote for a spot between these two Detroit landmarks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The Bicycle Pavilion designed by Edward Schilling in 1898
    Yep, that's it. Nice old building. Bathrooms may or may not be clean, that day, or depending on time of day, as with all of them on Belle Isle.

I still vote for a spot between these two Detroit landmarks.
    I don't think Palmer Park has working bathrooms. I was there last summer for Log Cabin day and they brought in porta johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I don't think Palmer Park has working bathrooms. I was there last summer for Log Cabin day and they brought in porta johns.
    I had a feeling that would be a problem.

I had a feeling that would be a problem.
    It's no problem. When I went to visit the log cabin, there was a bathroom right inside!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast