Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, you picked up right where you left off bitching about the suburbs. Next time you get deployed do us a favor and don't come back.
    if you plan on never spending money in the city again does that mean you'll leave this site as well? many of us would like to know.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    if you plan on never spending money in the city again does that mean you'll leave this site as well? many of us would like to know.
    No. Reading how a road in Warren or a piece of litter downtown has just devastated Detroit is the kind of humor that gets me through my work day.

No. Reading how a road in Warren or a piece of litter downtown has just devastated Detroit is the kind of humor that gets me through my work day.
    troll away then.

...a road in Warren...
    Does anyone know what being referenced there?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Does anyone know what being referenced there?
    It's from other threads.

It's from other threads.
    Yeah...what road is that?

Shollin Guest

Yeah...what road is that?
    It wasn't a specific road. Just in general when people start harping on how people in the suburbs who paid to have roads built ruined Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It doesn't cost extra money when plenty of cops are already covering the event.
    This.
    And the response of the police on duty. Try going to an event in Chene Park [[Birmingham) and pissing behind a building. Maybe tossing your empty beer bottles and McDonalds bag out the window as you drive in Dearborn. Either way, I can't see the citys' finest turning a blind eye to that behavior.

It wasn't a specific road. Just in general when people start harping on how people in the suburbs who paid to have roads built ruined Detroit.
    Ok, I know what you're referring to now.

And Detroitnerd was right. When the roads in Warren were built [[to help people flee from Detroit and develop there), Detroit was a net donor to that construction while Warren was a net receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    This.
    And the response of the police on duty. Try going to an event in Chene Park [[Birmingham) and pissing behind a building. Maybe tossing your empty beer bottles and McDonalds bag out the window as you drive in Dearborn. Either way, I can't see the citys' finest turning a blind eye to that behavior.
    The events held in Detroit turn into drunk fests and the problem is its actually encouraged for the sole purpose of making money by bars, parking lots, and sports teams.

Shollin Guest

Ok, I know what you're referring to now.

And Detroitnerd was right. When the roads in Warren were built [[to help people flee from Detroit and develop there), Detroit was a net donor to that construction while Warren was a net receiver.
    The people moved to Warren before the roads were built. The roads were gravel and the residents paid to have them paved. In some areas of Warren there are still gravel roads. On top of that, the houses had wells and had to pay to hook to the city water. If Detroit was a desirable place to live, people wouldn't want to be fleeing in the first place. Instead you want to block roads and force people to stay in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    The events held in Detroit turn into drunk fests and the problem is its actually encouraged for the sole purpose of making money by bars, parking lots, and sports teams.
    That's the nature of large events like that though. Every football game in Ann Arbor or East Lansing is the same way. Concerts at DTE are often the same way. Events where there are large crowds and drinking is engrained in the culture [[sports, concerts, etc), that's what happens. The longer the event, even more so [[more time to drink and more trash).

The differences you may see in different places typically lie in cleanup, which should be something that the parking lots address. Owners should be heavily ticketed [[hey, more revenue!) if their lots are not cleaned up in a certain reasonable time frame. I saw lots charging $40 [[for parking, not even tailgate areas) and up on Friday, they can afford cleanup. If they can't, they can afford a ticket.

If it's any consolation I saw quite a few of the Roger Penske "Clean Detroit" or whatever it's called trash cans and vehicles on some of the main sidestreets leading to Comerica for Saturdays game. Now there's a suburbanite trying to help out with the litter problem. Thanks Roger!

I just wish "Tigers Fans Trash Detroit" was the top headline on the front page of the Free Press. So sick of important news about what's going on in the world being buried by advertisements for sports on the front page. But I guess that would be another thread for everybody to get ornery in..

I can't believe I wasted hundreds of dollars in Detroit. After being unable to get off work Friday for the opener, I went to the game yesterday and stayed downtown to watch the Michigan game. The hypocrisy is appalling. If Detroit doesn't want suburbanites in their city, than by all means feel free to keep your thugs out of the inner ring suburbs. People here support Coleman Young in his thoughts about the suburbs and then will be the first to whine about L Brooks Paterson. You whine about the suburbs abandoning Detroit and then complain when suburbanites come downtown. All this talk about shops and restaurants and yet when they're patronized by suburbanites Detroit whines. I hear how Detroit needs to be the center of the region when they poach jobs from the suburbs but then have the nerve to complain when suburbanites spend their money and free time downtown. I hope the Red Wings move to the Palace. Since my money and time is unwanted in Detroit, that's one less reason to go to Detroit. Auburn Hills doesn't bitch about outsiders coming into the city for an event at the Palace.
    Dude you are not getting it . A lot of trash is expected .
    No one is saying that suburban money is not appreciated , Of course Detroit is the center of the region , and we all love the tigers, wings , and lions and we all love to show our support, but what was allowed to go on opening day was a bit much.
    Last year was bad , but this year was worse .
    I had to work yesterday and saw it first hand , it was REALLY bad, and yes it was mostly drunk suburbanites , we all know this , lets not play games folks.
    And no one is saying don't come to Detroit to party, but show a LITTLE respect , they wouldn't do this crap in Auburn Hills outside of the parking lot .
    They were treating Detroit like a dump.
    I was with a friend, a woman from the Suburbs [[Westland), white, with two great kids in college[[NYU,Columbia) that day around 6:30pm , looking for a place to eat , every place was PACK ! and I'm glad for that and the bar owners , love that they are making money, but what we heard and saw was appalling .
    It goes to show how some "fans" act and feel about the city when they come into town.
    It is understandable that folks will party , but the stuff we saw was crazy, I wish we could have taped it and played it back for these folks to show how messy drunk they were .
    Really drunk guys and a LOT of drunk girls I felt like I was on spring break and mardi grais, and a frat party all at the same time .
    We actually saw a really drunk guy turn over a planter outside of coaches corner , WTF ? I mean come on just because you paid $40.00 buck to park doesn't give you the right to act like an ass.
    Let me try that shit in Royal Oak, Auburn hills , Dearborn, ect and see what happens , my ass would be lock up right away!
    The DPD should have given a lot of tickets that day.
    I've lived in Europe and yes it does happen but I haven't seen it happen like this.
    These people came in to the city and felt " it's a shithole anyway"
    It's like inviting someone into your home to party and they piss and spill drinks all over your house , what would you do? stop them and tell them that's not ok and you wont be invited back next time , and NO we don't need money from "fans" like that !
    If "fans" come into the city, enjoy your self, have fun but show respect .
    Oh and btw the clean Detroit guys and gals do a GREAT job keeping downtown clean EVERYDAY . Most of the time downtown if very clean and most folks don't have a problem with that it's just during/after that games
    MAYBE we should do like the do in other cities I've been to, right after the parade/event they send big trucks and cleaning crews shooting water on the streets to clean, it's kinda rude, but, hey it works ! and gets the message across , take your drunk ass HOME ! party's over !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-08-13 at 05:53 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    troll away then.
    Shollin must be Jim Fouts.

If it wasnt for those darn suburbanites the city would be so clean.
    Especially the lily white ones.

Top ten dumbest threads ever on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I just wish "Tigers Fans Trash Detroit" was the top headline on the front page of the Free Press. So sick of important news about what's going on in the world being buried by advertisements for sports on the front page. But I guess that would be another thread for everybody to get ornery in..
    Where do you find important news of world events in the Free Press these days?

Speaking of which, I'm going to come to your work and slap the you-know-what's out of your mouth if you don't shut up about how Warren is great and Detroit sucks already. That's not the point of this form, don't you freaking get that yet? If you hate Detroit so much why don't you take everyone's advice and get lost?

Yeah, I don't like Warren, but I don't go to the Warren Community Center and accost people about it. That would be freaking insane person behavior, get me?

I wondered where you had been, Poobs. Your snark makes me laugh out loud...welcome back

Most of the city looks like a landfill and yet we're calling out suburbanites for pumping millions of dollars into downtown? I wish Detroiters didn't trash my neighborhood in Harper Woods but it happened. When you put on a large even, there will be clean up. I keep hearing how racist the suburbs are and how we need to come together and help poor Detroit and then Detroiters turn around and cry about the suburbs spending in their city?

So because you spend a couple bucks downtown its ok for you to shit all over it? I spend a ton of money in Dearborn, I dont through my food and beer cans on peoples lawns

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Part of the problem is that there are no public trash cans in Detroit. Hard to complain about people throwing trash on the streets when you don't offer them an alternative place to put it.
    There are trash cans lining Woodward north of 75. The day after the game, the Ilitch folks had collected all the trash from the adjacent lots [[up to and including a goddamn couch) and piled it on the public sidewalk next to and on top of the city trash cans, to make room for more cars in the lots. Responsible corporate citizenship at its finest.

Has anyone been to Royal Oak on a weekend?
    Believe me, I have. Royal Oak on a weekend is high on the list of reasons I now live in Detroit. But having grown up about a mile from downtown Royal Oak, I can say that I've never in my life seen Royal Oak look even 5% as trashed as my current neighborhood looked at 8pm on Opening Day. And I've lived here long enough to know what it looks like on non-game days, and I can tell the fucking difference.

Shollin Guest

People must have never been to a large event in a major city before. Not all litter is caused by people throwing it on the ground. Sometimes garbage cans overfill and it blows away or people accidentally drop something. Comerica is a mess after the game. That's why the Tigers hire someone to clean the park. That's why businesses in the suburbs hire maintenance people to clean the parking lot. Most cities have street sweepers. Does Detroit have street sweepers? When thousands of people gather, there will be litter. Look at Ann Arbor on Saturday. They were burining couches in the street. Instead of whining Ann Arbor cleaned up. That's one of the reason Ann Arbor is continually ranked as one of the best places to live and Detroit is not.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast