Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;380343]
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Prove your accusation.
    I'm expected to prove people's feelings based upon conversations? Gimme a break. Prove that my accusation is false.

Now, as a side point, I am not saying this is for all small store owners/gas station owners but it applies to many.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    As long as people in Detroit patronize businesses owned and operated by racist jerks the business owners will be laughing all the way to the bank. You have a choice where you can spend your money.
    FOOD DESERT :
    I REALLY dislike going to these "party" stores, "super market" or most "gas stations" in the City limits of Detroit . I try not to frequent these place and NO, no one is making me shop at these place , but every once in a while I will have to stop in to get gas or pick up something .
    They don't keep their parking lots clean
    It bothers me they allow people to "hang" out front and allow people to buy "loosey".
    The prices are much higher than at a typical store.

A friend of mine had the funniest/sad thing on her facebook page , it was a list of things posted on the front door of a "party store",a list of what was not allowed . It was sad/funny, I'll try to find it and post it.

These stores are often dirty and carry nothing of nutritional value. they offer only what people in the area can afford to buy and too often these people don't demand any better so these "stores" will sell the least quality of goods .

I find it demeaning to people in the area to have to shop at these "stores", but maybe I'm missing something , maybe it goes both ways ? maybe its so bad in these areas this is all that's left ? I just feel it's getting worse and worse.

Name:  561353_4995114029849_1295935214_n.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  82.2 KB

I find it sad that two generations of Detroiter's think it's normal to speak to a cashier through bullet proof glass . I know it's a sign of the times in many areas and at many banks but ,until we demand better as a community this is what we are stuck with ?

It's a race to the bottom for food and services in these "stores".

I feel many of these store owners feel like they are doing the people in these areas a "favor" because often no other stores will step , so the people in these area are stuck in these "food desert"

We do have a choice where we spend our money I prefer not to spend mine in these stores .

[QUOTE=jt1;380346]
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I'm expected to prove people's feelings based upon conversations? Gimme a break. Prove that my accusation is false.

Now, as a side point, I am not saying this is for all small store owners/gas station owners but it applies to many.
    Respect is a give and take relationship. To say "someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what", is painting the scene with a very broad brush. I don't condone racial slurs or the tex'in there of in the least bit, but work behind the plexiglass for a few weeks and maybe your opinion will change.

I take it you are assuming I haven't worked on the service side in the city. You are incorrect. Now on the flip side, have you had the opportunity to be on the other side of the glass were you were treated like a criminal or lesser person for the simple color of your skin or clothes you've been wearing?

It goes both ways. The problem is that you are giving the people on the other side of the glass a pass when, just as often as not, they are treating their customers like criminals the second they walk in the door.

One I liked was: "Our credit manager is Helen Waite. If you want credit, go to Helen Waite."

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    One I liked was: "Our credit manager is Helen Waite. If you want credit, go to Helen Waite."
    Yep, that just oozes of respect for your customers. They may as well put up a sign that says, "Give us your money then F&^k off"

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    We won't start our own businesses, and those here we won't patron.
    Brizee: That is one of the unfortunate casualties of the civil rights movement. In the days of Jim Crow in the south and residential segregation and job discrimination in the north, the most ambitious black men and women sought to own their own business and be their own boss. There were man small black businesses. During the sixties and seventies civil rights era, there was a cultural shift away from that ambition and the Chaldeans/Koreans/Chinese filled the niches of running small businesses in the black community.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    This doesn't surprise me one bit, these store owners have always felt contempt and disdain for the people that keep them in business. I've been around and had conversations with a number of middle eastern store owners who have let their guard down and felt they could speak freely to me about my own people and boy let me tell you, they barely tolerate us, if it weren't for us patronizing their business they wouldn't deal with us, their opinion of the very people they serve is so low that if it weren't for the fact they recognize the power of the black dollar they wouldn't even venture into the neighborhoods where their businesses are located. The flip side of this is that we blacks don't like them either, most of the time they are the only store that is close by, so we frequent their business. There is this little dance that takes place, we pretend to like them and they pretend they like us and all the while we really can't stand each other but we its accepted as a necessary evil.
    Sad but true , I believe this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Brizee: That is one of the unfortunate casualties of the civil rights movement. In the days of Jim Crow in the south and residential segregation and job discrimination in the north, the most ambitious black men and women sought to own their own business and be their own boss. There were man small black businesses. During the sixties and seventies civil rights era, there was a cultural shift away from that ambition and the Chaldeans/Koreans/Chinese filled the niches of running small businesses in the black community.
    Well, that and the supplier network that squeezed out a number of black businesses. When the suppliers stop delivering to you because you're not chaldean then it makes it a little difficult to maintain your business.

I appreciate the kind gestures Jt1 & Downtown Lady. I am not trying to defend these guys one bit and I should not feel as though to share blame or something. As I am sure a lot of forumers here have been to these stores and have seen blacks say racial slurs to employees of the store for whatever reason, be it small or whatever. When in fact ethnic slurs have no place anywhere and seems to be the go to for a lot of people in the city to use when proven wrong or whatever. I cannot even count how many times I've kindly talked to a customer regarding a issue and out of nowhere I'm standing there being quiet while ethnic slurs are said to my face and being accused of being racist. Even my black friends at school ask me how I deal with animosity in Detroit.

I think thats the main reason why I chose to go to UM, people here in are friendly no matter the background and encourage learning through diversity. Hermod is correct about the history of black entrepreneurship, and the niches being filled which has become unfortunate. Detroit especially seems to be the place where what you are is the first maybe only fact to determining if your right or wrong. Prolly the worst logic to ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbound View Post
    I appreciate the kind gestures Jt1 & Downtown Lady. I am not trying to defend these guys one bit and I should not feel as though to share blame or something. As I am sure a lot of forumers here have been to these stores and have seen blacks say racial slurs to employees of the store for whatever reason, be it small or whatever. When in fact ethnic slurs have no place anywhere and seems to be the go to for a lot of people in the city to use when proven wrong or whatever. I cannot even count how many times I've kindly talked to a customer regarding a issue and out of nowhere I'm standing there being quiet while ethnic slurs are said to my face and being accused of being racist. Even my black friends at school ask me how I deal with animosity in Detroit.

I think thats the main reason why I chose to go to UM, people here in are friendly no matter the background and encourage learning through diversity. Hermod is correct about the history of black entrepreneurship, and the niches being filled which has become unfortunate. Detroit especially seems to be the place where what you are is the first maybe only fact to determining if your right or wrong. Prolly the worst logic to ever.
    Umbound, I'm sorry to hear that, but sadly not surprise to hear that.
    It doesn't excuses anyone for using racial slurs and treating each other with respect . It's a sad indication of where we are as a city and community .
    I believe it treating each other with respect , it goes a long way.
    I ,and you ,can only be responsible for how we treat each other .
    As a community and city we should respect each other

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Well, that and the supplier network that squeezed out a number of black businesses. When the suppliers stop delivering to you because you're not chaldean then it makes it a little difficult to maintain your business.
    I think urban renewal merits a mention here too. It wasn't like black folks just shut down their businesses one day and went home, a lot of them were condemned and replaced by expressway ditches and housing projects. Even people who had the startup capital to give it another shot somewhere else might have thought twice about doing so given the government's apparent dedication to the wholesale eradication of predominantly-black business districts as a policy objective.

Stereotypes don't form out of thin air. These are they guys buying thier junk food stock from Sam's/Costco at a discount to sell back to the suckers in the hood at full price plus. Oh and not to mention they purchased it using bridge cards they payed the suckers pennies on the dollar for back at their "store". Seen guys loading a cube truck full of crap just a few weeks back. Probably spreading the purchases out around town as to not arouse any suspicion while using the cards as payment.

Anyoldways, I wouldnt want to be the chap behind the counter at this store tomorrow A.M.; just sayin'.

Nobody noticed the horrible writing?

People who think racism is wrong and disgraceful will be disgusted and sickened by this.
    It's almost like a disclaimer. Sadly, there is a strong contingent in this area who do not think racism is wrong or disgraceful, and who will not be disgusted or sickened.

Those stores can be the grim of the grim to go into. That one 'We don't support the cause...', 'buy a drink instead' hand-written sign was a trip without luggage. I really try to avoid stores that must post such pronouncements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2