Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Wow, that is a really sh*tty thing to say.

That's basically implying that someone has control over what everyone else in the country/state/region is doing, and if you fail to satisfactorily control them, it's your fault.
    I'm black and spent my entire life in Detroit.

I just want us to do better.

When I see we treat each other/our community like absolute shit but go out of our way to clean up our act for others, it drives me nuts.

We won't start our own businesses, and those here we won't patron.

When business does get created it's ghetto bullshit and customers get treated like dirt. Or the customers act like dirt.

What is it Detroiters annually spend in the suburbs 1.3 billion or 130 million? That is tremendous power but we refuse to use it it. We won't vote except with the threat of an EFM over our heads. There is no reason we should have to beg anyone for sevice, products, or jobs.

I had a conversation with my father recently. He stated if every grocery store in the state adopted a no black customers rule, Detroit would starve in a week.

I'm tirerd of us standing with hat in hand wishing for others to treat us with respect. Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

Yes this country did reprehensible things to us, so let's stop giving people the opportunity to take advantage of us.

PS. Don't take this to mean I have animosity with any one race of people.

[QUOTE=brizee;380323]

Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

I agree with what you say except the above. Respect is earned, we try to demand it, and you cant demand that some respect you. you can demand that they let you in there store or live on there block, but you cant demand respect, it is earned, and untill we start acting like we give a damn, nobody is going to give a damn about us.

[QUOTE=jaytheory;380340]
    Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

I agree with what you say except the above. Respect is earned, we try to demand it, and you cant demand that some respect you. you can demand that they let you in there store or live on there block, but you cant demand respect, it is earned, and untill we start acting like we give a damn, nobody is going to give a damn about us.
    How can you earn respect from someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what?

[QUOTE=jt1;380342]
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post

How can you earn respect from someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what?
    Prove your accusation.

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;380343]
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Prove your accusation.
    I'm expected to prove people's feelings based upon conversations? Gimme a break. Prove that my accusation is false.

Now, as a side point, I am not saying this is for all small store owners/gas station owners but it applies to many.

[QUOTE=jt1;380346]
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I'm expected to prove people's feelings based upon conversations? Gimme a break. Prove that my accusation is false.

Now, as a side point, I am not saying this is for all small store owners/gas station owners but it applies to many.
    Respect is a give and take relationship. To say "someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what", is painting the scene with a very broad brush. I don't condone racial slurs or the tex'in there of in the least bit, but work behind the plexiglass for a few weeks and maybe your opinion will change.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    We won't start our own businesses, and those here we won't patron.
    Brizee: That is one of the unfortunate casualties of the civil rights movement. In the days of Jim Crow in the south and residential segregation and job discrimination in the north, the most ambitious black men and women sought to own their own business and be their own boss. There were man small black businesses. During the sixties and seventies civil rights era, there was a cultural shift away from that ambition and the Chaldeans/Koreans/Chinese filled the niches of running small businesses in the black community.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Brizee: That is one of the unfortunate casualties of the civil rights movement. In the days of Jim Crow in the south and residential segregation and job discrimination in the north, the most ambitious black men and women sought to own their own business and be their own boss. There were man small black businesses. During the sixties and seventies civil rights era, there was a cultural shift away from that ambition and the Chaldeans/Koreans/Chinese filled the niches of running small businesses in the black community.
    Well, that and the supplier network that squeezed out a number of black businesses. When the suppliers stop delivering to you because you're not chaldean then it makes it a little difficult to maintain your business.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Well, that and the supplier network that squeezed out a number of black businesses. When the suppliers stop delivering to you because you're not chaldean then it makes it a little difficult to maintain your business.
    I think urban renewal merits a mention here too. It wasn't like black folks just shut down their businesses one day and went home, a lot of them were condemned and replaced by expressway ditches and housing projects. Even people who had the startup capital to give it another shot somewhere else might have thought twice about doing so given the government's apparent dedication to the wholesale eradication of predominantly-black business districts as a policy objective.