Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    As a Catholic, I don't understand these ridiculous "leaders" and their moronic opinions. It has nothing to do with Catholic teachings, and everything to do with bigotry.

Do they not see the distinction between civil recognition of marriage and religious ceremony? One can support equal rights for all under the law [[legalizing gay marriages in the civil realm), while maintaining whatever age-old standard in religious ceremonies.

The church is under no threat from gay marriage. On the other hand, they risk being thrown in the dustbin of history if they keep up this bigotry, by interjecting themseleves into civil matters of no relevance to the Church.

I support gay marriage 100% and will continue to receive communion, with a clear conscience. The issue of equal rights under the law is nonnegotiable in a civil society.
    I think you're missing the point of the argument, if I understand it correctly, it boils down to this.... one who claims to be catholic can not, in any fashion, support SSM.

Although I disagree with the position, I see the point. If the catholic church says gay=bad in any and all context, then yes, it's a bit like perjury to come in take communion. If you're going to have standards, what good is it not to uphold them?

Frankly, I'd like to see the church affirm and amplify this message nationwide and from every pulpit. It'll make their slide into irrelevance that much quicker.
    Last edited by bailey; April-08-13 at 08:26 AM.