Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This quote from the article is very interesting:

Along with the letters, the residents were given a state document to vacate, the step prior to eviction.
    Residents also received a copy of a hand-written note apologizing for the short notice. The note over what appears to be Mercier's signature explains he signed an option to sell the buildings a year ago. He explains he asked the new owner to extend the time for the residents to leave but that request was declined. Mercier could not be reached for comment Monday.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2RHpdG3g2

I'm wondering why the urgency?

Demo to begin within months?

If so, why do those parcels need to be demolished now????

I don't see those parcels as being central to a new arena, whenever that might start...

I would assume those parcels would be used for 'spin off' development, after the arena has been built.

Any ideas?????
    Just off the top of my heard, the "thirty day notice" is a negotiating ploy. Everyone gets poutrage about the thirty days and the developer then "magnanimously" agrees to allow them to stay for ninety days and aid with resettlement. If he started out with ninety days notice, that would be the starting point for negotiations.

I love how everyone just assumes they are going to be demolished. No where does it say that is happening. They could just as easily be rehabbed and rented to higher income people [[true gentrification). I mean the Ilitch plan is to include residential.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    What people here don't understand is that this happens in real cities all the time. Why is it that everyone is complaining about losing some building? Unless you actually live in the building who cares? You're losing an ugly building to build something bigger and better and people are actually complaining?

Detroit's never going to get better with the attitudes some people have, some people think that they need to save every single building simply because it's a historic building. Look, Detroit has let these buildings sit empty and crumble for the last 50 or so years, nothing has been done in these buildings for that long. If I had a vote on this I'd say knock it down and build something better, it happens in my hometown of Chicago, Illinois all the time.
    I don't think people so much mind the demolition of these buildings.

What they mind more so is what's replacing these buildings. Unlike in Chicago, what's usually replacing these demolished structures, if not a vacant lot or parking lot, is suburban-esque developments.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I love how everyone just assumes they are going to be demolished. No where does it say that is happening. They could just as easily be rehabbed and rented to higher income people [[true gentrification). I mean the Ilitch plan is to include residential.
    His track record says otherwise...

If the buyer is, in fact, Mike Ilitch... what was the last building he rehabbed/renovated/restored? The Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't think people so much mind the demolition of these buildings.

What they mind more so is what's replacing these buildings. Unlike in Chicago, what's usually replacing these demolished structures, if not a vacant lot or parking lot, is suburban-esque developments.
    The question on demolishing is HOW LONG does the land stay vacant [[or surface parking) until redeveloped?

What is sad is to see demolitions and then something happens and redevelopment plans, assuming there are such plans, fall by the wayside.

BTW, I do agree with the 30 day notice as being the 'first step in the process" which are known to drag on.

If you want them out in 120 days, start by asking for 30 days and prepare. It is essentially contingency planning for a developer assuming that 30 days won't be 30 days...

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Nice scoop on the news gthomas.

If it looks like Ilitch, walks like Ilitch and quacks like Ilitch, it must be Ilitch. Too bad they didn't show more compassion for the residents, that by all accounts were paying their rents faithfully, yet are given only 30 days to vacate.
    The Neo-Savior did this to old folks on Washington Boulevard, too...I was going to start a thread on their displacement, but since I'm already viewed as an anti-Gilbert word-bully I thought the better of it.

But yeah, those who warn against gentrification are getting strong confirmations from these two...and now have many poster-people to help support their cause.

How can developers force these changes more responsibly?! Dumping the elderly, indigent, and the sick on the street most certainly is the opposite of that.

What an ugly start to the day...but then again, I don't have to uproot and move today.

Blueidone answered my question. Didn't read through that until now...bravo.

The question on demolishing is HOW LONG does the land stay vacant [[or surface parking) until redeveloped?
    In Detroit, other than a few exceptions, a LONG time [[as past instances have shown).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In Detroit, other than a few exceptions, a LONG time [[as past instances have shown).
    Yes and no.

or to quote a co-worker: "Have to disaggregate the aggregate".

The area to be used for the arena will obviously go first.

Area adjacent to the arena next e.g., a parking garage, maybe an eatery, etc.

Also maybe areas near M-1 rail stops next.

Some of the spinoff development will lag until 'conditions are right'.

Since the amount of land being talked about is so large, development will probably come in 'waves' and not all of a sudden or not just an arena now and nothing else for 5 or 10 years.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-23-13 at 09:04 AM.

Yes and no.

or to quote a co-worker: "Have to disaggregate the aggregate".

The area to be used for the arena will obviously go first.

Area adjacent to the arena next e.g., a parking garage, maybe an eatery, etc.

Also maybe areas near M-1 rail stops next.

Some of the spinoff development will lag until 'conditions are right'.

Since the amount of land being talked about is so large, development will probably come in 'waves' and not all of a sudden or not just an arena now and nothing else for 5 or 10 years.
    In other words, you have to get rid of the existing residents because there might maybe could be a Bar Louie there in the future.

Good work, Detroit!

I'll tell you guys what I get tired of. When people get upset over the forced displacement of the low-income and then out of the woodwork comes the," Oh you people and your preservation bullshit... you want to save every little crumbling building...." This isnt about saving crumbling buildings, it's about treating peple with some effin dignity. Red Herrings dont change the fact that only certain types of people are being forced out, and now that the rents have gone through the roof, where are these folks most likely to end up?

In parts of town not within the "Detroit Framework Project" that's where. Places where you come home from your 10 hr shift to find your house cleaned out. Or where the police are less likely to show up in any kind of remarkable time. Where youre more likely to be robbed because you will be forced to walk farther to a bus that will actually get you to your job.

Some of these folks being gentrified out of the Corridor have been living in this building for over 10 years, and some have been living in the Corridor for the majority of their grown lives. This idea that just because they're renters they somehow arent affected as aversely as property owners and that it comes with the territory is just some elitist bullshit that makes it easier to think less of others. Their small community is about to be ripped apart, and their lives turned upside-down. People are quick to talk when they've never had to face this sort of cost and sadness.

Here's the building. Can't say I will be sad to see this one go.

Name:  henry.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  36.9 KB

Looks ripe for a four-story Cheesecake Factory.

If they can do it for a BWW's...

First people complain that Detroit is ignored with development, then they complain that it is being gentrified. Make up your friggen minds you really cannot have one without the other. I am not advocating throwing people out on their asses but there is inevitably going to be some reorganizing of people to give us the Detroit we all want. Yes I realize what Ilitch's record is with his properties but with the proposal put forth for the arena development I would give these buildings 50/50 shot of remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post

Name:  henry.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  36.9 KB

That is the back of the building of course it is unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    First people complain that Detroit is ignored with development, then they complain that it is being gentrified. Make up your friggen minds you really cannot have one without the other. I am not advocating throwing people out on their asses but there is inevitably going to be some reorganizing of people to give us the Detroit we all want. Yes I realize what Ilitch's record is with his properties but with the proposal put forth for the arena development I would give these buildings 50/50 shot of remaining.

It's not a one-or-the-other proposition. There are plenty of empty lots in Detroit, even downtown. Develop those lots.

There's no reason that even more perfectly acceptable buildings need to be demolished, and even more residents displaced, for the sake of the suburban entertainment dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    In other words, you have to get rid of the existing residents because there might maybe could be a Bar Louie there in the future.

Good work, Detroit!
    No, you have to get rid of the existing residents because it's easier to make the case for your tax subsidies when the area you're "developing" is empty and blighted than when it's poor but pretty much functional.

If the buyer is, in fact, Mike Ilitch... what was the last building he rehabbed/renovated/restored? The Fox?
    that was like 30 eyars ago, I bet he has no idea what is going on with this stuff. its who ever is running the palce over there not caring about anything but the bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I'll tell you guys what I get tired of. When people get upset over the forced displacement of the low-income and then out of the woodwork comes the," Oh you people and your preservation bullshit... you want to save every little crumbling building...." This isnt about saving crumbling buildings, it's about treating peple with some effin dignity. Red Herrings dont change the fact that only certain types of people are being forced out, and now that the rents have gone through the roof, where are these folks most likely to end up?

In parts of town not within the "Detroit Framework Project" that's where. Places where you come home from your 10 hr shift to find your house cleaned out. Or where the police are less likely to show up in any kind of remarkable time. Where youre more likely to be robbed because you will be forced to walk farther to a bus that will actually get you to your job.

Some of these folks being gentrified out of the Corridor have been living in this building for over 10 years, and some have been living in the Corridor for the majority of their grown lives. This idea that just because they're renters they somehow arent affected as aversely as property owners and that it comes with the territory is just some elitist bullshit that makes it easier to think less of others. Their small community is about to be ripped apart, and their lives turned upside-down. People are quick to talk when they've never had to face this sort of cost and sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Uh, that's what the Cass Corridor looks like. Walk down any alley in the gentrified parts of Midtown and it will look exactly like that picture. None of the individual buildings are one-of-a-kind cultural treasures or anything, but put a bunch of them together and you get a neighborhood. Put a bunch of those together and you get a city. Some people don't like cities. I do. If you don't, there are plenty of non-city housing options that should satisfy your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    About 8 years ago, these three buildings were rehabbed using State of Michigan Energy Efficiency grant funds. Can't remember exactly, but at minimum they got all new windows, and possibly insulation, boilers/furnaces, and other measures. Sad to see it all go down with the wrecking ball.
    Lots of comments here that might make someone think that this area is a garden spot. Have you seen most of these building? Affordable? Perhaps? Decent -- from what I know, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Lots of comments here that might make someone think that this area is a garden spot. Have you seen most of these building? Affordable? Perhaps? Decent -- from what I know, NO.
    I don't know what you mean by "this area is a garden spot." I don't know what a "garden spot" is. I live in this area. I think it's a pretty good place to live. I can't speak to the quality of individual buildings other than the one I live in; obviously, building management can make a huge difference with rentals, and if this guy cared so little about his tenants that he sold the buildings out from under them with no warning like that, I'm prepared to believe he was a shitty landlord in other respects as well. That said, people chose to live in these buildings, and are now angry about being booted, so it would seem that they found them preferable to the other available options.

It's not a one-or-the-other proposition. There are plenty of empty lots in Detroit, even downtown. Develop those lots.

There's no reason that even more perfectly acceptable buildings need to be demolished, and even more residents displaced, for the sake of the suburban entertainment dollar.
    GP... I'm wondering if all this isn't just the bad side effect of not allowing Eminent Domain for a new Hockey Arena? Back when the baseball/football stadiums were built, Eminent Domain got enough space together in the east Foxtown area to build the 2 plus space for parking/structures.

Now with Eminent Domain no longer a viable option, perhaps Ilitch has to buy much more land, just to get together a contiguous space for an arena? There are likely holdout landlords in virtually each location that Ilitch would like to build... that want astronomic amounts for their land... so Ilitch is expanding his footprint to Gerrymander enough space together to build on.

Take for example west Foxtown... Ilitch has vast landholdings in that area. But what good is it if you've got a landowner [[Alibri heirs) that owns 5 parcels [[and won't sell) right in the middle of your arena footprint?

This may be nothing more than an ugly unanticipate side effect of the Eminent Domain ban...
    Last edited by Gistok; April-23-13 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I never said it was a garden spot. I simply said that a lot of money was spent to upgrade the building just a few years ago. To those who live there, it may be the best they can do. Most of them are on very low incomes. Finding affordable housing with adequate public transportation and jobs nearby is going to be a daunting task.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast