Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

That Society of Arts and Crafts building on Watson was a real loss. My mother studied there when she was young, and fought with some people to try to save the building. However, a total lack of interest from both CCS and Pewabic [[both of whom would presumably have some historic interest in it) doomed the project form the start. Even in its state of advanced decay though, before it burned, you could see from the inside that it had been a lovely building.

The Bemb florist building was on Bates between Randolph and Farmer and was run by well known Detroit florist Al Pochelon. He was one of the founders of what became FTD, and later replaced the structure shown above with the Pochelon Building to house his business, and then built the adjacent 1000 Farmer [[Sachs Waldman) building [[with greenhouses on top), which was the first offices of FTD. Those buildings were recently bought by agents of Dan Gilbert and are presumably doomed along with the adjacent parking garage.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-24-13 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I love that FB album, too!

Al, you made me think of the time that I spent in the houses of Boston-Edison as a kid; my some of my parents' best friends lived in that neighborhood of spectacular homes, so I was in and out of - or spending the night at - many of them.

But I was never over in Indian Village until I was near grown [[and I actually lived in a huge house on Atkinson and second, back in the day).

I wonder, does p69rrh51 have any photos of Highland Park homes/buildings?
    There are a couple buildings located in HP in my albums including a bungalow designed by Albert Kahn and a couple Marcus Burrowes designs. In the Butterfield & Butterfield album is HP Hgh School as well as 701 West Boston Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    There are a couple buildings located in HP in my albums including a bungalow designed by Albert Kahn and a couple Marcus Burrowes designs. In the Butterfield & Butterfield album is HP Hgh School as well as 701 West Boston Boulevard.
    Yes, I looked at the HP house, on Moss st. The homes there, on Moss, Eason and Puritan are mostly still beautiful. Also, on the other end of HP [[where I grew up) Connecticut, California, Rhode Island, McClean and Farrand Park are the street with the amazing homes, mostly between Woodward and Brush.

Needless to say, the once gorgeuous HP High School is my alma mater.

p69rrh51, I saw your pic of the house on Burns, reminded me of this home on Iroquois; I took pics at a yard sale last summer. Hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3813911507803.2140074.1278026596&type=1&l=4 c3124abc8

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Yes, I looked at the HP house, on Moss st. The homes there, on Moss, Eason and Puritan are mostly still beautiful. Also, on the other end of HP [[where I grew up) Connecticut, California, Rhode Island, McClean and Farrand Park are the street with the amazing homes, mostly between Woodward and Brush.

Needless to say, the once gorgeuous HP High School is my alma mater.
    I know all about the Highland Heights Historic District just have not found any info on the architects who worked in that area.

I know all about the Highland Heights Historic District just have not found any info on the architects who worked in that area.
    I was wondering, how do you find out who all of the architects are?

One of the many avenues you have already been looking at. Architectural journals are one of the best sources of information. Also final reports for historic districts. The Bible-Buildings of Detroit and other books written on Detroit Architects. Information I have accumulated over the years. Online sources, detroit1701.org comes to mind. Those are just a few of the tools I use for research.

One of the many avenues you have already been looking at. Architectural journals are one of the best sources of information. Also final reports for historic districts. The Bible-Buildings of Detroit and other books written on Detroit Architects. Information I have accumulated over the years. Online sources, detroit1701.org comes to mind. Those are just a few of the tools I use for research.

Wow, I am blown away. Did you post these on your FB as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wow, I am blown away. Did you post these on your FB as well?
    I post all architectural journal images with the corresponding current image.

A few images.
    Attached Images Attached Images                        

More images

More Images 2

More images 3

More images 4

I always wondered about the "Judge Brown" house in the Inland Group 8 section...I can't read the architect's name. Where was this home?

From Michigan Architect and Engineer circa 1919

M an E group 2

M and A group 3

M and A group 4

M and A Group 5

M and A Group 5
    Thanks for this set of photos, too. I'm looking at - and enjoying them - all.

i have a neat book called Detroit Then and Now. Gives a history of some of the city's architecture, Pictures from as far back as the 1800s as well as the condition and/or changes of the building more recently. Book was published in 2001

Hey Ben,

So pleased you have returned to posting more of the City's marvelous architectural history. Thank you very much!

If you run into anything that has 630 Woodward [[old number system), please post or let me know. I would be most grateful.

As for those out there concerned about the issue of wealth in turn-of-the-century Detroit, I find it healthy to keep everything in context. What I mean by that, is to never forget the folks at all levels of society then, and also how they were involved and finally what we have left. So many craftspeople were used to help construct these works of art. Not all of them were even from the Detroit area, but their contribution is immeasurable and surprising.

The works of Renaissance painters was not available to the "working man" when they were created, and yet we revere these today as great works of beauty. Enjoy what beauty you can in these structures, I am glad some of these are around to counterbalance the ugliness one finds everywhere in the world.

FM

I am still trying to find out the name of the architect who designed the now-gone Germanic structure that stood near Gratiot and Broadway.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...he-Hatter-site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast