Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I would hazard a guess that if golf is experiencing any growth, it's among minorities. So, Bham, how about we turn those golf courses in your backyard into graveyards?
    I don't play golf, and don't think proximity to a cemetery would be a negative for my property values. And I'm not endorsing the switch to cemetery; I'm just saying that golf popularity is cratering among younger folks. This isn't my opinion; the golfing industry is very worried about the decline in interest among the under-40 set. I can tell you that even wealthy suburban country clubs and golf clubs are generally in deep trouble.

I can see the scrappers turning into grave robbers prowling the golf course now

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I can see the scrappers turning into grave robbers prowling the golf course now
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not... but most modern cemetaries don't have anything worth stealing. It's the old time cemetaries with metalwork [[such as mausoleum doors/grates/windows) that would get scrappers interest. Modern cemetaries are more likely to have vandals desecrating stone gravemarkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not... but most modern cemetaries don't have anything worth stealing. It's the old time cemetaries with metalwork [[such as mausoleum doors/grates/windows) that would get scrappers interest. Modern cemetaries are more likely to have vandals desecrating stone gravemarkers.
    Modern cemeteries do not have stone grave markers. They require flat brass headstones so they can mow the whole area with riding mowers. Brass headstones and attached brass flower vases do get stolen for scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by ThosWolfe View Post
    Modern cemeteries do not have stone grave markers. They require flat brass headstones so they can mow the whole area with riding mowers. Brass headstones and attached brass flower vases do get stolen for scrap.
    Sorry but Google begs to differ with you!! All you have to do is Google "headstones"... and you get over a dozen different companies that still make Granite headstones. If this cemetary is foolish enough to use require metal headstones, as opposed to the MANY stone versions still available on the open market... then they are fools...

Quote Originally Posted by ThosWolfe View Post
    A few years back, plans were announced to sell Rackham Golf Course by the zoo. Public outcry seemed to put a stop to that. Meanwhile, at the same time, a deal was cut to sell Rogell to Greater Grace. There was no publicity until the deal was done. The Rackham plan was probably a ruse to hide what was happening with Rogell. $2.1 million for 120 acres of raw land! That's only $17,500 per acre.
    The Rackham controversy was over the deed restriction in the original grant to the city for the course. The deed [[similar to the Eliza Howell Park issue) stated the land would revert to the Rackham descendants should the property not be maintained and used as a public golf course. The interest [[read: Money) was in developing the property, not maintaining a golf course.

I don't think Rogell had similar restrictions as it was a golf club before it became city owned. [[IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The Rackham controversy was over the deed restriction in the original grant to the city for the course. The deed [[similar to the Eliza Howell Park issue) stated the land would revert to the Rackham descendants should the property not be maintained and used as a public golf course. The interest [[read: Money) was in developing the property, not maintaining a golf course.

I don't think Rogell had similar restrictions as it was a golf club before it became city owned. [[IIRC)

Rogell is mostly a floodplain. This would not lend itself to be a prime piece of land for development no matter where it is located. It is best suited for a golf course. Using it for a cemetary could be problematic as say a person buys a riverfront lot. The day they go to bury them, it is underwater!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Rogell is mostly a floodplain. This would not lend itself to be a prime piece of land for development no matter where it is located. It is best suited for a golf course. Using it for a cemetary could be problematic as say a person buys a riverfront lot. The day they go to bury them, it is underwater!
    Burial @ sea?

.... another good reason to avoid Brass.... water!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2