Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Didn't you just make a long winded post only a month ago about how you were leaving Detroit because it was too hard to work with a technology startup? I believe you said you were going somewhere that welcomed your talent and desire to create a liveable city. So basically you yourself said you were going to take an easier way out. Be sure to have your colleagues chuckle at you next time.

Oh yes, here it is. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...City-[[for-now)
    Yes, I distinctly remember that long-winded piece I wrote. I also remember you being pretty salted by it and interpreting my piece as claiming that I'm "God's gift to Detroit". Clearly, you didn't find it too favorable, and this response further solidifies that opinion, but we won't stray off topic.

There's a difference between "easier" and "rational", subsidized, and the reason why New Yorkers laughed at Serbinski's claim is because they're worked their asses off to get where they are now. The community in NYC is thriving because there's a continued development of coordinated resources that continues to take a lot of time and effort. But at the end of the day, there's just as much of a challenge to launch a successful company in the major markets.

A startup doesn't want to know whether or not it's an uphill climb to get the resources they need: they just want them. Ted's vantage point is one of someone that doesn't have to worry about that. Now, if his words were emanating from a guy that's still in early seed, with little or no VC pitches lined up but an awesome idea in store, and he can't find the talent to build out his team, then I'd view this piece a little bit differently.

But Ted's a VP at a prominent VC in town living in a really nice area, and he's commanding a six-figure salary + equity options. That doesn't seem like too much of a risk-averse situation to me, and to view them as "heroes" [[or even to view himself as a hero) is a pretty interesting spin.

What do you think, subsidized? Is DVP the golden egg for the Detroit startup community? Perhaps it would be helpful to understand your vantage point on all of this, since I've shared quite a bit about my perspective but I hear none of your own.
    Last edited by michimoby; April-22-13 at 04:42 PM.