Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Answer a Difficult Question on the History of Detroit High Schools and Win a Book

This post will be in three parts because of the space limitations put on individual posts.

My book on the history of Detroit's high schools, Shadowed Brilliance: A Photographic Exploration of Detroit’s Legendary Public High Schools, is almost complete, but there are a few unanswered questions. The book will not be available to the general public, but if you are the first to answer any one of the four questions below [[and the source of your information can be confirmed), I will send you a copy of my book, free of any charge. If you help with any of the unknown colors, nicknames, or architects, I will be very grateful, and depending upon how many answers I get, I may be able to send you a copy of the book, also. If you don’t care about the book, but can provide any of the missing information, your help will be most appreciated. Here are the unknowns:

Dickinson Elementary School was built in 1889 at the NW corner of 12th Street and Brigham Street [[later renamed Calumet Street with an address number of 1910 Calumet). The school was abandoned in 1926, but began use as a cooperative school on May 28, 1928. On November 6, 1928, the school was destroyed by fire, and classes were moved to the George Trade School until a new building was built on the Dickinson site and opened on January 27, 1930, as Wilbur Wright High School at 4333 12th Street.

For whom was Dickinson School named? [[I have my suspicions, but no corroboration.)

Nordstrum High School [[1916), later connected to and merged with Southwestern High School [[1922), was named in honor of John A. Nordstrum [[1835-1905), glass manufacturer, retail grocer, and 15-year Board of Education member in Delray [[annexed by Detroit in 1906). Nordstrum died on August 18, 1905.

Can you find a photograph of John A. Nordstrum?

Hunter School was built in 1914 at 530 S. Colonial in the Village of Navarre [[renamed Oakwood in 1918). The school was named in honor of Alex M. Hunter, President of the Navarre Board of Education. In 1920, a new school building was constructed on the site, and the school became Hunter High School. In 1922, Oakwood was annexed by Detroit, and Hunter was converted to an intermediate school.

Can you find a photograph of Alex M. Hunter?

Aero Mechanics High School resided at 13214 French Road from 1943 to 1968. In 1941, the State Board of Control for Vocational Education purchased a building at 13214 French Road from Barkley-Crow Corp. From 1941 to 1943, the building was operated as a school by the Detroit Board of Education for training war production workers in the National Defense Program. In 1943, the Detroit Board of Education purchased the building, and began operations as a high school that not only granted high school degrees but also awarded Civil Aeronautics Administration Certificates that entitled graduates to work as licensed aircraft mechanics. Due to a needed expansion of City Airport, in 1968 the school moved to its present location at 10200 Erwin Ave. The school’s name was changed in 1982 to Davis Vocational Technical Center, then in 1986 to Davis Aerospace Technical High School, both in honor of Lieutenant General Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.

Can you find a photograph of Aero Mechanics High School at its first location at 13214 French Road?
    Last edited by MrWCF; April-12-13 at 01:44 AM.