Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Strange hours. Who are they catering to with this schedule? Reubens taste more delicious after 3 PM.
    Well, my reuben tasted just fine at 12:30 this afternoon. Delicious as always. This thread inspired me to go back to Hygrades, which I haven't been to in a while. Be forewarned, the reuben was $9.50 or so, along with a pickle. A bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

They used to subsist off of trade from the nearby industrial areas, particularly Cadillac over at Clark St. As those industries have died off or moved away, and the surrounding neighborhood has more or less disappeared, I'm sure it has become harder and harder to keep the restaurant profitable and operating. Even the commuter trade isn't what it once was, as the neighborhoods further out Michigan and the west side have also declined and begun emptying out.
    Sounds like a great place, but, as they say, the times they are a'changin'

Most of us who even get lunches these days get a half hour to an hour, and God knows if we'll get a chance to take them. With the main employment center being downtown now, maybe if they shifted to dinner? Being a foodie these days is en vogue.

I also don't eat meat, so while I'd love to go there, I don't think there are any sandwiches I can get.

Hell, look at Caucus Club. Great place, prime location, but went the way of the Buffalo. Gotta keep up with the times, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    Well, my reuben tasted just fine at 12:30 this afternoon. Delicious as always. This thread inspired me to go back to Hygrades, which I haven't been to in a while. Be forewarned, the reuben was $9.50 or so, along with a pickle. A bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it.
    Very nice. Will definitely be stopping by for a reuben. I was kidding about the time. But, as poobert points out, perhaps a shift in hours will drum up some more business. It would be great to be able to stop by and grab a sandwich on the way home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    Be forewarned, the reuben was $9.50 or so, along with a pickle.
    I don't mind spending the money, but I'm not sure if I want to give them a pickle too.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor
    http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

It's a must-visit eatery!!
    Been there a couple times but the place can't beat Star Deli in Southfield. That is a one serious deli.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't mind spending the money, but I'm not sure if I want to give them a pickle too.......

lolololololololololololol!

What's next Vickie's, to bad all those people walking around 14th and Michigan, looking loss, drive a few blocks west, plenty of parking, can't smell the saughter house no more. wonderful breakfast. dont' forget, get your ham sandwich next door.

Please watch the video from a live interview with the owner Stu who tells it best on the demise of the area in Detroit around his location. I'm a regular driving once per month from downriver to enjoy the Very Best Reuben I've ever eaten,, the place is a must try for all around the metro Detroit area, as this is the Oldest full service Deli in Detroit proper,,,that means located in the city of Detroit. They have great breakfast,soups and many other super sandwich's. So here's the link. ENJOY http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...O01/310040051/

So that's what "Detroit proper' means.
    Is there a "downriver proper?" Oh wait, no, I guess that would be-- no, time out, cancel, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's a Zingerman's?
    Pretentious good food at big city prices.

Never been to Hygrades. Will be there soon. See you there.

Don't forget to try the cole slaw.. The absolute best I have ever tasted.

Is it better than the slaw at the Polish Yacht Club?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hygrade is several blocks away from the train station.

They are a lunch and breakfast spot, hence the hours. Not a lot of dinner business on that stretch of Michigan.

Hygrade's Deli has the best soups and Reuben sandwiches in Detroit and the service is extra efficient! This restaurant is a hidden gem and worth the drive to Detroit and Michigan Ave. Move over Slows BBQ!

https://www.myworldnews.com/Channel/...s-hygrade-deli

$9.50 for a sandwich.....pass, I'll take a steak for that kind of dough!

If you're going to pay Carnegie Deli prices, eat at the Carnegie! There's even a good music venue around the corner! I know it's an extravagant trip just for pastrami, but there's everything else that you can also get in NY, including a fair yardstick for evaluating the aspirations [[pretensions?) of our beloved hometown's institutions. I was once lunching at the Carnegie when a French couple sat down and asked me about the menu - me a California WASP explaining NY deli food to Frenchmen! Another time, a Jewish family from Alabama, that great redoubt of kreplach and kugels, went practically nuts over the menu and ordered just about everything on it! What we really want in our hometown are restaurants like both the Carnegie and Hygrades that have that unmistakable sense of place - the original Coney Islands and the Anchor Bar also do - and make natives and visitors alike think "This is Detroit".
    Last edited by A2Mike; February-15-14 at 05:13 PM.

I can remember when Hygrades was across the street. It was 24/7 then, and their hot coffee saved me many a frigid night when walking beats 9 & 10 [[Western Market and Michigan from 18th to the Boulevard). And there was a waitress there 50 years ago.....sigh.....wonder what happened to her?

Pardon my ignorance but is Hygrade Deli affiliated with the Hygrade 'hot dogs' sold in supermarkets?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    LOL@9.50 steak

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but is Hygrade Deli affiliated with the Hygrade 'hot dogs' sold in supermarkets?
    They originally just took the name due to the proximity of the Hygrade rendering plant that was just down the street a few blocks. I guess today they'd probably face a lawsuit for being so brash, but Hygrade's rendering plant never complained. A rendering plant is where they turn non-meat animal remains into soap and such. On a humid evening, you could smell it two miles away. Not necessarily an unpleasant smell, but quite distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    They originally just took the name due to the proximity of the Hygrade rendering plant that was just down the street a few blocks. I guess today they'd probably face a lawsuit for being so brash, but Hygrade's rendering plant never complained. A rendering plant is where they turn non-meat animal remains into soap and such. On a humid evening, you could smell it two miles away. Not necessarily an unpleasant smell, but quite distinctive.
    Thank you so much Ray for explaining to me.
    I mean no offense but I am very grateful Hygrade Deli doesn't produce those hot dogs I see on store shelves lol.
    Thanks again Ray! I appreciate your time.

GUSHI Guest

FYI They got a groupon going right now
    $9.50 for a sandwich.....pass, I'll take a steak for thatkind of dough!

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    FYI They got a groupon going right now
    Time for the DetroitYES! luncheon?

How would anyone ignore a place that has been in business for 36 years and not even try it? I am sure that Applebees down the block that has been open for 5 years and that serves $9.50 horse meat is much better.

Ponderosa price [[are they still in business?)... though I sorta liked them albeit on the low rent side. I'm not a steak connoisseur though.

One day I'll have to do a bit better......

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    LOL@9.50 steak
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-14 at 05:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast